What's new

99-04 Dana 60 & 50 Tech

Hmmm....something's seriously off on weights on the main SD60 05+ thread then:

'05+ Ford Super Duty Dana 60 Axle Tech & Info

1st post says ~750 lbs fully loaded.

Axle Specs:
-Tubes: 3.75" OD, 1/2" wall
-WMS to WMS: 72"
-Ring Gear: 9.75" (a 10" can be sourced from Ford in limited ratios)
-Lug Pattern: 8x170
-Wheel Studs: M14x1.50
-Weight: Approximately 750lbs loaded with brakes
-Axle shafts: 35 spline
-U-joints: 1480
-Tone ring: 60 tooth
Gotta be with a truss... mine isn't finished but when it is I'll get a final weight on it, need it for unsprung anyway, has a truss... and 06 Axle

There it is.. we can take 32 lbs off the total for the 04 i posted...i will amend it to show this and the 05 changes too :homer:
20230917_122522.jpg

Yep. No good trip ever got accomplished with them. Break so easy you had to be careful getting off the trailer with them just to go break on the trail. Definitely best off to scrap them and pay $40K for the new stuff, it’s really the only option. :flipoff2:

I get it with you guys fat ass bouncers back east. I’ve never seen your rig but I don’t have to see it to have an educated guess that it weighs over 5000# with you in it. And with an LS that probably doesn’t come in under 400 hp. Obviously that’s a recipe for exploded shit. On the west coast people are still building buggies that weigh less than 3000 pounds before water goes in the tires. The 1480 size stuff is still pretty decent in a sub 3000 pounds buggy with a 2.0L 4 cylinder. And affordable and easy to find.
We're talking about Reddots breaking 1480 shit.
Most of these cars are over 4000lbs and make way more than 400hp.
I don't understand your answer.

1480 is completely fine for sub 3000lbs 4 cylinder buggies but that's far from being what Reddot are.

And my rig is 4500lbs for about 350hp on a good day. And I still break 300M 14 bolt shafts. Driving style is everything.

Are/were you redneckengineerd on the PBB?
Nope.
Him and I live in the same area, ride most of the same parks and funny enough, our experiences on what works and doesn't break is very similar. Who knew ? :homer:

We're talking about Reddots breaking 1480 shit.
Most of these cars are over 4000lbs and make way more than 400hp.
I don't understand your answer.
I’m talking about days of wheeling reddots with 1480 jointed shafts and NOT breaking. I don’t understand the confusion. I wheel with people with reddots among other things that run 42” crawlers with water in them and wheel all week without breaking. Was being a sarcastic ass hole.

I’m not saying they don’t or can’t be broken. But they aren’t glass either. I’m only defending them in this thread because it’s the correct thread. I wouldn’t walk into the 05+ thread and be trying to talk people into these instead. Let me be completely clear about what I am saying. The normal person not doing bouncer stuff is probably going to find 1480 size outers to be pretty strong. 1550 is certainly better. If someone already has 1480 sized outers in a trail rig they don’t necessarily need to throw them away and start over because a rock bouncer breaks them every time they go out. If a guy is picking out axles starting from scratch, today, anyone would be foolish to chose 1480 over 1550. However if 1550 isn’t readily available for reasonable money and 1480 is and it fits the intended purpose, 1480 is still relevant.
Nope.
Him and I live in the same area, ride most of the same parks and funny enough, our experiences on what works and doesn't break is very similar. Who knew ? :homer:
You two talk alike and I don’t doubt your shared experiences either. He once said that 1480 D60’s are the new D44 🤣

In my old race axles HP 60’s, I’ve broken R&P’s and lockers and the 1480 axle shafts are still new looking. I’m going to put ball joint eliminators in them and build my rock crawler out of them to go wheeling with my reddot buddies who’s 1550 axles are the new D44 in comparison to the 2 gear portal axle buggies.

I struggle to understand how nowadays 1480 is considered weak and unable to hold up, yet for many many years, that's all anyone wheeled on. Not denying 1550 isn't better, but 1480's have been holding up to wheeling rigs since before a Super Duty 60 existed. You see the same thing on BJ vs KP, suddenly a kingpin axle wont hold up to big tires, and a BJ 05 up 60 is the only thing that will keep you on the trail. In reality, the majority swapping to tons would probably be safe on stock shafts and 1480's. A decent number would be better suited with a quality 1480 U joint and chromo shafts. A very small number are really truly needing 1550 and 40 spline stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for overbuilding if possible, but the fact of the matter is most people are not even remotely close to pushing the limits of their axles once they go to tons.

Didn't Bobby tanny run 1480 sized stuff for years? I'm not sure there is a more iconic buggy out there than screaming blue. Like many many runs up backdoor the year he set the shootout record. Different drivers, backwards, ect :laughing:

To be honest, some of the bouncer crowd is starting to get really annoying on thier high horse. I don't know of any other groups that think so highly of themselves. They even come out to "our" trails and talk how easy they are. Yet they're running the trails that us poor folk run in beat up toyotas and jeeps. I'd sure love to see a high strung no crawl ratio bouncer run a true west coast buggy trail.

a BJ 05 up 60 is the only thing that will keep you on the trail.
05+ Ford D60s far outnumber 99-04, and receiving a healthy amount of aftermarket support. 05+ “family” are out for almost 20 years now while 99-04 is just that, 5 years (or 92-04, 12 years for that “family”).

05+ Ford D60s are appealing for a budget recreational wheeling axle build. 35 spline on all axle shafts from factory and can be found in just about every salvage yards near you. Drop-in 1550 axle shaft assemblies for cheap. Plentiful of room to grow via aftermarket chromoly axle shafts, in either 1480 or 1550 or even the blingy big bell rcv stuff. No weak factory steering knuckles like king pin had.

king pin D60s need $$$ thrown at it before it’ll be as strong or stronger than 05+ stuff.

I’m not knocking on 99-04, it’s just that they’re like the SBC 5.7 now. Nobody will bother to swap it in if not a LS unless you have it already or they were free.

Didn't Bobby tanny run 1480 sized stuff for years? I'm not sure there is a more iconic buggy out there than screaming blue. Like many many runs up backdoor the year he set the shootout record. Different drivers, backwards, ect :laughing:

To be honest, some of the bouncer crowd is starting to get really annoying on thier high horse. I don't know of any other groups that think so highly of themselves. They even come out to "our" trails and talk how easy they are. Yet they're running the trails that us poor folk run in beat up toyotas and jeeps. I'd sure love to see a high strung no crawl ratio bouncer run a true west coast buggy trail.

Bobby Tanner broke so many damn dana60s and 1480 axles back in the days. That was the only option available.

He’s one of the 2 people in the world to ever break a big bell.

And I’d love to watch a true high end crawler on the east coast. Oh wait, I rode with a Reddot at AOP on a wet day and it didn’t work worth a fuck.

Calm down.

Bobby Tanner broke so many damn dana60s and 1480 axles back in the days. That was the only option available.

Yet he still did some impressive feats with those microscopic joints.

He’s one of the 2 people in the world to ever break a big bell.

And I’d love to watch a true high end crawler on the east coast. Oh wait, I rode with a Reddot at AOP on a wet day and it didn’t work worth a fuck.

Calm down.

The difference is that I don't see any reddot type crawlers flapping thier soup coolers about how badass they are and how easy every other terrain is. Rock bouncing was cool back in the day, but it seems to be just noise, dirt hills and no skill, at least on YouTube :homer:

This whole sport is supposed to be fun and lots and lots of people are out having fun with 1480 Or even smaller shit, every day. Just because it doesn't work for you and your buddies that just want to hear their da gum V8 bang off the Rev limiter all day, doesn't mean thier junk.

why even come in this thread if these axles are so beneath you?

I don’t give a fuck if you run small axles. I was just explaining why 40sp shafts with 1480 joints was stupid IMO. Then it all went downhill.

PS : I’m a samurai guy. I’ve rode plenty in under powered under axled cars and really enjoy them. I still think that if you have to buy a set of existing tons (and not build a 609) you’d be dumb not to go with 05+ shit, just for the overkill factor of it. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

Please while we’re in there, show me where I said the terrain out west was easy and how badass rockbouncers are.

I don’t give a fuck if you run small axles. I was just explaining why 40sp shafts with 1480 joints was stupid IMO. Then it all went downhill.

I'll give you that

PS : I’m a samurai guy. I’ve rode plenty in under powered under axled cars and really enjoy them. I still think that if you have to buy a set of existing tons (and not build a 609) you’d be dumb not to go with 05+ shit, just for the overkill factor of it. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

what if 1480 is already overkill? I don't know about back east, but 05+ stuff isn't all that cheap still, so some guys can get a D50 for $100 and then spend the $1000 they would have spent on 05+ shit on better shafts.

Please while we’re in there, show me where I said the terrain out west was easy and how badass rockbouncers are.

Wasn't talking you specifically, just your kind :flipoff2:

what if 1480 is already overkill? I don't know about back east, but 05+ stuff isn't all that cheap still, so some guys can get a D50 for $100 and then spend the $1000 they would have spent on 05+ shit on better shafts.
Strength ≠ money

I’d still take a stock 05+ axle for $1000 rather than a D50 with better shafts for that amount. Because later on you could upgrade the internals if they happen to be to weak or if you swapped to a bigger powerplant.
If you had the D50 you’d be fucked and have to swap the axle.

Wasn’t talking you specifically, just your kind :flipoff2:
I fail to see the connection here. Specifically I’ve never even mentionned bouncers in this thread.

Someone want to explain "Reddot" to this idiot?
It’s a model of high end trail cars built by some talented fabricators under the supervision of the late Kevin Carrol. They are awesome vehicles.

I think we just reached the conclusion, again, of what Rangerrod first summarized and is posted at the top of the first post

My personal interest in this thread was I have an 05 housing and a few pieces for it, but wanted to learn about the 99-04 stuff since I didn’t see much about it. I figured I might fit in to #2, #3, and #4, plus the slightly smaller WMS, less weight, and I assumed smaller pumpkin size was enticing. I’ve since learned it’s not really that much lighter (I assume once you cut off all the radius arm shit and compare bare to bare there isn’t much difference) and the pumpkin isn’t any smaller on a 99-04 50/60.

When I walk the junkyard D50s and occasional 99-04 60s are easier to find for ~$150-300 and I have yet to personally see an 05+ local.

The only reasons to run a 99-04 axle.
1. To run yukon lockouts (someone pointed out chromoly gears for 05+ lockouts Rcv makes but I have yet to hear about real world feedback)
2. To go to 5 or 6 lug outers can’t do that with 05+ stuff
3. You got it cheap and you can machine unit bearings yourself. Buy the time you buy unit bearings to run 35 spline shafts it’s more than an 05+ axle.
ETA #4. They are a little easier to clean up than 05+

I
Strength ≠ money

I’d still take a stock 05+ axle for $1000 rather than a D50 with better shafts for that amount. Because later on you could upgrade the internals if they happen to be to weak or if you swapped to a bigger powerplant.
If you had the D50 you’d be fucked already.

Sorry, I meant as a donor to a 609

Either way, even if it's a pre 05 D60. Most people are not pushing the limits of 1480 sized stuff outside of high HP rock bouncers, the most extreme rock buggy guys and U4. I know lots and lot of guys running 40-54s with 1480 stuff for years and years with very little issues.

I get your points, but you're coming off as trying to say the 1480 stuff is weak, and it's not. There's always something bigger and badder. I'm sure mega and monster trucks would explode your 1550 stuff like nothing.

It’s a model of high end trail cars built by some talented fabricators under the supervision of the late Kevin Carrol. They are awesome vehicles.

05+ Ford D60s far outnumber 99-04, and receiving a healthy amount of aftermarket support. 05+ “family” are out for almost 20 years now while 99-04 is just that, 5 years (or 92-04, 12 years for that “family”).

05+ Ford D60s are appealing for a budget recreational wheeling axle build. 35 spline on all axle shafts from factory and can be found in just about every salvage yards near you. Drop-in 1550 axle shaft assemblies for cheap. Plentiful of room to grow via aftermarket chromoly axle shafts, in either 1480 or 1550 or even the blingy big bell rcv stuff. No weak factory steering knuckles like king pin had.

king pin D60s need $$$ thrown at it before it’ll be as strong or stronger than 05+ stuff.

I’m not knocking on 99-04, it’s just that they’re like the SBC 5.7 now. Nobody will bother to swap it in if not a LS unless you have it already or they were free.
I resent that, i got a KP 60 and a 5.7 vortec in my wheeler with 39" red. I'm sure ill come home tonight and find a broken 1480 shaft :flipoff2:

I was talking shit to busted knuckle on YouTube. Their Sandhollow trip was an absolute joke. Ran easy trails, and took all the bypasses. SMH

I was talking shit to busted knuckle on YouTube. Their Sandhollow trip was an absolute joke. Ran easy trails, and took all the bypasses. SMH
Yeah...saw that same clownshow. Funny to watch portal car guys run the same obstacles with finesse while barely slipping a tire compared to mostly unsuccessful full throttle assaults with longer wheelbases. Just a different mindset/driving style. To each their own.

Can 50 shafts be cut down anything significant or does the taper down make that not an option?

Can 50 shafts be cut down anything significant or does the taper down make that not an option?
I think a long side could be cut down to make a short side 35 spline, but I don't know that for sure.

Yes they can be cut and resplined to 35 or less. You will loose about 3" or so due to the taper. I've done this on a couple of shafts. Still broke at the ears but did twist the splines a good bit.

Last edited:
Yes they can be cut and resplined to 35 or less. You will loose about 3" or so due to the taper. I've done this on a couple of shafts. Still broke at t he ears but did twist the splines a good bit.
So you can shorten past the taper and then Respline and it’ll fit back in the carrier? What’s the point of the taper then? Or can someone like Branik turn down the shaft diameter to recreate the taper before splines are cut?

So you can shorten past the taper and then Respline and it’ll fit back in the carrier? What’s the point of the taper then? Or can someone like Branik turn down the shaft diameter to recreate the taper before splines are cut?

That taper is to create a smaller diameter or weak point for the shaft to break at.

Top Back Refresh