What's new

Tow Rig / DD / Plow Rig Tires

If that's all you use it for, why do you care if the tires don't last very long?

Aggressive 19.5s are terrible on the highway. At least on a 20k service truck.

You could try some of the military tires for 16s, 255/100r16(9r16s)

You really can't air down 19.5s I mean maybe like 30 :laughing:

I guess I shouldn't care but I hate buying tires every 2 years. I've also always been concerned about my shitty 18" rockstar wannabe rims.
My service truck drives great with agresive 19.5s but it weighs 15k lbs, is a dually, and has modern suspension under it... or I have a horribly skewed view of what a nice riding truck is.

I will say no one has told me it was/is a good idea​​​​ . So if I do it and hate it I have no one to blame but myself

allow me to run a lower air pressure for the rare road trip I'm empty.

I think I saw somewhere that truck tires don't handle airing down well. Might have been lower than just empty truck driving (aka really low for sandy conditions), but something to look into before they come apart after a few of those.

Not worth the effort, and I rotate these things at best, once a year, which is incidentally the same as the life span of the tires. Ultimately I need to smarten up and DD something else, but its the hand I've been dealt. My commute will get cut in half in a couple months though.

Anybody use the AT3 or Wildpeak in actual winter conditions? Not "it snowed 3 inches and shut down my entire state" conditions.

My X had a 4runner and the Falken AT3W handled well in every condition we drove it in. Dry, snow, gravel, wheelin rocks. Not a lot of mud here in Colorado but the one time we wheeled in the rain they kept up with my truck on Treps on an easier trail.

I run the cooper’s on my f350. Second set. I do some plowing and they have worked out well for that. Not too noisy on the highway. Got decent miles out of the first set, can’t remember exactly but want to say just shy of 50,000

I guess I shouldn't care but I hate buying tires every 2 years. I've also always been concerned about my shitty 18" rockstar wannabe rims.
My service truck drives great with agresive 19.5s but it weighs 15k lbs, is a dually, and has modern suspension under it... or I have a horribly skewed view of what a nice riding truck is.

I will say no one has told me it was/is a good idea​​​​ . So if I do it and hate it I have no one to blame but myself

Most heavy crane F550 service truck drive kinda shitty unless you run highway ribs. I've recently driven a few flatbed F550s and they seem to drive more normal.

If it were me, I'd go to 17" steel wheels and some 295 toyos, they have a 4k lb rating each. Unless you want a true 35, they have e rated 35s also.

I'm chewing on Wildpeaks... A co-worker has them and liked them. I just have an unfavorable opinion of them because of how crappy their offroad tires worked when I got to witness the UA crowd, and I didnt like the color of my falken sponsored JJUSA guide shirts. Highly technical analysis going on here.

My $.02 on 19.5s - Don't. I've driven a GM bucket truck, F350 10 foot bed hay truck, and a co-workers DD on 19.5s and they were all loud, heavy and handled poorly at best.

Anybody use the AT3 or Wildpeak in actual winter conditions? Not "it snowed 3 inches and shut down my entire state" conditions.

Yes. I put Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws on every truck I own here in Minnesota. I would put them on my Sprinter, but they don't make the size I want. 98 Ram 1500, 97 Ram 1500, and my 94 K3500. Wear forever, and pretty good traction, as long as you have weight on them. I did find them a bit slippy on glare ice with crosswinds, but I can't really blame them... I blame the DOT for that.

I got wildpeak AT3W's too, I don't have too many miles on them yet but I'll be pushing around a Boss V this winter so I think I'll figure out pretty quick if they grip or not.

I think I saw somewhere that truck tires don't handle airing down well. Might have been lower than just empty truck driving (aka really low for sandy conditions), but something to look into before they come apart after a few of those.

steel plied sidewalls don't like to flex

the wires break, then the wires cut the sidewall

I was a dumbass and bought a set of Patagonia XT's earlier this year. I'm on track to getting 30k out of them, but they were only $700 for the set of 4 in 275/70/18. Definitely buy these if you like tires that pick up every fucking rock on the road and deposit them into your paint. Also a solid buy if you're looking for the tread to get totally chopped out and hammered if you're not rotating them like a religion. The BFG A/T's I had before this were great though.

Yea i put the f rated MT's on my ram(35-12.50-18), barely got 20k out of them. Hot fucking garbage.

I use and recommend hankook dynapro ATs. I've got 20k on my them on my 2011 F-350 and they are super solid, had about that on a set on my old 99 F-250 and they looked brand new.

I'll second the dynapros. There's probably 25k miles on the set on my truck and they still look new. The stock goodyears didn't make it to 30. They're quiet on asphalt and do well enough in snow/light off road

Another vote for the Falken. I run a 285/75/17E (34) on my 1/2 ton. My 1/2 came from the factory with E rated tires. '16 RAM Rebel.

I had two sets on my last Chevy 1500. They do well in the snow and wear very well.

I use and recommend hankook dynapro ATs. I've got 20k on my them on my 2011 F-350 and they are super solid, had about that on a set on my old 99 F-250 and they looked brand new.

So I have the Hankook ATM's and they are solid, but they are discontinued. So has anyone tried the new Hankook at2? It looks tighter and is supposed to cup and gatorback less.

Anyone using the treadwright? Hard to argue with the price
world-wide-web_318-9868_small.jpg

1$ 3.99
1_01dff123-3f5e-4072-9e9e-bf1339b7d7da_small.jpg

4$ 756.96

I have them on my truck right now right rear made it 10k as I occasionally drive spirited and the remainder may make 16-18k
Would you trust them for towing? I do my 8k bumper pull about 5k per year, and about 1k per year Forrest roads and stuff like that. Rest pavement.

Would you trust them for towing? I do my 8k bumper pull about 5k per year, and about 1k per year Forrest roads and stuff like that. Rest pavement.

I tow big dumb loads all the time. Actually I'd guess 90% of the miles on these tires have been towing and I've had no problems. I am running the Axiom ats and they seem to do good off road but occasionally I have to air them down to 25ish around my property (sandy hillsides)

20201008_092911.jpg

20201107_142415.jpg

Sweet, probably going to end up with those. I may have a lead on a discount for Goodyear stuffs from someone, but if that doesn't pan out....

Anyone using the treadwright? Hard to argue with the price
world-wide-web_318-9868_small.jpg

1$ 3.99
1_01dff123-3f5e-4072-9e9e-bf1339b7d7da_small.jpg

4$ 756.96

I know a couple people who use them - One couldnt be happier, the other is aggressively opposed to them because he had several treads separate on him and customer service ignored his many requests.

In other news, I had a friend looks up costs of Grabber AT/X, Wildpeaks, and K02s and the AT/X is 50$ less a tire at his dealer cost, so thats what I'm doing. Hopefully set #3 lasts longer than the other 2....

I know a couple people who use them - One couldnt be happier, the other is aggressively opposed to them because he had several treads separate on him and customer service ignored his many requests.

In other news, I had a friend looks up costs of Grabber AT/X, Wildpeaks, and K02s and the AT/X is 50$ less a tire at his dealer cost, so thats what I'm doing. Hopefully set #3 lasts longer than the other 2....

What mileage were you getting out of the grabbers? For how much?

Those of you who manage more than a couple years out of set of tires, what are you finding maintains its snow traction as the tires age?
My Hankook Dynapro ATM where great the first couple of years, but this year, might as well have all seasons on the thing, lots of understeer also. Averaging less than 5k/year on this vehicle. I got a 10year old set of Winter Claws that perform better, just don't want to run a dedicated snow tire all year.
That said, I've had ATMs on my work truck, great on there since I wear 'em out in a couple years and never noticed the long term crappy characteristics they have.

What mileage were you getting out of the grabbers? For how much?

I was getting 28-30 out of the last set. Should've been changed at like 25-26. I want to say the dealer pricing was on the order of ~230 something for a 275/65R20.

Here we go again I guess. New set of Grabbers on.

Note, don't bitch at me for the parking, GF took the truck today and posted this on FB. Don't worry, she's already been shamed for it.
134408675_10223856382100550_2684450846441634183_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=YlgLcBJ7X5YAX9j7LpU&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&oh=524d99351615da7cdce2e91f2ffcd641&oe=60146194.jpg

[486 said:
;n251289]sick twennies brah

You should have seen the wheels that the PO had on it. Looked like somebody had chromed a raspberry bush or something with some god awful Neat-o tires. Luckily he had the stock wheels available, but my wallet would be happier if he had the 17s...

I normally run BFG KO2 all terrains as they are not much of a gamble on what you get. I ventured out and tried a set of 305/70R17 Toyo ATII load range E which rode like rocks and had a high pitch road whine. It drove me crazy and I had them off and sold within a couple weeks. Went back to KO2 in 315/70R17 load range C and they wondered a little bit and were just OK in the noise range but the ride was softer which was nice. They finally wore down and started getting loud. So I started looking and found Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75R17 load range E. I was worried about going back to E range but they ride smoother than the KO2, I can tell they are firmer but it does not feel harsh like the Toyo. They also do not pick up every detail of the road like the KO2 did. It doesn't sound right but I would say they ride softer, yet firmer. The road noise is nearly unnoticeable, sounds like the street tires that come stock, which you cant hear over normal wind vehicle noise. Tracking is almost dead on, no wondering, no pulling, just a little hint of sidewall flex which is to be expected with that much sidewall. KO2 was a little bigger but had much more wondering and sidewall flex.
Wet and dry traction is better than the KO2, no snow yet, but they are snow rated and other have said they perform well in the snow.
True test will be when they are worn out, but in new condition they are great.
https://www.falkentire.com/tires/lig...peaka/t3w-tire

Update 10 months and around 10K in and they are just like new. The smallest amount of feathering on the outside fronts, less than any other tire on this truck. Goes away by the time the rears rotate back up to the front. Have been rotating around 3K miles just to make sure it doesn't go too far. Still quiet as day one. No flats. No damage. No odd things happening. Id take a picture but they look the same, only covered in manure and dirt.

E65CDBED-95DE-4A20-A438-A3A04E89DE79.jpeg

E469619F-9747-4E6A-AE54-61FCBB46DBF2.jpeg

Last edited:
I ran 2 sets of Cooper ATP's on my F250 over 5 years and 100k miles, no complaints in the snow or pulling trailers at all. I went with the Falken AT3W's on the new dually F350 just because that's what Discount Tire had in stock and they had pretty decent reviews as well. So far so good with them as well, no noticeable cupping or anything strange in the first 7k miles.

I don’t recall talking to anyone disappointed with the AT3W. They seem like a solid tire.

Top Back Refresh