What's new

A-Salt truck. 2002 International 4900

ICF gets very pricey despite what tv\internet will have you believe I priced it before I built mine . Slab or basement ?

ICF gets very pricey despite what tv\internet will have you believe I priced it before I built mine . Slab or basement ?
Yes, it does. Nudura raised their price once or twice while I was designing ours and concrete is $138/yd. Basement. I hauled in all the blocks for it with the truck. Way too many trips, but it worked well.

It was 132 on Saturday’s when I built my house in 2019 so not bad . And yes all Saturday’s because my friends are amazing and did it all the labor for free on the side , I attempted to help and learned a lot . One of my friends even runs the pump truck we had to use on both floor pours ( shop and house ) . They were a godsend .

A house thread would compliment the truck well lol. I've got my Tonka truck and still play with blocks.
IMG_20220609_223354.gif

:grinpimp:

Aaron Z

Despite it being another hunk of Navistar shit, it's been super handy to have around. I needed the charging power to get the other Navistar hunk of shit started.

20220706_125746.jpg

Don't mind the motorcycle jumpers. They're all I've got and they work.

Mounted some power stuff today. Might get it all hooked up tomorrow or Saturday.

20220721_142856.jpg

Wife has been needed the little inverter, so we got bigger one and a charge controller so that I can power a few things in powerless locations. I've got room for one of our 345-watt panels on the cab roof.

Got an IPR rebuild kit on the way. The rebuild kit just consists of seals and the coil retainer parts. Going to clean up the old IPR and swap it in.

Idling, the engine runs just fine. Giving it any throttle under load and it stumbles and pops like crazy with about half power. It's been doing this ever since putting the new IPR in and changing the oil. Seems the new IPR keeps getting stuck because the gauge was always showing pressure spiking above 4,500psi.

Got so close to hooking it all up. Missing two cable glands and the battery cables weren't long enough.

20220722_165601.jpg

Solar is hooked up and running. Turned off for now until I'm back here for a day to test a few things.

20220727_163453.jpg

I need to figure out what to fasten the panel to the roof rack with. The racks are 1" wide and 1-3/8" tall. I looked for square u-bolts and HD today, but found none.

20220727_165348.jpg

All I could find in the way of u-bolt that would fit. Have to cut them down an inch or so. I think I'll have this finished up tonight.

20220728_193442.jpg

Boys lending a hand where they can.

20220728_213706.jpg

I'll have to run some numbers, but I'm pretty confident that we'll be able to run a couple small fans and an LED nightlight all night without a problem.

I have a full-size refrigerator to try out, too. Got tired of all our food swimming in the coolers. It's a high-class homeless camp, now.

Opened up the old IPR valve. Have to clean it a little more. I'll save that for daylight, weather pending. Might get it installed tomorrow and go for a test drive.

Edit: fwiw, the non-flammable brake cleaner burns the skin more than the explosive stuff.

Last edited:
I have a full-size refrigerator to try out, too. Got tired of all our food swimming in the coolers. It's a high-class homeless camp, now.
chest freezer is the bees knees when energy efficiency is a top-priority
run two of them with one set to refrigerator temperatures if you got stuff you don't want frozen

yeah never buy that shit, it doesn't work as good and you can't use it as starting fluid
Yep. Didn't realize it was non-flammable until I tried to ignite a stump. FML. We bought six cans to use as bug killer, but it's got plenty of other uses.

chest freezer is the bees knees when energy efficiency is a top-priority
run two of them with one set to refrigerator temperatures if you got stuff you don't want frozen
We have one chest freezer buried at the back of a storage unit. I'd love to have it here for the efficiency. We'll keep an eye out for sales on some.

The fridge I'll be building for the bus be the chest type for the efficiency reason.

Yep. Didn't realize it was non-flammable until I tried to ignite a stump. FML. We bought six cans to use as bug killer, but it's got plenty of other uses.
oh it'll still kill bees just fine
it is the solvent that suffocates them

Believe I'll be changing the oil again. Looks to me like some goo got stirred up and suspended in the oil. The only place I came across 5-gallons buckets of diesel oil last time was at Tractor Supply and the only brand they had was Travelers. I threw in a bottle of Hotshots as well to see if what seemed like stiction would clear up.

Think I'll buck up and get Schaeffer's for this one too.

Solar has been keeping up with the fridge all day. Not the best day to start up a warm, empty fridge with overcast skys. No need to camp tonight, so I shut it all off for now.

Got the IPR valve all done and installed. Grabbing oil and filter on Monday.

Spent much of the day cleaning up the interior. Working on installing all the loose parts that have been bouncing around in the truck. I've not had the time to finish much of anything on the truck until recently.

I have to grab a 1/8" street 90 for the boost gauge and order a new set of mounting hardware for the HPOP gauge. Lost the standoffs and nuts for one gauge and the boost fitting almost runs into the windshield.

20220729_201402.jpg

Believe I'll be changing the oil again. Looks to me like some goo got stirred up and suspended in the oil. The only place I came across 5-gallons buckets of diesel oil last time was at Tractor Supply and the only brand they had was Travelers. I threw in a bottle of Hotshots as well to see if what seemed like stiction would clear up.

Think I'll buck up and get Schaeffer's for this one too.
Not a Schaeffers fan. Used to use it in the equipment. Not worth the premium. Use the money to buy the standard delo, rotella ect And change it at a greater frequency.

Changed oil and filter yesterday. The filter was a motherfucker to get off. Even though I oiled the gasket, it was stuck. Had to stab it with a screwdriver twice to get enough torque to loosen it.

Left the solar and fridge running last night. Wasn't sure if the batteries would keep it running all night, but it appears they did just fine. Voltage was at 11.4 this morning. Solar is bring them back up now and man is it nice to have a cold drink here.

Got all gauges mounted. Need to locate a 6mm or 7mm wrench to tighten a couple nuts. Ended up finding the missing bag of standoffs and other hardware in the bottom of my tool bag while looking for a wrench smaller than 8mm.

Found the HPOP sensor wiring got sheared of somewhere under the dash and the pigtail connector is gone. I can hardwire it if I figure out the right wires. Would rather not do that, but hey.

20220802_121652.jpg

Fired it up. Put in gear and it wouldn't stay in gear. I know I'm getting a false reading with the leaning that much. Stick showed just under the low hot mark. Gonna figure out what the preferred oil is and top it off.

It eventually stayed in gear. Tried to move it off the muck and it sunk again. Called it a day.

20220802_135730.jpg

There was no rain in the forecast for last night, but we definitely got more rain. And there's supposed to be more coming later this week. I'll have to chain up once more and get the truck off the mud.

Last edited:
Added a gallon a Dexron III. Hard to tell where the level is at on such a long ass stick that's a tube with a horizontal run. Started to crawl out, but went out of gear again. Added another gallon, got it to stay in gear and crawl out. With as low as the oil was and the tilt of the truck, I guess the pump sucked up a lot of air. Took some messing with for it to purge it all.

20220803_145931[2].jpg

Took it for a test drive around the loop. Still stumbled a bit, though it was clearing up. As I was ascending the hill to come around the corner of our neighbor's lot, I was giving it throttle to climb an noticed it wasn't bucking so hard. Mashed the throttle. The stuck injectors freed up and man did the boost hit.

Ran it around the loop a second time and got full power all the way. I put Schaeffer's in it, by the way. Stuff has been amazing in Navistar injection systems. At least it has in mine and those of friends that have Powerstrokes. Won't be putting any more Hotshot's in it. Can't tell if that's what really caused all the stiction, or if the Traveler's oil is just garbage. Either way, the oil was tacky and needed to go.

Whenever the clay solidifies enough, I have to bring in one or two more loads of gravel. Then, we should be bringing the bus down.

Tentatively taking the truck to go work on the bus tomorrow.

Turned on the charger controller. The screen would flash on and off. Turned the breaker off and back on and got the controller going. Plugged in the fridge and turned on the inverter. Inverter went into alarm. Noticed E01 on the controller - batteries over-discharged. Yet it shows 12.3 volts with engine off and 14.6 with engine on. Thinking the breaker went south already and I need the inverter tomorrow. Go figure.

I'm going to see if the truck will air up the rear suspension on the bus. All the bag fittings leak, so I want to see if the compressor on the truck will keep up. Airing it up will make it easy for me to get jacks under the rear to take the drive wheels off and add service brakes to hook up to the truck.

Top Back Refresh