What's new

99-04 Dana 60 & 50 Tech

In case any cares... 99-04 cut and swapped to 78-79 dimensions. Looks like I'll have to trim the long shaft ~1/2" for center pin clearance.
IMG_7936.JPEG
IMG_7937.JPG
IMG_7958.JPG
Fucking genius!
It looks great and very straight forward.
I plan to do something similar but for my k5. I'm using an nv4500 and want to go driver drop so the drive shaft will clear the slave. Thanks for the idea! I think this will make it much easier.

Would’ve been cool if he used 05+ unit bearings right off the bat. No boring for 35 spline stubs, sleeves and stronger.
The 05+ unit bearing is large enough to clear the RCV boot? I don't know anything about the 05+ axles. If I could have the knuckle fit both unit bearings that would be cool, though I suspect the 05+ if it's larger is too large to also keep the bolt pattern of the 99-04 unit bearing. Another option would be to have an adapter plate on the front to be able to swap in any type of unit bearing, but probably not worthwhile unless the knuckle can be used on both 99-04 and 05+ inner C's (again, no idea if the inner C's are identical).

I would think most people buying a 99-04 knuckle don't care about 05+ unit bearings since they'd just want to swap over the parts they have instead of spending even more. But having a knuckle option that upgrades the outers to 05+ hardware while using the 99-04 housing is certainly possible, assuming both unit bearings can't be run on the same knuckle.

The other thing to consider, is that the flange offset on the 2 bearings are completely different. The 99-04 UB is much closer to the older setup vs the 05+ bearing.

I did some CAD a few years ago, posted in this thread: New tech for old axles? (kingpin). Alot of that work was around using the stock style stub, from the kingpin axle, but you can see the size difference between the 2 bearings.

The 05+ unit bearing is large enough to clear the RCV boot? I don't know anything about the 05+ axles. If I could have the knuckle fit both unit bearings that would be cool, though I suspect the 05+ if it's larger is too large to also keep the bolt pattern of the 99-04 unit bearing. Another option would be to have an adapter plate on the front to be able to swap in any type of unit bearing, but probably not worthwhile unless the knuckle can be used on both 99-04 and 05+ inner C's (again, no idea if the inner C's are identical).

I would think most people buying a 99-04 knuckle don't care about 05+ unit bearings since they'd just want to swap over the parts they have instead of spending even more. But having a knuckle option that upgrades the outers to 05+ hardware while using the 99-04 housing is certainly possible, assuming both unit bearings can't be run on the same knuckle.
I think at this point people that are building a 99-04 housing are doing it on purpose for just a few reasons. 5 or 6 lug or better locking hubs. Any other reason the 05+ is just superior in every way. I chose 99-04 for 2nd reason.

I think at this point people that are building a 99-04 housing are doing it on purpose for just a few reasons. 5 or 6 lug or better locking hubs. Any other reason the 05+ is just superior in every way. I chose 99-04 for 2nd reason.
Don't forget about guys who want to run leaf springs:flipoff2:

no other reason then cheap for me.

the 05+ stuff is twice the cost around here.

05+ stuff has taken off in price recently here. >3 years ago all the 99+ ford diffs were cheap.

Interested.... got build pics?

In for pics
There was some pics in the old site. Can’t find them or they died in the photo bucket debacle. But Barnes makes a kit.

I built my 99-04 because a buddy was building the same axle at the same time. His he got free, mine I paid $200 for. I've had a mishap, and tore up the housing at the outer pinion bearing pretty badly. Now I'm on the fence about building an 05 up or another 99-04. Honestly leaning to 99-04 because 1. I have spare parts already, 2. They are cheaper, 3. Better locking hubs, 4. 1480 U joints have worked for years and 1550 is not necessary for the vast majority of us.

Yukon/nitro lockouts are only available for 2004 and down. The ford lcokouts on the 05+ can be problematic. And I haven’t seen any feedback on the rcv 300m gear to beef those up. I know you don’t run lockouts. But for us that drive ours on the street a lot its a consideration.

Yukon/nitro lockouts are only available for 2004 and down. The ford lcokouts on the 05+ can be problematic. And I haven’t seen any feedback on the rcv 300m gear to beef those up. I know you don’t run lockouts. But for us that drive ours on the street a lot its a consideration.
Gotchu
I legit thought the RCV 300M upgrade was the way to go.

Gotchu
I legit thought the RCV 300M upgrade was the way to go.
I’ve talked with Yukon 2-3 times they have thought about making lockouts for 05+ stuff but would be completely different design. Today I would probably build 05+ axle and try the rcv hub gears. And if it was a problem slap slugs in for big trips.

Peck brothers seem to break stub shafts and warn hubs are surviving on the 05+ stuff but it’s YouTubers too.

I’ve talked with Yukon 2-3 times they have thought about making lockouts for 05+ stuff but would be completely different design. Today I would probably build 05+ axle and try the rcv hub gears. And if it was a problem slap slugs in for big trips.

Peck brothers seem to break stub shafts and warn hubs are surviving on the 05+ stuff but it’s YouTubers too.
Ecgs has a 35 and 40 spline lockout coming for 05+

So after seeing people boring their own UB’s I built a jig and setup with my Mag drill. That UB laughed at a brand new 1 9/16” HSS annular cutter. Ordering a Carbide tipped one on Monday to try again. After attempting this though, I have no idea how someone was able to do it with just a plain Lenox holesaw.

So after seeing people boring their own UB’s I built a jig and setup with my Mag drill. That UB laughed at a brand new 1 9/16” HSS annular cutter. Ordering a Carbide tipped one on Monday to try again. After attempting this though, I have no idea how someone was able to do it with just a plain Lenox holesaw.
Interesting, having not done it myself I was also under the impression it was easy seeing the holes saw pic

Interesting, having not done it myself I was also under the impression it was easy seeing the holes saw pic
Me too lol. I used a brand new HSS cutter and only got about 1/8" of depth with it.

1711162073835.png

Gonna pick up one of the Carbide tipped ones and give it a shot.

1711162199625.png

Funny when I machined mine in a lathe I just drilled through with A 1 9/16” drill. What rpm were you running?

Where are you located. What size OD and wall thickness are you looking for?
Chester, NH.

I am looking for factory tube to extend an axle. As listed here, it's 3.5″, 3/8″ wall. I need about 7" (that's what she said :flipoff2: )

Top Back Refresh