What's new

Your shiddy weldz...

Fawk
1000001595.jpg

How about another picture from the top angle of that. Throw a plate over that and weld it more?

I’m not a certified welder. But you didn’t remove any mill scale and looks like fluxcore? Are you dragging or pushing the puddle?

Two minutes with a grinder and all that shit would be off…

Or just don't because it's not enough contamination to actually matter when working with steel.

There's four contaminants in this picture (paint, oil, scale, rust). 7018 gave no fucks about any of them.
attachment(83).jpg

attachment(84).jpg

How about another picture from the top angle of that. Throw a plate over that and weld it more?
Its on my list to grind out and re do before I wrap the project up. I still have to weld a plate on to box that in, so I'll fix it then.

My 16yo son bought my yamaha 700 raptor from me and he thinks wheelies are cool. I told him that he's gonna break the subframe someday doing wheelies...he didn't listen and dad was right! His friends tried to help him out and weld it up for him:eek:
1000000790.jpg
1000000791.jpg

I guess they didn't know it was aluminum and tried to mig it together with steel wire of course! I plasma gouged all the steel off of it to un fuck it as much as I could and then proceeded to burn in plenty of filler to fix it. It'll probably break again because it was cast AL and did not tig very good. There was lots of impurities coming to the surface while welding. It surely didn't help with all the steel they introduced to the aluminum.

Here it is in a semi un fucked status
1000000793.jpg

Trying to save the kid $300

My 16yo son bought my yamaha 700 raptor from me and he thinks wheelies are cool. I told him that he's gonna break the subframe someday doing wheelies...he didn't listen and dad was right! His friends tried to help him out and weld it up for him:eek:
1000000790.jpg
1000000791.jpg

I guess they didn't know it was aluminum and tried to mig it together with steel wire of course! I plasma gouged all the steel off of it to un fuck it as much as I could and then proceeded to burn in plenty of filler to fix it. It'll probably break again because it was cast AL and did not tig very good. There was lots of impurities coming to the surface while welding. It surely didn't help with all the steel they introduced to the aluminum.

Here it is in a semi un fucked status
1000000793.jpg

Trying to save the kid $300
Even if it breaks again, weld it. I wouldn’t bother paying $300 for a new sub frame. Maybe make a gusset to tie those holes together

This. We all started from a place of ignorance with a buddy convincing us that dad's welder will fix metal and that is metal right?
You're lucky your dad even had a welder. I had to barter for my first welder in college. :laughing:

Not mine, but wtf is going on here? I think thats going to affect ride quality.

1707308201491.png

Power at the house is doing this cool thing where it pulses and shit whenever it wants to, so once I hear the fan slow down or vary at all it's time to pause welding until the fan comes back up to speed. Had to replace a contact tip after the wire decided it didn't want to push through. Also varying degrees of recycled material and some rather sizeable gaps due to poor fit-up. windy and cold, working on the ground while crouching.

All the things required to success when making a cheap exhaust that only mostly needs to be there :rasta:

20240211_162222.jpg

Top Back Refresh