What's new

Tow Rig / DD / Plow Rig Tires

djljeep

Member Number
Loc
Western Maine
We had one of these threads in the old place, might as well have one in the new place, and I didn't see one after my exhausting 2 minute search. If I missed it...:flipoff2:

Tech/reviews for Tow Rigs, Daily Driver and Plow truck tires.

I'll kick it off.

2011 F-350 6.7, running 275/65R20s gets daily driven most of the time (100 mile round trip commute), also hauls my Jeep & tractor around (call it 6-10klbs 100-200 miles a month), and plowing duty in the winter (moderate commercial use). I live in Western Maine and I'm not interested in having season specific tires so I need to use something aggressive enough for plowing/ shitty weather/ dirt roads.
I've had 2 sets of Grabber AT2s, a set of Grabber ATx, and one set of BFG KO2s. They all worked exactly the way I wanted, except the ATx and BFGs wore out in <30k miles. The old AT2s got 30-40k.
I just tried to order the Grabbers again because I have access to a pretty decent discount on them that is well below MAP$ directly from continental, but they are back ordered. Looking at new options before I pay 250$ a tire for more Grabbers or KO2s. I want all terrain, but I do not want a mud tire. I do not, I repeat, do not want Nittos. My dad had ridge grapplers on similar truck and they didn't perform well and were loud as hell for an AT tire.

I've got some Cooper AT3 and have been super happy with them.

I'm sick of blowing through tires every 25-30k no matter what I run so I'm going srw 19.5s in the next 10k miles. I'm going to be looking at an aggressive 285/70/19.5. Which should be around 35x11. I'm going to try to squeeze them on my 2002 sclb f250

Last edited:
Just stuck a set of 8ply Maxxis 771s on the old lady’s truck. Smooth, quiet, we’ll see how they hold up.

Another vote for the at3 xlt I had 40k on the last set and they had like 30% tread left but were chunking out so I got a new set for 50% off

My work truck I run Falken Wildpeaks, pretty impressed with the first winter on them, we'll see how they do with 50k miles on them this winter...

I'm sick of blowing through tires every 25-30k no matter what I run so I'm going srw 19.5s in the next 10k miles. I'm going to be looking at an aggressive 285/70/19.5. Which should be around 35x11. I'm going to try to squeeze them on my 2002 sclb f250

Don't do it. It will take forever to pay for its self and they drive like shit. Terrible offroad.

Try Toyo mt's.

Don't do it. It will take forever to pay for its self and they drive like shit. Terrible offroad.

Try Toyo mt's.

Broken clock has his time of day. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Seriously though, if you're gonna run tires that ride like shit you should find a way to run used 11R22.5s. They'll still ride like shit but when you're only paying a hundred bucks each for them that's tolerable.

I guess I'm the only one who had terible luck with the AT3s. Got about 25k out of them and had no traction in any wet condition.

I went to Toyo MTs and other than the noise I'm very happy with them.

My work truck I run Falken Wildpeaks, pretty impressed with the first winter on them, we'll see how they do with 50k miles on them this winter...

Put them on the f350. Loved them

Put them on the f350. Loved them

Yeah, mine are on an F250 with an 8' utility bed. I don't load it up too heavy, but I'm over 9k "empty". I've got over 50k miles on em and tread still looks good, though I need to be better about rotating them more often, getting just a little bit of uneven wear on the fronts.

Broken clock has his time of day. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Seriously though, if you're gonna run tires that ride like shit you should find a way to run used 11R22.5s. They'll still ride like shit but when you're only paying a hundred bucks each for them that's tolerable.

If it was a heavy service truck or something, I'd say yes. But a single cab With a regular bed, it's gonna suck balls when empty.

​​​​​​Some guys just seem to east tires. My buddies had a fee dodges and always goes through tires like crazy. Hardly any towing, just kinda drives like a dick :laughing: you could either just get cheap tires since they're gonna wear out anyway, or get tires with warrantys.

We had one of these threads in the old place, might as well have one in the new place, and I didn't see one after my exhausting 2 minute search. If I missed it...:flipoff2:

Tech/reviews for Tow Rigs, Daily Driver and Plow truck tires.

I'll kick it off.

2011 F-350 6.7, running 275/65R20s gets daily driven most of the time (100 mile round trip commute), also hauls my Jeep & tractor around (call it 6-10klbs 100-200 miles a month), and plowing duty in the winter (moderate commercial use). I live in Western Maine and I'm not interested in having season specific tires so I need to use something aggressive enough for plowing/ shitty weather/ dirt roads.
I've had 2 sets of Grabber AT2s, a set of Grabber ATx, and one set of BFG KO2s. They all worked exactly the way I wanted, except the ATx and BFGs wore out in <30k miles. The old AT2s got 30-40k.
I just tried to order the Grabbers again because I have access to a pretty decent discount on them that is well below MAP$ directly from continental, but they are back ordered. Looking at new options before I pay 250$ a tire for more Grabbers or KO2s. I want all terrain, but I do not want a mud tire. I do not, I repeat, do not want Nittos. My dad had ridge grapplers on similar truck and they didn't perform well and were loud as hell for an AT tire.

Shouldnt you get a warranty on both the BFG and the General tires? Both show a 50k warranty. Although maybe getting any kind of credit might be harder than I think, I have never tried to get a tire credit based on mileage.

I was a dumbass and bought a set of Patagonia XT's earlier this year. I'm on track to getting 30k out of them, but they were only $700 for the set of 4 in 275/70/18. Definitely buy these if you like tires that pick up every fucking rock on the road and deposit them into your paint. Also a solid buy if you're looking for the tread to get totally chopped out and hammered if you're not rotating them like a religion. The BFG A/T's I had before this were great though.

Cooper st-maxx 295/70r/18 studded in the winter on the tree fiddy. Only one season so far, 3.5k miles, but held up well hauling 4500# of sap in the back on and off.

Toyo C/T best tires i've ever had by far and that includes Toyo AT's and MT's

Have you tried the R/Ts?

The c/ts look like they would wear well. But to boring for me.

I loved my R/Ts, other than in snow/ice. I have dedicated snow tires though.

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers now. I got a smokin deal on a set with 4 miles on them. Half price.:smokin:. Very good tire

All mine are 35/12.50/18s

I'll follow this.
2001 f350 7.3 eclb, levelled, and flatdecked.

I've burned up a set of nitto terra grapplers, stock f350 size, 265/75r16 maybe? those were total shit in about 10,000km for anything other than dry pavement.
the toyo m55 in 255/85r16. Great tires (I regrooved rhe center blocks when they got low🤣), but that was the biggest they made, and there was a few times that I was held back or got stuck because of them.
Now running hankook dynapro MT 315/75R16. very happy with traction, they hum on the road but its a straight piped diesel, so what's a little more noise? But I'm looking at houses 80km from work...thats gonna burn up tires.

I need a fairly aggressive tire, it's my daily, but it also goes into the bush where the roads are either blast rock, or clay slop.

I'll follow this.
2001 f350 7.3 eclb, levelled, and flatdecked.

I've burned up a set of nitto terra grapplers, stock f350 size, 265/75r16 maybe? those were total shit in about 10,000km for anything other than dry pavement.
the toyo m55 in 255/85r16. Great tires (I regrooved rhe center blocks when they got low🤣), but that was the biggest they made, and there was a few times that I was held back or got stuck because of them.
Now running hankook dynapro MT 315/75R16. very happy with traction, they hum on the road but its a straight piped diesel, so what's a little more noise? But I'm looking at houses 80km from work...thats gonna burn up tires.

I need a fairly aggressive tire, it's my daily, but it also goes into the bush where the roads are either blast rock, or clay slop.

These are the ones I'm considering. Should be just over 11" wide and 35 tall

Screenshot_20201209-063504_Samsung Internet.jpg

Have you tried the R/Ts?

The c/ts look like they would wear well. But to boring for me.

I loved my R/Ts, other than in snow/ice. I have dedicated snow tires though.

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers now. I got a smokin deal on a set with 4 miles on them. Half price.:smokin:. Very good tire

All mine are 35/12.50/18s

Toyo RTs have been my go to for a bit now. Ram through 2 sets of 37-12.5-17s on my Power Wagon. Now 285/75/18 (35x11.5) on the new truck.

Good all around use, not overly loud, look good, round.

I had 19.5 toyo's on my SRW dodge, they rode like crap when empty, got stuck at pismo and were really bad in the snow.
I had them mainly for my stupid heavy cab over camper.

I had 19.5 toyo's on my SRW dodge, they rode like crap when empty, got stuck at pismo and were really bad in the snow.
I had them mainly for my stupid heavy cab over camper.

I only use the truck for big dumb loads. The thing had probably seen 6000lbs in the bed of it 100+ times and is usually hooked to a trailer towing anywhere from 9-20k lbs.

What size tires were you running? I was hoping the 35x11s would offer a little more flotation and allow me to run a lower air pressure for the rare road trip I'm empty.

I only use the truck for big dumb loads. The thing had probably seen 6000lbs in the bed of it 100+ times and is usually hooked to a trailer towing anywhere from 9-20k lbs.

What size tires were you running? I was hoping the 35x11s would offer a little more flotation and allow me to run a lower air pressure for the rare road trip I'm empty.

I think it was the 285 /something? It was about a 35" tire

Shouldnt you get a warranty on both the BFG and the General tires? Both show a 50k warranty. Although maybe getting any kind of credit might be harder than I think, I have never tried to get a tire credit based on mileage.

Not worth the effort, and I rotate these things at best, once a year, which is incidentally the same as the life span of the tires. Ultimately I need to smarten up and DD something else, but its the hand I've been dealt. My commute will get cut in half in a couple months though.

Anybody use the AT3 or Wildpeak in actual winter conditions? Not "it snowed 3 inches and shut down my entire state" conditions.

Not worth the effort, and I rotate these things at best, once a year, which is incidentally the same as the life span of the tires. Ultimately I need to smarten up and DD something else, but its the hand I've been dealt. My commute will get cut in half in a couple months though.

Anybody use the AT3 or Wildpeak in actual winter conditions? Not "it snowed 3 inches and shut down my entire state" conditions.

I have the at3 in 285-75-18 on an 01 ram 2500 and I feel like they did an above average job in idaho snow last winter. Not as good as a dedicated snow tires of course but I always felt good even when towing a snowmobile trailer

If that's all you use it for, why do you care if the tires don't last very long?

Aggressive 19.5s are terrible on the highway. At least on a 20k service truck.

You could try some of the military tires for 16s, 255/100r16(9r16s)

You really can't air down 19.5s I mean maybe like 30 :laughing:

I drove in MN, WI, UP MI winter storms last year, plowed 20 driveways every time it snowed more than a couple inches, all on Wildpeaks. I'm pretty happy with them, would buy them for my personal truck next time...

Top Back Refresh