What's new

A-Salt truck. 2002 International 4900

Ok, unfortunately I suffer from c.m.s., but I have the solution for you, I can get you part numbers tomorrow or search for "perma cool filter base"

this
looks like you could switch it out for a generic filter base to use a much more generic primary fuel filter from like a cat 3206 or somesuch
I'm on this right now. Sifting through Summit.
Ok, unfortunately I suffer from c.m.s., but I have the solution for you, I can get you part numbers tomorrow or search for "perma cool filter base"
Looking through results now. I'll have one picked out and ordered before bed.

20220523_073413.jpg
20220523_073441.jpg

Forgot to get crank case cleaner or seafoam this morning. Krud Kutter concentrate did the trick. Followed that up with vinegar and water boil. Coolant and fuel passages are now flowing freely.

For gaskets, the cap just needs an o-ring. The exchanger uses a tall, square-cut, just like an oil or fuel filter. I'm going to see if I can still browse through filter o-ring dimensions in catalogs.

Last edited:
Forgot to get crank case cleaner or seafoam this morning. Krud Kutter concentrate did the trick. Followed that up with vinegar and water boil. Coolant and fuel passages are now flowing freely.

For gaskets, the cap just needs an o-ring. The exchanger uses a tall, square-cut, just like an oil or fuel filter. I'm going to see if I can still browse through filter o-ring dimensions in catalogs.
grab the o-ring off an old filter

grab the o-ring off an old filter
Don't have that convenience at the moment. Will be purchasing whatever cheap filter has the correct o-ring.

No word on the Perma-Cool order yet. It's drop ship. Over the last couple years, I've had to wait as ling as two weeks for a manufacturer to ship a part out.

Found a Wix filter with the right o-ring dimensions. Crossed it to a Microguard in stock. Turned out to be a half-round seal that didn't fit at all.

Picked up the fittings at Hyspeco and both o-rings at Yarbrough. Got it all hooked up and running. Guess I'll return the Perma-Cool mount whenever it shows up.

Still have to figure out the injection control pressure problem, but it runs as fast as I need it to without trouble for the next few weeks.

:homer:
Whilst backing up, I snagged a stump with the front wing plow bracket that hung 5" from the ground. Sheared two bolts.

20220531_130636.jpg

I've been longing to remove the wing plow crap for a while now. Made myself a good excuse to yank part of it off while we have a backhoe handy.

20220531_170220.jpg

Still looks cluttered. Less cluttered, though.

20220531_191020.jpg

Is the battery box the lowest point now? Could you raise it some without messing stuff up?

Is the battery box the lowest point now? Could you raise it some without messing stuff up?
The battery box is as low as the steps and fuel tank. I can raise it up 2 or 3 inches because there's a third set of bolt holes to mount it as it designed to be mounted.

I'm going to finish removing the wing plow parts and raise whatever else I can in the next few days. Lots of rain today turned the property into a mudslide again.

Replaced F6 5 amp fuse today. Somehow, that only partially fried when I hit the stump. Lost all my gauges and warning lights, but the gauges would creep like they were really low on voltage.

This truck does some weird stuff

Being a salt truck and all, how are the frame rails? Mine are jacked really bad and I'm going to cut it up. I plan to make new rail sections to splice in, shorten the truck and set a crane on it. Eventually lol.

Being a salt truck and all, how are the frame rails? Mine are jacked really bad and I'm going to cut it up. I plan to make new rail sections to splice in, shorten the truck and set a crane on it. Eventually lol.
They're surprisingly fairly solid, considering the use and abuse. There's plenty of rust and expansion in some places, but lots of good steel left.

They're surprisingly fairly solid, considering the use and abuse. There's plenty of rust and expansion in some places, but lots of good steel left.
These are jacked so far the outer is bent like 45° on the flange. See if you can knock that stuff out by hitting the flanges. It gets bad fast.

These are jacked so far the outer is bent like 45° on the flange. See if you can knock that stuff out by hitting the flanges. It gets bad fast.
I've been eyeing this every time I lift the bed. Thinking maybe a wood blade in the sawzall to knock the flakes out.

I've been eyeing this every time I lift the bed. Thinking maybe a wood blade in the sawzall to knock the flakes out.
Sledge, a shop vac, and some pick tool.

It went from I should take care of that to totally shot in 2 years.

Sledge, a shop vac, and some pick tool.

It went from I should take care of that to totally shot in 2 years.
What year, model and engine is yours?

I've got 120psi compressed air on mine. Could use a blow gun. Wondering if I should pour some rust converter between the layers once I get the flakes out.

It's a twin axle 4900. I forget the year (late 90s- early 00s) but engine is a dt466e.

It's a twin axle 4900. I forget the year (late 90s- early 00s) but engine is a dt466e.
Right on.

I still need to figure out why my dt466e is having difficulty with the injection pressure. Get up to 55mph/1800rpm and let off the pedal a bit, it defaults to idle until I coast down to 50mph/1600rpm.

Top Back Refresh