What's new

99-04 Dana 60 & 50 Tech

Are the seals cross compatible with the other years? The ones I installed are the two piece where the outer metal portion presses into the housing, and then there's an interior metal portion that spins inside of it with a rubber section pressing against the shaft. It sounds like that might be my issue. I wonder if the 05+ shafts have a smaller seal diameter to better fit that double seal design?

When I was building my 99-04 front, I measured the older axles seals that were used on the KP stuff and they seemed like they would work. I had new seals for my application and used them, but did debate going with the older style.

99-04 Super Duty - Spicer P/N 2019816 ID: 1.564" OD: 2.620"

Kingpin 60 axles - Spicer P/N 36487 ID: 1.570" OD: 2.630"

Seen crazyj post and did the same thing with a jig and mag drill. Also got the bushings from branik. Used a 1-9/16 annular, worked well.

Too be 100% sure I understand this correct, the Branik bushing is the same OD as the factory bearing, but is proper ID for the 35 spline stubs. The boring/drilling with the 1 9/16' is just to create the clearance for the shaft itself and has nothing to do with the new bushing? I have a bushing from ECGS here and its same OD as the older KP bearings, so it would require opening up that area on the UB as well. I know Branik said they got away from bearings due to the UB getting to thin in that area after machining, so I'm assuming they make no change to the UB itself in the actual bearing/bushing location?

Too be 100% sure I understand this correct, the Branik bushing is the same OD as the factory bearing, but is proper ID for the 35 spline stubs. The boring/drilling with the 1 9/16' is just to create the clearance for the shaft itself and has nothing to do with the new bushing? I have a bushing from ECGS here and its same OD as the older KP bearings, so it would require opening up that area on the UB as well. I know Branik said they got away from bearings due to the UB getting to thin in that area after machining, so I'm assuming they make no change to the UB itself in the actual bearing/bushing location?
Correct. I machined mine to accept the older bearing. I would do it the way crazyj did. My post is on the first page. I’ll be carrying a spare with me on the trail.

OD on both is 1.63” and ID on bushing 1.505.
IMG_1791.jpeg

Reactions: RTH
That's what it seems.
Do you have a factory shaft to measure and compare ?
I happen to have the measurement from RCV drawings for the R&P side seal surface, it’s 1.567

I have a stock crusty D50 shaft I can check against, but I don’t know if that’s the same seal surface before the neck down as the 60 shaft

Not sure if this helps, stock D50 shaft. 1.558” with caliper of questionable accuracy.
IMG_4779.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4780.jpeg
    IMG_4780.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Looks like it only comes as a seal kit if you're not buying the hub axles.
D60-SPINDLE-BUSH-EC

Looks like it only comes as a seal kit if you're not buying the hub axles.
D60-SPINDLE-BUSH-EC
Ok that’s what I thought. You would have to machine the counterbore out bigger in the unit bearings like I posted on first page. The branik ones don’t require that. Just drill through unit bearing and pound them in.

What a fucking bitch, after spending hours I gave up and hooked up the truck and yanked them and they popped right out!

PXL_20240113_234505561.jpg

PXL_20240114_000850659.jpg

The axle shaft measures in spec, the same OEM style seal from NAPA would be tight but seems like it'd be fine. I don't know why they keep getting stuck on it, or how no one else has had this issue. I bought the kingpin seals that Big4x4ride listed the part number for above and they have a much larger flexible rubber zone so going to give those a try.

ECGS has the bushings for $10
1.874 x 1 inch deep from spanner nut

These bushings are the larger OD that would require more boring/machining. The Branik ones are a thinner bushing, allowing a smaller OD that allows it to drop in place of the stock SD bearing. I just ordered some ECGS ones a couple weeks ago with my spare stub and found this out.

I ordered the branik brass bushings. I would have ordered stubs,joints and a lot more but shipping came out to like $200 on that site.
ECGS had free shipping and a bit cheaper so yeah.
Does anybody have experience with the 35 chrome outer stubs? Will they hold up reasonable in a rear steer 3800 pounds?

When are you gonna get a yellow skull and start selling those bad boys :usa:
It'll be awhile, but seriously considering it for how much interest I've gotten. Probably won't be until the end of the year at the earliest, I want to fully put them through their paces and right now I'm planning to do ~5 races in the buggy this year, so if they survive that then probably sell them. Ideally I'd sell them under $3k for a pair, with options for state side manufacturing (though that's a $2k+ increase). I was also thinking there could be a super lightweight crawler option, and then a beefier racing configuration. Also potentially have an option to customize them for a fee, like having the steering arm in a special spot, maybe that's an extra $500 for a one off custom setup.

Additionally I plan to get some Wilwood brakes in the future to try. Busted Knuckles Wilwood kit claims like 50lbs saved total, if I can do a similar brake setup that would be in the realm of 100 lbs saved on the axle! Have that as an option, or make a bracket so people can run the lightweight brakes.

And lastly, I'd like to start developing 05+ knuckles, maybe Kingpin knuckles, maybe grab some Spidertrax knuckles and create an aluminum version if there's weight savings there. I think there's lots of options possible, especially if I can keep the price within a few hundred bucks of the other options on the market (once you add in them needing high steer and stuff).

99-03 d60 housing accepts super 60 10 inch ring and pinion without any grinding. It also does it with a normal amount of shims in a pretty centered position. Atleast in my case I couldn't see any casting anywhere near the ring gear. Stock cover also clears the ring.

99-03 d60 housing accepts super 60 10 inch ring and pinion without any grinding. It also does it with a normal amount of shims in a pretty centered position. Atleast in my case I couldn't see any casting anywhere near the ring gear. Stock cover also clears the ring.
Cool, I assume it’s just a typo and this works on 04 housings too?

Cool, I assume it’s just a typo and this works on 04 housings too?
99-04 far as I know. They make reverse and thick super60 gears all the way to 5.38. So no reason not to run them if you're doing a r&p.

Can someone pull a measurement on a 60, from the top of the inner knuckle to other inner knuckle please?

I got 2 cut housings. Putting them together, need to figure out how much is cut out of them.

Thanks.

Normal amount as in it set up just like a normal R&P?

If it clears stock cover what do you think about a cast cover like a Solid Ind. one?

I may be interested in this route.

What about install kits, the same or go with a regular 60R or the super.

I looked quick on the yukon site to compare bearing numbers but they don't list them.

Last edited:
Normal amount as in it set up just like a normal R&P?

If it clears stock cover what do you think about a cast cover like a Solid Ind. one?

I may be interested in this route.

What about install kits, the same or go with a regular 60R or the super.

I looked quick on the yukon site to compare bearing numbers but they don't list them.
Super 60 ring and pinion bolted in my carrier with almost the same shims as the 4:30 I took out. The cover will probably fit but if it doesn't a little grinding will fix that.

Super 60 ring and pinion bolted in my carrier with almost the same shims as the 4:30 I took out. The cover will probably fit but if it doesn't a little grinding will fix that.
I also just realized it doesn't matter on the install kits cause it's going on the SD60 carrier... :homer:

Can someone pull a measurement on a 60, from the top of the inner knuckle to other inner knuckle please?

I got 2 cut housings. Putting them together, need to figure out how much is cut out of them.

Thanks.
52 3/8” center of upper ball joints.

Very cool. I'm assuming you sleeved the inside? How long is the sleeve that you used?

Top Back Refresh