What's new

Tow Rig / DD / Plow Rig Tires

Buy em then.

Let us know how they work :flipoff2:
I have a hard time imagining them doing anything other than lasting decades considering that the vehicle they're going on moves about a mile a year, spends the rest of the time in a garage out of the sun and has real steering so they won't get scrubbed all the time.

But I'd rather go with a new Chicom MT if anyone knows of one that can take studs and at least pretends to not be total trash in the snow.

I read good things and so far, like the kenda klever rt. Normally in not an Rt fan, but they seem like just a mild mt. Not giant triangles across the whole tire.

I had a set of Falken Wildpeak put on my Yukon XL 2500 today. Just under $1k all in. My local guy said he’s been having great luck with them for the last couple years. This rig spends 90% of it’s time pulling a 23’ enclosed trailer with snowmobiles or a sxs so we’ll see how they hold up.

My oldest son and I have both put Treadwright tires on trucks, they were an ok alternative when they were cheap. Now you can get a quality tire for not much more.

I skimmed most of the thread and mostly got tow rig tires and snow driving out of it. Not worth a new thread I don't think.

So I'm buying tires for my big yellow trailer.
20210608_173940.jpg

Tandem duals. It's going to sit most of the time and then when needed make trips hauling BDL shit or my backhoe. I would guess a couple of thousand miles a year max. I have a 14k trailer for most of my usual BS. Am I overthinking it to buy anything but the plain cheapest 14 ply tires from Amazon/Ebay? They aren't going to be worn out before they dry rot from sitting in the sun.
Do certain brands seem to last longer before cracking?:lmao:

14 plys will be good for over 8k per corner. Probably overkill for what you're wanting. I'd probably just get some OK 10 plys and call it good if you're aren't planning on putting 20k on it all the time.

Has anyone run the Goodyear UltraTerrain AT yet? I had planned on getting WildPeak AT3's but at 400 a tire compared to 320 for the goodyear I'm considering going to those. Truck is a 2014 F-350 primarily used for towing my 4Runner or enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter.
just now seeing this.

I have these on my '15 Ram CCSB Cummins, size is LT275 /70 R18 125Q E1 SBL.. They do ok but seem to pick up a lot of rocks and pitch them. can't really say how well they wear but average I guess. I can't remember how many miles on them now but they are about 1/2 tread. I think around 30k on them. Had one replaced under warranty when the wife ran over something big passing a construction site.. I tow about 20-22k gross occasionally and it seems to do ok. wet and dry traction is satisfactory and they track straight on the highway. I stay out of the mud with them but have pulled into a buddy's wet lake property with my camper and didn't get stuck. For the money I would buy them again. They are $256 at Discount Tire locally.

I had a set of Falken Wildpeak put on my Yukon XL 2500 today. Just under $1k all in. My local guy said he’s been having great luck with them for the last couple years. This rig spends 90% of it’s time pulling a 23’ enclosed trailer with snowmobiles or a sxs so we’ll see how they hold up.

Please keep us updated on them.

I'd run the shitty tires that's on it and just carry a few spares to throw on as they shred.
esp. with the duals where you already got a bunch of spares on the trailer preinstalled
The tires on it are too crappy for me to stand by to air them up to 65 psi. I had to put them to 30 to haul it home and was sketched out by that.

Anybody use the older Cooper AT3 (prior to the 4S/XLT)? Walmart apparently has a deal with Cooper to produce the old style tire exclusively for them. Shopping for 275/55-20's for my F150 and they are damn near half the price compared to the current AT3 4S ($124 vs $242 each at tirerack)

Last edited:
Anybody use the older Cooper AT3 (prior to the 4S/XLT)? Walmart apparently has a deal with Cooper to produce the old style tire exclusively for them. Shopping for 275/55-20's for my F150 and they are damn near half the price compared to the current AT3 4S ($124 vs $242 each at tirerack)

Had them on my 7.3 Super Duty. Hated them. Wore like shit.

Anyone tried M-55’s? My cheap Walmart Linglongs have survived 3 years without much issue but figure I can step up in quality

Anyone tried M-55’s? My cheap Walmart Linglongs have survived 3 years without much issue but figure I can step up in quality
Ya, i posted about them in here if you want to read more.

In short, they are terrible highway tires, they wander like worn out super swampers. I tried literally 25 psi to 80 psi, and hated them so much I sold them with 6k miles on them.

They're great for trucks that spend the vast majority of their life on gravel.

I have a set of these on a plow truck. Prior to that I ran them on my 99 Ram Cummins before I sold it. Absolutely terrible traction in snow.

33k on the patagonia XT's. They threw rocks like crazy when I first got them, but have always ridden well on the highway and done what I needed to do in the dirt. Got them on a 2500 hemi ram and fully expect to get 40k out of them. I honestly think I'll probably buy them again, at $200 a tire, it's not a bad deal.

Since this seems to be fairly open for random questions, I'll put mine :flipoff2:

Wife's truck is a 15 F150, gets used to tow occasionally. I put discount tires house brand (pathfinder at's) which are basically the last version of the Hankook at2 or whatever. Everyone loves the handkooks on here so I gave them a shot. They were cheap, like $800 installed with warrantys.

They seem to wear like iron, but are also loud, which is annoying since it's the only vehicle I own that is actually quiet.

But the biggest thing is they seem to really suck in snow. Which makes me think I should just get some dedicated winter tires and cheap wheels.

Or should I just get some better at's and give up on these things? I was pretty
Happy with bfg ko2s on my old F350 In snow/ice with my cab over or a trailer. My buddy is working on like 70k miles on his ko2s on an F150 :laughing:

^^^ interesting..my same version of hankooks work great in snow. Hankook makes pathfinder at's for Discounttire

Since this seems to be fairly open for random questions, I'll put mine :flipoff2:

Wife's truck is a 15 F150, gets used to tow occasionally. I put discount tires house brand (pathfinder at's) which are basically the last version of the Hankook at2 or whatever. Everyone loves the handkooks on here so I gave them a shot. They were cheap, like $800 installed with warrantys.

They seem to wear like iron, but are also loud, which is annoying since it's the only vehicle I own that is actually quiet.

But the biggest thing is they seem to really suck in snow. Which makes me think I should just get some dedicated winter tires and cheap wheels.

Or should I just get some better at's and give up on these things? I was pretty
Happy with bfg ko2s on my old F350 In snow/ice with my cab over or a trailer. My buddy is working on like 70k miles on his ko2s on an F150 :laughing:
I was happy with the snow performance of the patagonias back during Texas snowmageddon. I went to work every day after topping off the generator gas while the rest of the neighborhood burrowed under blankets in their homes...that said, that's the only time it's been in the snow. They're quiet, well mannered, and pretty even wear for only rotating them about every 15k. :lmao:

At Discount tire this am. Nitto all terrains Wore to the bars in 20k.

Had good traction, but were soft as butter.

Discount tire could not get a Michelin at load range E, so they warrenty comped the Nittos.
Do not reccomend. And to add insult to injury, zero treadwear warrenty from Nitto.

Manager gave me 120.00 comp for my trouble..

I loved/love the Michelin E range AT.
Wear like iron.

Luckily they are back in stock.

( let's hope they solved the tread separation issues )

Single rear wheel, shortbox ext cab Duramax, 25 foot gooseneck/Lance/Yota-toter. 19k total weight.

At Discount tire this am. Nitto all terrains Wore to the bars in 20k.

Had good traction, but were soft as butter.

Discount tire could not get a Michelin at load range E, so they warrenty comped the Nittos.
Do not reccomend. And to add insult to injury, zero treadwear warrenty from Nitto.

Manager gave me 120.00 comp for my trouble..

I loved/love the Michelin E range AT.
Wear like iron.

Luckily they are back in stock.

( let's hope they solved the tread separation issues )

Single rear wheel, shortbox ext cab Duramax, 25 foot gooseneck/Lance/Yota-toter. 19k total weight.

Say wat?

You got $120 total for 50k mile tires wearing out in 20k? Or ea tire?

Then you got the same tires?

Wtf are you saying?

:flipoff2:

:) I'll type slower for you. ;)

"I loved/love the Michelin E range AT."

"Luckily they are back in stock"

And, no. There is no treadwear warrenty for the Nitto.

The nittos were comped because the Michelins were out of stock. ( I just paid for mounting)

So, I got 120.00 plus my discount off the new Michelins due to the nittos flatlining in 20k miles.

So. Avoid the Nittos for highway use, the compound is too soft.

Last edited:
How are you typing such a simple story so fucked up?

Here

A while back I put nitto at's on my truck because I couldn't get the Michelins I like. Those pieces of shit wore out in 20k miles. Soft tread I think.

Went back to Americas tire. They gave me a whopping $120 off of my ~$1600. Luckily, the Michelins were back in stock and now on my truck.

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

$120 is garbage, I would have went Karen on them for a real prorate. You should have gotten about 60% back.

I love this place.... ;)

( dont buy Nittos for towing, they bring the suck )

Toyo Open Country C/T's are great in the snow and do well for mileage and on the highway. Also they dont throw little stones, had them on my '12 Cummins, probably one of the best tires I ever used...and fuck BFGoodrich AT's they are garbage

Top Back Refresh