What's new

Your shiddy weldz...

Vertical up welds… fucking awful 😢
Can I or should I run a cap pass on some of these? I feel like my heat was too high.

I was welding 3/16” to 1/8”

Attachments

• IMG_4618.jpeg
    IMG_4618.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4619.jpeg
    IMG_4619.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4620.jpeg
    IMG_4620.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4621.jpeg
    IMG_4621.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Do multiple stringers instead of a cap pass if you need to, but with 1/8-3/16" you don't need to with about 100 amps or whatever you are running.

Image 420 looks good enough for Instagram

Working on the front shackle hangers today

Attachments

• IMG_4658.jpeg
    IMG_4658.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4660.jpeg
    IMG_4660.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 82
Really triggers my ocd that you didn’t run that one bead out all the way lol

Why did that spot rot out? Hell I can still see the markings on some of the bolt heads. That is not a “rusty” truck. Is that near the hitch receiver?

Why did that spot rot out? Hell I can still see the markings on some of the bolt heads. That is not a “rusty” truck. Is that near the hitch receiver?
My father would only drive this 08 F250 he bought new in the winter time so the salt would just sit on the frame. Last year I replaced the front suspension spring buckets and we just replaced the bed floor and cross members in the bed before he took it to be inspected. That spot is on the spare tire carrier frame. Truck had 106k on it now

Burned in the other two DOM pieces on the shackle hangers today. I feel like I finally understand my settings using gas! Looking forward to attach them to my frame

Attachments

• IMG_4676.jpeg
    IMG_4676.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4675.jpeg
    IMG_4675.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 42
My brother and I are building a wood splitter to split wood for his gasification boiler, 8"x14"x12' main beam, what appears to be a Ford 7.5" axle out of a Mustang (right shape cover and takes 4 bolt wheels, this is the 3rd trailer it has been under that I know of) and a bunch of parts he and I have picked up over the years.
The axle assembly is upside down in these pictures, the 6"X2" C channel will have the other side up when it's put together
1000086901.jpg

1000086902.jpg

Aaron Z

ah, title misspelled to hell. Explains why I couldn't find it :lmao:

this used to be 2 pinholes. Fuck me running! there is another damned pinhole going all the way through on the left side :lmao: didn't notice that out there, easy to see in this picture though

20231228_161208.jpg

fuel tank rust repair

No acetylene torch?
it's somewhere. I've got many boxes that I still haven't unpacked since moving a couple years ago. Today would have been a great day for it.

wanted to use the gtaw also. Some time back I managed to break my back cap, several months after I bought a couple different length ones. It's been at least a year and a half since then and I have no clue where the hell the new caps are :homer:

fcaw it is. I'll need to get a stick when i'm done to see how many procupine tines I can break off inside there :lmao:

Welded some 3/4 plate to 1/4 angle for this dump truck project I'm working on. I beveled the 3/4 so that I could lay some root passes and get full penetration. I attempted to put a vertical down (mig) cover pass to make it look all pretty, and this is what I ended up with. :lmao:

IMG_20240106_153844067.jpg

The roots are good so I'm not worried about strength. But damn, I should have stopped while I was ahead.

IMG_20240106_153858385.jpg

Downhand wire is pretty much always a no no.... but to make it look pretty and all I get it.
Welded some 3/4 plate to 1/4 angle for this dump truck project I'm working on. I beveled the 3/4 so that I could lay some root passes and get full penetration. I attempted to put a vertical down (mig) cover pass to make it look all pretty, and this is what I ended up with. :lmao:

IMG_20240106_153844067.jpg

The roots are good so I'm not worried about strength. But damn, I should have stopped while I was ahead.

IMG_20240106_153858385.jpg

looks upside down but the second picture looks way better :smokin:

At least you welded the full length, so you are already better than most bed welds :laughing:

Downhand wire is pretty much always a no no.... but to make it look pretty and all I get it.
Ok so why? Honest question.

I've taught myself all the wrong habits I'm sure. I can't run wire uphill to save my ass. And I haven't picked up a stick welder in years. Need to get back to the basics.

looks upside down but the second picture looks way better :smokin:

At least you welded the full length, so you are already better than most bed welds :laughing:
Both those pics are right side up. :laughing:. 2nd pic is the 2 and 3 pass. I didn't get a pick of the root.

Not sure exactly, haha. I think it has something to do with the heat traveling up as you weld in the up direction. In down you are burning super got into cold the entire pass... but thats just a guess. I know its not structurally acceptable and an inspector wouldnt be ok with it.

I've taught myself all the wrong habits I'm sure. I can't run wire uphill to save my ass. And I haven't picked up a stick welder in years. Need to get back to the basics.

Both those pics are right side up. :laughing:. 2nd pic is the 2 and 3 pass. I didn't get a pick of the root.

Running downhill is faster so you generally don't get the heat input you do uphill. With a mig gun it isn't to hard to learn uphill, with stick you can go up a few posts to see I'm a better weld specifier than maker :lmao:

In a nutshell, gravity! Wire feeding uphill builds a shelf to hold the molten filler up while giving you time to penetrate deeper. Running downhill, it's a race to move faster than the filler can drip off, it really doesn't penetrate.

less penetration, it doesn't burn into the root as good when the puddle is rolling over the root rather than away from the root

you can get away with it on some cored wire and most stick rod but only if you keep everything really clean and perfect
iirc pipeliners get away with it because basically everything gets x-rayed so any inclusions will get caught or some shit, the added productivity is worth it or whatever

downhill is really nice for welding shit way too thin for what you've got
like sheetmetal with 045 wire, or 3/32" stick rod (6013's only good purpose is downhill sheet metal)

The puddle rolls along the joint travelling vertical down and you lose penetration at the root. It can look great on the outside and total shit underneath

Found this in the field this week… sort of describes what I tried to say above. This is only a sway bar link mount on a Monroe quick strut

Attachments

• IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
Top Back Refresh