What's new

A-Salt truck. 2002 International 4900

Took to the bus today. The inverter ran the grinder to clean up one bracket for welding. Later flipped the breaker to turn the inverter on the clean up the second bracket and the breaker fried. I'll have to find an alternative to the Stinger resetable breaker.

IPR valve is starting to get clogged again. Whenever I can the truck for a while, I'm going to try cleaning out the HPO reservoir. Really would be nice if the Navistar HPO systems were designed to run on oil that didn't come from the crank case.

Took to the bus today. The inverter ran the grinder to clean up one bracket for welding. Later flipped the breaker to turn the inverter on the clean up the second bracket and the breaker fried. I'll have to find an alternative to the Stinger resetable breaker.

IPR valve is starting to get clogged again. Whenever I can the truck for a while, I'm going to try cleaning out the HPO reservoir. Really would be nice if the Navistar HPO systems were designed to run on oil that didn't come from the crank case.
stick an 8.3 in it instead

ETA: or really whateverthehell cheap shit mechanical school bus motor you can get
bonus is that you get a school bus shaped shed with the engine/transmission purchase

stick an 8.3 in it instead

ETA: or really whateverthehell cheap shit mechanical school bus motor you can get
bonus is that you get a school bus shaped shed with the engine/transmission purchase
I'm going to browse around for a cheap Bluebird. International buses are fetching high prices because the skoolie trend. The DT466 has been an outstanding engine. I'm guessing everyone buying the International busses are going by that name. Had I realized that this truck was another Navistar heap, I would have passed on it, though it has served us well for the price.

That the brand name was Stinger. It's Scorpion. Bugger fried. Gonna try to stop by the solar store tomorrow morning to see what else they have on the way to get another load of gravel.

20220814_145340[1].jpg

could just toss an ANL fuse and holder at it, keep a spare in the glovebox.
I'm using it as both a switching and overload device. If they don't have anything else that is a direct replacement, I'll put in a separate fuse and switch.

I've messed with these breaker before because they've been used in car audio for years. They're made in China and the package said it had 5/16 studs but they're 1/4".

Got the goods and laid down another 6.3 tons of 2" clean gravel for bus parking. Heading back down solo tomorrow to get the solar hooked back up. Supposed to be raining all day which will be nice.

20220815_135643.jpg

How much per ton are you paying? Is the truck paying off?

I need ~24 ish tons at the moment. But I have a dump trailer, just lots of loads that way.

How much per ton are you paying? Is the truck paying off?

I need ~24 ish tons at the moment. But I have a dump trailer, just lots of loads that way.
I'd have to check the receipts. Right around $10.24 per ton for 2" clean limestone. The price did go up a few cents per ton due to rising fuel prices, but should be back down now.

I've spoken with a neighbor a couple times now about it. He says we're paying less per ton hauling it ourselves than what everyone else is paying to have it delivered from Ava. I get all ours from Double Eagle in Diggins. From hauling our stuff from CO to hauling in our materials in MO and everything in between, it seems to be paying off. Especially with towing the bus. We would have to pay close to another $3k to hire somebody to bring it to our property.

I'm able to haul as much as 9 tons per load. A dump trailer will be slow going, but it'll get it done

Why clean for parking area? That stuff is for drainage and sucks for road use.
He’s dumping it on the muddy ground no stripping so it’s the best stuff for that application. It will be all pounded in the ground next spring.

Just jump the posts and use a MBRF fuse at 200-300 amps?
1660603760572.png

Just jump the posts and use a MBRF fuse at 200-300 amps?
1660603760572.png
Kinda need a switch in there to turn power off to the charge controller when not in use. I don't like to keep things running when I'm not there for a few days. Got the hardware to mount the parts that I bought today. Might stop at Oh Really's on the way down tomorrow to see if they have those rubber battery post covers that slip over the cable. The fuse holder cover is huge.

I'd have to check the receipts. Right around $10.24 per ton for 2" clean limestone. The price did go up a few cents per ton due to rising fuel prices, but should be back down now.

I've spoken with a neighbor a couple times now about it. He says we're paying less per ton hauling it ourselves than what everyone else is paying to have it delivered from Ava. I get all ours from Double Eagle in Diggins. From hauling our stuff from CO to hauling in our materials in MO and everything in between, it seems to be paying off. Especially with towing the bus. We would have to pay close to another $3k to hire somebody to bring it to our property.

I'm able to haul as much as 9 tons per load. A dump trailer will be slow going, but it'll get it done
Cool thanks. My quote was about $500 a load which is about 16t delivered. The quarry isn't that far, but I'm not sure I want another truck 😂

Cool thanks. My quote was about $500 a load which is about 16t delivered. The quarry isn't that far, but I'm not sure I want another truck 😂
Man I must live in a crappy spot. Best I can get is $300 a load delivered for gravel.

Man I must live in a crappy spot. Best I can get is $300 a load delivered for gravel.
There aren't exactly a lot of options, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. There's only one local quarry. One of the neighbors does the road maintenance so I think he has a dump truck, I may ask what he would charge just to pick up a couple loads

that's a lot if you mean road gravel, it's 200 bucks around here, but they've got a pit that makes it good enough without any fussing about

crushed rock, I think they're up around 360 for a 12 yd load after the fuel charge

that's a lot if you mean road gravel, it's 200 bucks around here, but they've got a pit that makes it good enough without any fussing about

crushed rock, I think they're up around 360 for a 12 yd load after the fuel charge
I get $200 a load for the natural crushed road gravel. The brown ugly it works decent stuff.

Back in business. It's a messy install, but whatever. Crusty truck with solar than can run a fridge and some power tools.

The three-way switch should be handy. Turning on the inverter after turning on the charge controller gives an E01 for over-dishcharged battery. The inverter must be drawing a lot to initially fill some capacitors.

20220816_121549.jpg

all the powerstroke guys loved the RevRX(?) shit.
maybe that's an option?
It "fixed" the injector stiction on my brother's 6.0. Long enough for the head gaskets to be a problem anyway.

all the powerstroke guys loved the RevRX(?) shit.
maybe that's an option?
It "fixed" the injector stiction on my brother's 6.0. Long enough for the head gaskets to be a problem anyway.
I was using revx and Rotella in my 6.0 to "fix stiction. Worked great for around 2500 miles. Started using Schaeffers in it and it lasted longer.

Schaeffers in the 466 has it running like a champ again. Just need to flush out the engine. My best guess is that the hotshot's additive loosened up a bunch of goo which ended up seriously clogging the IPR.

And this. I was asked about the dump truck pulling the trailer the other day. I bought a Bulletproof 22k 3" hitch months ago and have not been able to find any 3" weld-in receiver tubes in stock. Thinking I may just ruin that fancy powdercoating, cut the square hole and weld it in with some 3/4" gussets.

20220816_104516.jpg

Top Back Refresh