What's new

A-Salt truck. 2002 International 4900

JNHEscher

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Dogwood, MO.
Dad joke? Yeah, dad joke.

Bought a plow/salt truck from MODOT yesterday to temporarily replace my turd of an F350. This is going to haul the remainder of our heavy stuff from CO to MO and haul materials to and from our property in MO. DT466E ( yes, the same failures of the same HEUI system my Powerstroke has). I was thinking it has the Allison MD3060. Will check it soon. 6-speed with the touch pad (which I've never liked).

I have a few things to address before it's ready to do much work. It made it from Saint Joseph, MO to Yoder, CO. without any major problems, though.

MODOT staff didn't tell me that the windshield wipers didn't function. Black smears on windshield like tar. Kinda looks like the wiper blades got stuck and the motor overpowered the linkage and broke it. We got stuck in Oakley, KS. last night around midnight while a strong storm passed over for a few hours. I couldn't see shit and my wife, whom was driving the 4Runner, pulling the empty Uhual trailer, can't see well at night, let alone during a storm. We slept in the car until 6:30 this morning and finished our drive today.

Once up to speed, the engine heats up rather quickly which causes the radiator fan to cycle A LOT. The fan puts quite the drag on the power. I only gotten a quick look this morning with with a flashlight. The radiator fins are covered in lots of patina - probably not expelling the heat as well as necessary. Coolant was full. From what I've read on these before, the radiators are a common fail point.

Tires - well, they're just tires, so I'll slap some fresh ones on soon. Rear outers are very worn and make the ass end hop a bit.

I'll need the dump bed operational shortly. Don't know for sure which button/lever runs it yet. Labeling is worn off of most everything. This still has all the controls for the sprayer/spreader and plows. Lots of hack job wiring to sort out.

What dirt you guys got on these? I do wish the 466 were mechanical, but the response of this thing with the electronics is impressive. Being a dump truck, it's still sluggish. For now, it'll haul parts, gravel, kids, AND the groceries.

20210930_094428[1].jpg

Last edited:
I like the crew cab. Nice find.
That was a must for us. Kids in car seats along with a bunch of my tools and still some room for groceries. There's a bunch of Cummins quad-cab dump bed Dodges up for auction that we would have gone for, but they're a month out. We needed something right now. In the middle of moving and my Ford lost all power.

Cool truck

On the mechanical engine vs electrical....
What I've found, while looking for a 5.9 12v truck, mostly Ford's, by the time mdts were getting Allison's with lockup and overdrive (it's gotta have a manual or lockup, I can't stand turning fuel into heat:laughing:) by the time they had lockup trannys, the engines were electrical, so you had to find a manual, or that real narrow range of trucks spec'd just right

Cool truck

On the mechanical engine vs electrical....
What I've found, while looking for a 5.9 12v truck, mostly Ford's, by the time mdts were getting Allison's with lockup and overdrive (it's gotta have a manual or lockup, I can't stand turning fuel into heat:laughing:) by the time they had lockup trannys, the engines were electrical, so you had to find a manual, or that real narrow range of trucks spec'd just right
Pretty much. I'm hoping the injectors on this are more robust than the 6.0 and 7.3 injectors. The trans is pretty smooth unless I only give it enough throttle to hold first or second gear for a bit. It shifts through all four underdrive gears within half a block which is a little obnoxious. Loads of torque until overdrive, though.

As a mobile mechanic who works for an International dealer and have worked on DOT snow removal trucks check all your grounds and battery connections for corrosion. Nice truck.
Much yes. The gauges worked when I test drove it a little around the fleet lot. Once we were ready to go, none of them worked. Then a few minutes later, they all worked again. I said to myself "Ah, yes, grounding issues".

Assuming a few IBB members are familiar with these trucks. I've got a few questions. Most stuff I can figure out on my own quickly, but time is short right now and I would like some extra thoughts.

When leaving the MODOT lot, there was a loud, high-pitched beeping coming from somewhere behind the left end of the dash. It turned off when I hit a hard bump after the first few minutes of driving. Stayed off until somewhere in the last half of the drive to CO when it briefly turned back on and off when I hit some more bumps. My guess is this is a "bed up" warning, but there were no visible indicators and the bed was down. There's likely a switch or wire acting as the culprit.

Much yes. The gauges worked when I test drove it a little around the fleet lot. Once we were ready to go, none of them worked. Then a few minutes later, they all worked again. I said to myself "Ah, yes, grounding issues".
My 4900 international with the 466e does the same guage thing. Now i parked it for a few months and it decided to not start anymore. Cranks but no fuel being injected.

My 4900 international with the 466e does the same guage thing. Now i parked it for a few months and it decided to not start anymore. Cranks but no fuel being injected.

air in fuel lines? pump the plunger on the filter?

if not then thr IP pump or IPR valve

Left kick panel should be where the body controller lives. Possibly it's getting bad info and tripping an alarm. Welcome to International wiring, it sucks especially on a truck that dispenses de-ice.

Assuming a few IBB members are familiar with these trucks. I've got a few questions. Most stuff I can figure out on my own quickly, but time is short right now and I would like some extra thoughts.

When leaving the MODOT lot, there was a loud, high-pitched beeping coming from somewhere behind the left end of the dash. It turned off when I hit a hard bump after the first few minutes of driving. Stayed off until somewhere in the last half of the drive to CO when it briefly turned back on and off when I hit some more bumps. My guess is this is a "bed up" warning, but there were no visible indicators and the bed was down. There's likely a switch or wire acting as the culprit.
Pto engaged?

air in fuel lines? pump the plunger on the filter?

if not then thr IP pump or IPR valve
She's all primed. Something electrical I assume, have not spent much time looking at it. I planned to sell it so it decided to break down.

She's all primed. Something electrical I assume, have not spent much time looking at it. I planned to sell it so it decided to break down.

how many miles? i can send you my nexiq if you want to hook it up. Its chinese version, but works

or I can give you 578.50 for the truck, delivered :flipoff2:

how many miles? i can send you my nexiq if you want to hook it up. Its chinese version, but works

or I can give you 578.50 for the truck, delivered :flipoff2:
Happy with the Nexiq? I'd like to have some kind of monitor for this if such a thing exists. Put an SCT Livewire in my 6.0 truck to keep an eye on everything which helps me narrow down problems quickly.

Happy with the Nexiq? I'd like to have some kind of monitor for this if such a thing exists. Put an SCT Livewire in my 6.0 truck to keep an eye on everything which helps me narrow down problems quickly.

its a must to connect to the trucks. Servicemax is free for the older trucks. I have a cummins inline 7 and I swear its the same device. :confused:

The gauge issue is most likely just a connection issue on the back of the cluster. Remove the two screws on the bottom of the cluster and pull the dash cover, push down the two tabs and pull the cluster out. there is a twisted pair that feeds the cluster from the ECM on one of the plugs on the right side. pull the plug and twist the pins for the twisted pair a little, should solve the intermittent gauge issue.

I never understood the love for the DT series I personally think they are garbage and the only good thing is they are cheap to overhaul.

anyway,
the gauge issue, is probably the cluster. Hit the cluster and it will probably start working. It could be a connection on the back but could be internal too.
But the windshield does leak water right onto the fuse box ang the ignition switch is stupid with extra wires.

Save yourself that hassle, use a shot of ether to get it running. If they sit much it seems impossible to predict if they will start or you will run the batteries dead, even if you manually pump it for 3 hours first.

I'm certain the gauge problem is just a quick wire fix.

We took a break from house work to go test the dump bed. It works great. I need to figure out where to operate the tailgate release cylinder. This truck was the only one they had up for auction that had an air operated gate.

The first load is likely one to the dump. We're one of a few households in the neighborhood in the midst of moving and everybody has a load to take to the landfill. The local guy apparently charges out the ass. So much so that his cost for one household is more than the fuel cost of my round trip. It'd be great if I could back up to the directed dump location, release the gate and dump away.

Forgot to post this. Muriatic acid might clean the fins up pretty well. I'll check prices on a new radiator. Neither the condenser, intercooler, or radiator are clogged. I'd say it's difficult for a radiator to sufficiently cool with that much corrosion.

20211001_141940.jpg

there's still fins there, if you fuck with it they'll probably all fall off

don't fuck with the outside, look at the inside, see if the tubes are all clogged up with mineral scale shit

Simple green in a foam gun on a hose to start, then pressure wash. Do this before muratic acid.

Also, what is the gcvw of that truck? Because even if you're under 26k lbs with a loaded trailer, your gcvwr of truck/trailer will most likely be over 26k, so you will need either a class A cdl or a non-commercial class a license to operate it. This is exactly how the laws are written, there's no "not for hire" bs or personal use exemptions. IF you get pulled over by a dot cop you will most likely be put OOS, towed and fined out the ass. Make sure it will pass a level 1 dot inspection before you run it back east.

fuck muriatic acid..do not do that..

Pretty much. I'm hoping the injectors on this are more robust than the 6.0 and 7.3 injectors. The trans is pretty smooth unless I only give it enough throttle to hold first or second gear for a bit. It shifts through all four underdrive gears within half a block which is a little obnoxious. Loads of torque until overdrive, though.
They are the same injectors as a the 7.3, the hold down is just in a different orientation.

the fuse panel is just below the dash on the right, the buzzer could have been air brake warning, or Water in fuel or oil pressure. The buzzer for those things look like a long relay, or a relay with with slots cut in the top.

dude your radiator isnt that bad, i would look at coolant flow first..but the fan kicking ona bunch is normal.

Alright. Big nope on saving the radiator. I can wipe my hand down the fins and they disintegrate like ash. They are completely toast and the tubes are rather corroded as well. Wife looked up the truck on Rock Auto and sure enough they carry parts for it. Not too sure on the one and only option of Spectra all aluminum. Guess that'd be alright as this will not be used to salting roads anymore. And there's no way the current duty cycle of the radiator fan is normal. About 6 seconds off and 15 seconds on for the entire drive from MO to CO while driving in cool weather.

CDL may be coming. Everything is getting registered in MO. I'll call Monday and ask what I need to do for this truck to be used personally. The truck may stay parked here for a little while. I need to get the title work done and all my tools are going in it to be hauled to MO. I need my tools up until the last day here to continue fixing the house.

Buddy of mine near KC wants to quit his farming job and go full-time shop work at the their greenhouse. They sell plants, trailers, sheds, etc. Trailers have been a big seller and he wants a trailer tech. I may be joining forces with him and getting my CDL to haul trailers with him. TBD.

7.3 style poppet injectors might be a little better than the 6.0 style. There's a warning label on one of ECM looms stating 120 VDC. I'm guessing that's the injector voltage. Mighty powerful, if so.

Plowed snow with the non crew cab version of those in college, probably the worst vehicle I have ever driven in the snow with the bed empty. Like get stuck backing up in 2" of snow level bad. Once you fill the bed up they are great.

Top Back Refresh