What's new

A-Salt truck. 2002 International 4900

Right on.

I still need to figure out why my dt466e is having difficulty with the injection pressure. Get up to 55mph/1800rpm and let off the pedal a bit, it defaults to idle until I coast down to 50mph/1600rpm.
I don't know if it's been brought up already, but have you ever had it over 55 other than downhill? 55 and 60 were fairly common governed speeds for that era plow truck, especially with a wing.

I don't know if it's been brought up already, but have you ever had it over 55 other than downhill? 55 and 60 were fairly common governed speeds for that era plow truck, especially with a wing.
I've had up to 70 numerous times up and downhill without trouble. 55mph just in general. It'll start this around 52, but get worse the faster I go. "Floating" the pedal right between coasting and holding speed will cause it to stumble just a tiny bit and then "let go" of the pedal. No response from the pedal until I coast down to a slow enough speed. If it sets the code, there's a slight stumble that is terrible in 1st or 2nd gear under light throttle. Turning the truck and starting back up seems to "reset" it and it's good to go again until I hit that throttle "float" at highway speed.

Sledge, a shop vac, and some pick tool.

It went from I should take care of that to totally shot in 2 years.
double frames are no good for salt
even just the reinforcement plates on the flanges of fords is enough to totally kill frames

Whenever I bolt something on any frame, it gets installed with asphalt in between the layers, prolly still wouldn't totally fix it forever.

double frames are no good for salt
even just the reinforcement plates on the flanges of fords is enough to totally kill frames

Whenever I bolt something on any frame, it gets installed with asphalt in between the layers, prolly still wouldn't totally fix it forever.
I tend to do the same. Any metal sandwich I make gets some kind of petroleum in the middle.

Gonna have to dig around for a short or two. Replaced the cluster fuse twice today. Pops the fuse on a hard bump. Apparently the stump hit knocked out my head/fog lights too.

Boys wanted to help. Had them unbolt the fuse block.

Explained that the gauge cluster and headlights quit working when I hit that stump. Oldest gives me a puzzled smirk and says, "That's dumb". I laughed and agreed.

20220603_101149.jpg

Traced the power wires from the cluster. They all splice together to two wires. One wire coming from the 5 amp fuse and another that splices in several locations to power a relay, some switch, and some lights.

I'm going to have isolate components one at a time and hit the same bridge bump that keeps popping the fuse. I found nothing obvious in the harness.

20220603_104222.jpg

Started at the headlight switch, as that was the easiest to access. Had power to, but no power from. Cleaned the contacts - made no difference. Eventually started working.

Checked power at the relay. Had power to, but no power from. Dafuq?

Messed with the high beam switch. Headlights would turn on if I held the switch.

Eventually had power from the relay. Followed it to the firewall block - had power (ciruit 53). Figured maybe both lights got jarred so hard that they broke. Realized I would have to replace the buckets in order to put new lights in because the buckets are rusted to shit.

20220603_150140.jpg

Went to test for power at the leads entering the bezels and the lights started working. Whatever.

Buttoned stuff up from headlight work. Flipped the switch and no headlights again. Opened the hood and fiddled around then they worked again. I can't get them to flicker or turn off by wiggling around the harness under the hood. Guess I'll see if they act up later.

Sitting around and thought it'd be a good time to change out the hub caps. Can't find the gaskets, so I may add them later because I don't think these caps will hold oil long without gaskets.

20220603_170332.jpg
20220603_174316.jpg

Buttoned stuff up from headlight work. Flipped the switch and no headlights again. Opened the hood and fiddled around then they worked again. I can't get them to flicker or turn off by wiggling around the harness under the hood. Guess I'll see if they act up later.

Sitting around and thought it'd be a good time to change out the hub caps. Can't find the gaskets, so I may add them later because I don't think these caps will hold oil long without gaskets.

20220603_170332.jpg
20220603_174316.jpg
Ultra black and your gtg on those.

Can't find the gaskets, so I may add them later because I don't think these caps will hold oil long without gaskets.
Do you know how to punch out gaskets with a ball peen hammer? A roll of gasket material and a bottle of Permatex aviation form-a-gasket will not leak and is serviceable.

Do you know how to punch out gaskets with a ball peen hammer? A roll of gasket material and a bottle of Permatex aviation form-a-gasket will not leak and is serviceable.
I do and have made my own gaskets for carbs many a time. I have new gaskets that I bought with the caps. They're in the truck somewhere.

I do and have made my own gaskets for carbs many a time. I have new gaskets that I bought with the caps. They're in the truck somewhere.
Ahh, Easter egg hunt time . . . maybe offer the kiddos a couple bucks to find 'em?

Ahh, Easter egg hunt time . . . maybe offer the kiddos a couple bucks to find 'em?
That's tempting. I'm too tired to hunt any more.

Like almost every part floating around in the truck - I can't find it when I'm ready to install it.

That's tempting. I'm too tired to hunt any more.

Like almost every part floating around in the truck - I can't find it when I'm ready to install it.
Underage, under-the-table labor can be handy :grinpimp: About 20 years ago my buddy had his house built and there were nails and screws everywhere in the yard. His son was the right age that a nickel a nail made him the most motivated nail-finder on the planet :laughing:

Just a thought do you have a floor mounted dimmer switch? Years ago I had one go funky on me, all the sudden the lights would start flashing on and off, it took me a while to figure out what it was basically it was the only thing I hadn't replaced ! :flipoff2:

Just a thought do you have a floor mounted dimmer switch? Years ago I had one go funky on me, all the sudden the lights would start flashing on and off, it took me a while to figure out what it was basically it was the only thing I hadn't replaced ! :flipoff2:
Not in this rig. Probably a good thing considering the floor is the most rotted part of it. I kept suspecting the high/low beam switch. Thinking it's either that or the harness under the hood.

As expected, the hub caps leaked. Topped them off and headed for gravel.

8.75 tons lol. Told them to fill it up.

20220609_135659.jpg

On the way to get the second load of gravel, the engine started sputtering and losing power under partial load. Stomped on the throttle and it cleared up. Sure acts like there's crud on the accelerator carbon strips.

B
As expected, the hub caps leaked. Topped them off and headed for gravel.

8.75 tons lol. Told them to fill it up.

20220609_135659.jpg

On the way to get the second load of gravel, the engine started sputtering and losing power under partial load. Stomped on the throttle and it cleared up. Sure acts like there's crud on the accelerator carbon strips.
Cute little load you have there. :flipoff2: I’ll haul almost 2.5 times that on my trucks :flipoff2:

Hopefully you took the black dirt off before you spread all that nice gravel.

B

Cute little load you have there. :flipoff2: I’ll haul almost 2.5 times that on my trucks :flipoff2:

Hopefully you took the black dirt off before you spread all that nice gravel.
Cute indeed. This truck has worked out very well for us aside from being another Navistar POS injection system. I've been hauling stuff that we can't have delivered via flatbed because a semi can't get near our road. The shallow sides have made it a breeze for the backhoe to pick stuff out.

Haven't taken the black off. Laid some more 2" down on the problem areas today. The rest is so heavily root-bound that the driveway gravel is staying on top.

That 3/4" in the pic is for backfill around our house foundation. I wouldn't dare put it down on the mud :lmao:

Cute indeed. This truck has worked out very well for us aside from being another Navistar POS injection system. I've been hauling stuff that we can't have delivered via flatbed because a semi can't get near our road. The shallow sides have made it a breeze for the backhoe to pick stuff out.

Haven't taken the black off. Laid some more 2" down on the problem areas today. The rest is so heavily root-bound that the driveway gravel is staying on top.

That 3/4" in the pic is for backfill around our house foundation. I wouldn't dare put it down on the mud :lmao:
Wtf where is the house build thread??? :flipoff2:

If you have foundation walls up already we are way behind in the updates :flipoff2:

Wtf where is the house build thread??? :flipoff2:

If you have foundation walls up already we are way behind in the updates :flipoff2:
I was considering a house build thread just because I could use some IBB $0.02 or flaming. Dunno. It's moving along. Had to put it off for a week due to heavy rain forecast - which never happened. Foundation is only 1/4 up because of that. Starting back on it tomorrow. Gonna scoop the 3/4 gravel directly out of the truck with the backhoe to save us some shovel time.

A house thread would compliment the truck well lol. I've got my Tonka truck and still play with blocks.

Last edited:
This^

We dug your (stalled out :flipoff2:) mobile home build thread, let's see the immobile home build :beer:
Both are in progress. Sort of. I'm working on bus stuff right now. Planning to pull the bus to the property once the foundation is in. Property is a mess of heavy equipment and materials.

Really want a house build thread?

I was considering a house build thread just because I could use some IBB $0.02 or flaming. Dunno. It's moving along. Had to put it off for a week due to heavy rain forecast - which never happened. Foundation is only 3/4 up because of that. Starting back on it tomorrow. Gonna scoop the 3/4 gravel directly out of the truck with the backhoe to save us some shovel time.

A house thread would compliment the truck well lol. I've got my Tonka truck and still play with blocks.
yeah iirc you were doing ICF or some shit, right?
get on that making a thread and shit

I'll update mine if you make one for your progress.

yeah iirc you were doing ICF or some shit, right?
get on that making a thread and shit

I'll update mine if you make one for your progress.
Was. I was dead set on ICF. Wife didn't seem to like it at all. She brings home the dough, so her decision wins.

I can start a thread. Would like a place to post stuff for my memory.

Top Back Refresh