What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

While I can appreciate the boundary-pushing of this (and Rampage) event. I think the potential for severely catastrophic outcome(s) is simply too big. This gap gives me some bad feelings.
Yeah seeing that dude yeeting himself at the end was an eye opener. I read a comment somewhere that Gee Atherton is a known crazy person with a death wish who shouldn't be allowed to build anything. Seems about right. :flipoff2:

Yeah seeing that dude yeeting himself at the end was an eye opener. I read a comment somewhere that Gee Atherton is a known crazy person with a death wish who shouldn't be allowed to build anything. Seems about right. :flipoff2:
Ol George didn't even guinea pig it.

I watched the Matt Jones video of this and watching them do test run-ins with just a couple of dudes at the bottom holding a crash pad gave me the heebie jeebies. I get that it's shorter than the 90 footers hardline has lower down, but damn. Also Kerr going waay left on his first run was sketch.

Props to Matt though for showing up thinking he was gonna have a regular ol chill bike park day and sending anyway.

We're getting closer and closer to someone dying in a redbull mountain bike event. I hope they're paying well.

agreed. even with netting, coming up short is gonna have BIG repercussions.

pretty crazy when they literally say to each other "remember, you can't stop". once you're on the ramp, it's full commit

Do they have scientists or otherwise smart people figuring this shit out? Speeds, ramp angles, trajectories etc...?

Or is it just a bunch or Red Bull bros out there winging it?
For things like rampage- no. Riders build their line and ride it. For this, I'm not sure, but it seems like it's just Gee and Dan out there cranking out whatever they come up with and redbull kicking down the funds for the build and to run the event.

Both Matt and Bernard mentioned that the lip was not ideal after they hit that. I think the 3rd dude confirmed that it was, in fact, not ideal.

445483893_884266210173751_9133141288412886383_n.jpg

Yeah seeing that dude yeeting himself at the end was an eye opener.

he wasnt ready for the compression, unsure if he did all the prerunning that kerr/jones did. there is a compression into the 2-3 bike length flat spot before the compression of the lip. he buckled on the lip compression.

There's a kid Enduro up in nor cal this weekend. Got a green light from the Minister of Finance, so my 6 year old and I are going. It'll be interesting to see how he does with the transfer stages. He's not the biggest fan of climbing, but if he's got a good attitude, he'll go all day.

Gryphon Gromduro — Redding Trail Alliance

We're getting closer and closer to someone dying in a redbull mountain bike event. I hope they're paying well

Didn't Paul Basagoitia have trouble when he broke his back at Rampage? IIRC there's basically nothing for the riders unless they win. I'm not sure anything's going to happen if someone dies at a Redbull event.

Didn't Paul Basagoitia have trouble when he broke his back at Rampage? IIRC there's basically nothing for the riders unless they win. I'm not sure anything's going to happen if someone dies at a Redbull event.

I mean its a pretty obvious risk and these people would be finding a way to do similar without redbulls help

Can't remember if Paul Bas had a big time sponsor when we competed. (I remember rooting for him because he was one of the few old school dudes going for it that year along with Zink and Lyle). From the guys I know who have done this with one of those energy drink logos on their helmet, if they get hurt, their sponsor helps them out with rehab(example- I know a rockstar energy athlete who broke their collar bone early in the season and Rockstar paid for them to do some sort of experimental bone growth treatment so they could get back to competing before the season was over). If you don't have one of those, you're pretty much on your own. Redbull is just the promotor and not really under an obligation to help with injuries.

It's totally up to the riders if they want to take the risk, however I would imagine that sponsors wouldn't be happy with them skipping a high profile event that other riders are competing in.

For whatever reason it seems to me that mountain bike pros feel the need to prove to the world that they can go harder than the moto guys, and so they end up building huge jumps. What people don't seem to understand is that hitting stuff like this is waaay more sketchy without a motor to help you adjust your speed just before takeoff or to adjust the pitch of your bike in the air.

Then again Gee and Dan have always had a screw loose and gone huge. I remember I think a segment from one of the earthed DVDs when they were on Giant, hucking their brains out in a quarry somewhere near their house.

And....the gap is now gone (if it was ever REALLY gonna be used for the race, and not merely a publicity pre-race stunt)....

Untitled.jpg

either they didn't have time to rebuild the lip, or they realized how much risk that was and insurance said no

either they didn't have time to rebuild the lip, or they realized how much risk that was and insurance said no
lol. I think the jump wasn't working and it was going to be a PITA to rebuild the lip given where it was. Also that scaffolding was ugly AF compared to Redbull's usual MO of making their features also look aesthetically pleasing. Example: Redbull canyon gap at rampage or the Oakley icon sender.

I think Redbull's insurance is fairly DGAF given rampage when very similar pictures are released:
1716994385365.png

And....the gap is now gone (if it was ever REALLY gonna be used for the race, and not merely a publicity pre-race stunt)....
If it was a publicity stunt, I hope Redbull paid Bernard Kerr A LOT of money to be the guinea pig, since he's not even a Redbull athlete.

Looking forward to going Saturday to the first day of DH lift park riding of the year.

It's the only feature I've ever seen built for a pro even that made me not want to see people try to hit it. I'm including all of rampage going back to the beginning in that comment. My personal solution was I just wasn't going to watch the race. The test runs were enough for me.

It's the only feature I've ever seen built for a pro even that made me not want to see people try to hit it. I'm including all of rampage going back to the beginning in that comment. My personal solution was I just wasn't going to watch the race. The test runs were enough for me.
Yeah I proabaly would have watched.

Would I be suprised if Gee just thought it was all getting too easy using the same track again and he wanted something as unhinged as himself??

Top Back Refresh