What's new

Tow Rig / DD / Plow Rig Tires

I don’t recall talking to anyone disappointed with the AT3W. They seem like a solid tire.

they have a weird smell when new, but have had two sets and love 'em. Wish I had kept the set on my old f350 when i sold it

they have a weird smell when new, but have had two sets and love 'em. Wish I had kept the set on my old f350 when i sold it

Did you ever try the Wildpeak AT2? They smelled like cow shit when new and any time they got hot on the freeway for about a year 😂.

Did you ever try the Wildpeak AT2? They smelled like cow shit when new and any time they got hot on the freeway for about a year 😂.

no, sir... just the AT3's. Had a weird silicon smell when new.

djljeep are you still happy with the Grabber A/TX tires on your truck? How loud are they on the road?
Looking to replace tires on our 2002 F350 SRW (all stock, 16" rims), its a farm truck, usually ends up with 4-5k miles per year, gets run on the road, goes into the field on occasion, dont want to get stuck, but more don't want to have howling tires on the road.
Anyone else have suggestions?
IIRC the shop carries Cooper, General Tire and most of the big brands.

Thanks

Aaron Z

djljeep are you still happy with the Grabber A/TX tires on your truck? How loud are they on the road?
Looking to replace tires on our 2002 F350 SRW (all stock, 16" rims), its a farm truck, usually ends up with 4-5k miles per year, gets run on the road, goes into the field on occasion, dont want to get stuck, but more don't want to have howling tires on the road.
Anyone else have suggestions?
IIRC the shop carries Cooper, General Tire and most of the big brands.

Thanks

Aaron Z
I'm happy with the pattern - like i've said previously I've used these types of tread on my DD including some abusive plowing and they are awesome for traction. When they are at full tread they are not that loud, way better than a mud tire. As with any tire when you wear them down they get a little louder. I'll look at the tread depth tonight, but I've got some decent mileage on them already. I had one cup pretty badly but that was my own fault from a bum tierod end.

I'm happy with the pattern - like i've said previously I've used these types of tread on my DD including some abusive plowing and they are awesome for traction. When they are at full tread they are not that loud, way better than a mud tire. As with any tire when you wear them down they get a little louder. I'll look at the tread depth tonight, but I've got some decent mileage on them already. I had one cup pretty badly but that was my own fault from a bum tierod end.
Glad to hear it, I have an appointment to get a set of them put on the truck next week.

Aaron Z

well shit, here's the thread I was looking for :homer:

for the life of me, can't remember what tire I put on the suburban but they did really well.

is anybody making a highway tire for a 16.5" wheel other than firestone? the internet is only turning up them

$178/tire isn't unreasonable, but options would be nice :rasta:

There's some retreads available but Firestone seems to be the only people making new casings. You should convert to 16s though since this is a tow rig. I really wouldn't want to need to source one mid-trip.

Action fap had a set of $300 aluminum 8x6.5 16" trailer rims that he put through hell with no ill effects.

the transforces are good tires, we put them on electrician vans with the TIB and they're always loaded to about 9k
only ones that seem to get reasonable life out of the very few we've tried

the transforces are good tires, we put them on electrician vans with the TIB and they're always loaded to about 9k
only ones that seem to get reasonable life out of the very few we've tried
Yeah I did some terrible things to a set of them (also on a TTB vehicle) and they never gave me problems over 50k+. They still basically look new but they've been sitting outside for years without rolling at this point. For how much I paid I definitely got my money's worth.

But it's not like you can't also get them in 16s or 17s.

But it's not like you can't also get them in 16s or 17s.
well if you've got 17s or 18s there's a whole fuckton of used tires with great tread behind every tire shop
16s kinda suck for availibility any more, sadly
Only ones I've been seeing are the 235/65/16s that come off of the new ford vans. They're tiny in diameter but still good for 3200 apiece, so I've been grabbing them for trailers.

Bump.

Have had Yokohama Geolandar X-AT in the 285/70R17 flavor on my truck for the past 20K. Overall, I’m very impressed with them. They seem to be a nice compromise between an A/T and a M/T. Road noise is somewhere between the two. I’ve run quite a few sets of BFG A/Ts KOs and KO2s, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, and a set of Duratracs. The X-ATs are noisier than the BFG A/Ts, but less than a Duratrac. Wet weather traction has been excellent. We pretty much have clay soils, and the X-ATs clean out decently vs. a BFG A/T. Flotation on sand seems to be similar to a BFG A/T. I’ve chunked out tires driving caliche roads in the area also. The X-ATs have helped up well to that so far. I would estimate around 50% tread left right now. I won’t be shocked if I get over 40K on a set though.

I pulled the trigger on the TreadWright’s so we’ll see I guess.
So turns out they
1.jpg
are hot garbage, and TreadWrights customer service is absolute garbage as well.
8,800 miles., 10-15 of that "off road" (off road in my boat means just fire roads down to the river) They said because I took them off road they would not honor the warranty, even though pretty much every add of theirs on FB shows them off road. And they blocked me from their FB page, fucking bitches.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

So turns out they are hot garbage, and TreadWrights customer service is absolute garbage as well.
8,800 miles., 10-15 of that "off road" (off road in my boat means just fire roads down to the river) They said because I took them off road they would not honor the warranty, even though pretty much every add of theirs on FB shows them off road. And they blocked me from their FB page, fucking bitches.
I have a friend who ran them and had one delaminate, and they didn't do a thing for him. He bashes them and their awful service at every available opportunity.

Edit: upon further review, I called that on the last page. Moving on.

In other news, Grabbers on my doody are not going to make winter. One of them cupped pretty bad from bad front end parts, and got moved to the back, and is now almost bald. the other three are 1/4-1/3 tread maybe. My inspection is overdue so I might throw an old spare on the one tire to get stickered, but they won't do much plowing this year I suspect. Partially my fault for rotating them a grand total of 1-2 times, but still.

Once again, the search is on for a good all year AT type tire that isnt a Nitto, that will plow well and last more than 25k...

So turns out they
1.jpg

8800? Or 18800?

Either way, that's horrible. They would have to be free to justify the mounting and balancing.

Then to block you, bunch of homos, hope you left bad reviews everywhere.

Edit: to add a little to the thread. I just put some kenda klever rt 35x10.50r17s on my 4runner. Not a tow rig, and tires are only D rated (3200 lbs) they have good reviews for snow traction. They also have a much more open tread than the on line pics show. Which is the same thing as the last tires I bought.

Last edited:
So turns out they
1.jpg

I'm not as big a fan of treadwright as I used to be, but c'mon man, nothing says wheelspin in rocks/gravel like two tires torn all to hell and two worn pretty smooth and normal. If I was in thier customer service I'd tell you to fawk off too:flipoff2:

I'm not as big a fan of treadwright as I used to be, but c'mon man, nothing says wheelspin in rocks/gravel like two tires torn all to hell and two worn pretty smooth and normal. If I was in thier customer service I'd tell you to fawk off too:flipoff2:

Ya, i mean without wheel spin, he might have made it to 10k miles!

I get it, but it was literally 2 trips to the river in my mega cab with my kids. Its way to long to get rowdy on the tight switchbacks to get to the river.

Am I the only one who is real hesitant of Mickey Thompson Street mt/at tires? Seems like every 6 months they're discontinuing a line and coming out with a new line? I haven't heard anything good about the baja boss MT from somebody who paid for them. Even the last episode of DED, they slipped in Dave saying "I think these tires need to break in a little" :laughing: I've never had radials need to break in, besides stickies on the tread blocks.

I get it, but it was literally 2 trips to the river in my mega cab with my kids. Its way to long to get rowdy on the tight switchbacks to get to the river.
ooooh your main contention was the mileage? I agree that is ridiculously poor tread life and I would be pissed about that too.

I'm going to need all seasons that do well in the snow here. I've got a set of Hercules studded snows, but flipping back and forth isn't viable. The TPMS sensors are a pain, the rims look like shit, they don't ride well.

Suggestions for something to leave on year round, but do exceptionally well in ice and snow? I was looking at the General Grabber line. BF Goodrich looks like another contender?

I'm going to need all seasons that do well in the snow here. I've got a set of Hercules studded snows, but flipping back and forth isn't viable. The TPMS sensors are a pain, the rims look like shit, they don't ride well.

Suggestions for something to leave on year round, but do exceptionally well in ice and snow? I was looking at the General Grabber line. BF Goodrich looks like another contender?
Those two work great in the snow, its all that has ever been on my truck. My bitch is the treadwear on a 1 ton diesel pickup is about 25-30k. the old AT2 grabbers were better but the newer ATx seems to wear faster. That being said, all of my co-workers with 1/2 ton gasser trucks get way more life out of them, and the AT2s I had on my WJ lasted like 60k.

ooooh your main contention was the mileage? I agree that is ridiculously poor tread life and I would be pissed about that too.
Yea, and one of the tires had the tread delaminate too.
But I've made that same trip to the river and multiple different tires and none of them chunked nearly that bad. Even the shitty milestars that only made it 21k didn't chunk that bad, and thy had 2-3 times as many trips on them.

Those two work great in the snow, its all that has ever been on my truck. My bitch is the treadwear on a 1 ton diesel pickup is about 25-30k. the old AT2 grabbers were better but the newer ATx seems to wear faster. That being said, all of my co-workers with 1/2 ton gasser trucks get way more life out of them, and the AT2s I had on my WJ lasted like 60k.
Yea, AT2's were the ones I was scoping out. They were the top of the list.

Yea, and one of the tires had the tread delaminate too.
But I've made that same trip to the river and multiple different tires and none of them chunked nearly that bad. Even the shitty milestars that only made it 21k didn't chunk that bad, and thy had 2-3 times as many trips on them.

When traction is so poor, they struggle for grip and end up spinning without trying, then chunking.

I have destroyed my Hankook ats towing on gravel twice. They seem to struggle, and even with me really trying not to spin, they do, and chunk to shit. I'm over trying to make at's last. I'm just going to get toyo mt's next time around. They are the only mt that really seems to hold up on a heavy tow rig that sees occasional dirt/gravel.

I’m still happy with my 10 ply 35x12.5r17 duratracs on my tundra. Probably have 30k on them and about half tread. Maybe a little more than half.

The problem I will always have with an “aggressive” tire on a DD is just general road manners, but gimme some snow or slick mud/dirt, I am prepared, so there’s always that trade off. If you know in your heart you’ll be running mostly highways, than get something geared towards that, but I live in CT and we get lots is snow, plus I have a steep ass driveway and some places I go wheeling have dirt access roads. Also having USAA and 25% off Goodyear/Kelly tires helps sway my decision.

Know how I know you've never used real studded snow tires? :flipoff2:

Get a second set of rims and sensors. It's not that hard. Any snow tire will walk all over the AT's in any sort of ice and snow.

Top Back Refresh