What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

IMG_2511.JPG

Hit a root with the derailleur and bent the shit out of it. It was bent to about a 45 degree angle before I bent it back. I got one gear and was able to ride it back to the car.

Wheel build coming up I guess.

I am a sucker for a deal, and found these while searching for parts to go on wife's bike.

any suggestion for rims? Thinking about something light-ish? I have 1 We Are One faction rim around, and I may just use that and buy a second one, but I prefer 30mm Interior width. I am curious about the zip moto rims.

I am also curious about Berd spokes, butt fuck 8 dollars per spoke, so regular metal it will be.

20240622_101102.jpg

Also, got Wife's bike mostly built up.

Still needs a few things (damn cassette got lost in shipping), but pretty close.

She was going to come down to CA for a weekend, but got hurt so that's not happening. I guess giving it to her will have to wait. She doesn't know about it yet.

Ibis DV9, XT stuff. settled on a Fox 34 for the fork. Bontrager wheels.

20240622_110719.jpg

Been out a few times this week hacking trails back open and running hot laps. Beater Dartmoor has quickly become a favorite with the addition of the 36 and some PNW loam bars. Last night I rode till I could hardly see.

20240621_194352.jpg

K8nda interested in the rim topic too. My last sets I built were to Oozy trail295s and EX471s. My I9 hubs are still good but I'd like to go wider.

We Are One are the gold standard for carbon rims, best warranty and not made in China. I've had a set for almost 3 years now and not one problem with the rims or front wheel. The fronts never even needed to be trued! They do about 2 sales a year and a set of wheels gets down to around $1k with I9 1/1 hubs.

I've got 2 buddies with Berds and both say they won't do them again, not really worth it. One guy keeps breaking the spike nipples on them and says it's a real pain in the ass to replace them.

Not gonna lie, I've been questioning my faith in singlespeeding.
Given how "dry" some woods have gotten, and how high and thick the green stuff is growing, not having a derailleur and whatnot still kinda makes a bit of sense though. :laughing:
I've been doing the walk of shame about eleventy million dozen times :grinpimp:

Capture230624.PNG

IMG_20240623_090500_0.jpg

Maybe I've just gotten old enough to become a "gravel" rider
:flipoff2:

Last edited:
damn, that's a long assed ride
The last 170k road ride was a piece of cake, 130k offroad is a bit more brutal.
I had tried going from 34/18 to 32/20 and thought it was far too slow on a short 45k ride.
Soon enough I discovered that 34/20 is way too fast for a long shaky ride. Live and learn.
Guess I'll have to try 30/22 and turn the cranks a billion times to ride 200k. :laughing:

Wheel build coming up I guess.

I am a sucker for a deal, and found these while searching for parts to go on wife's bike.

any suggestion for rims? Thinking about something light-ish? I have 1 We Are One faction rim around, and I may just use that and buy a second one, but I prefer 30mm Interior width. I am curious about the zip moto rims.

I am also curious about Berd spokes, butt fuck 8 dollars per spoke, so regular metal it will be.

The Zipp rims are a love it or hate it type of wheel. I absolutely love the way they ride. rim "flex's" along the ground giving you a ton of traction. A couple of guys i know that absolutely rail corners don't like them because of the flex. I don't rail corners hard...

In other news I took a look at Marin's bikes because a buddy of mine is the product manager for all the fun bikes there and has been working to make some changes. In the past all their stuff seemed meh, but he's an ex pro ripper and huge bike nerd, so I was curious to see if he had an impact on their stuff.

The XR(Xtra Rad) versions of their bikes look like fun. Their alpine trail might have to be the next thing I replace my spire with, price is good too.
1000000382.png

Alpine Trail XR AXS
Any idea if they are going to come out with a carbon one? I'm in the market for a new bike soon

Yeah, right at the bottom of a pretty fast section too. Definitely glad I went up the downs first today!

The last 170k road ride was a piece of cake, 130k offroad is a bit more brutal.
I had tried going from 34/18 to 32/20 and thought it was far too slow on a short 45k ride.
Soon enough I discovered that 34/20 is way too fast for a long shaky ride. Live and learn.
Guess I'll have to try 30/22 and turn the cranks a billion times to ride 200k. :laughing:

I have settled on 32/17 as the perfect gear ratio for the stuff I ride my single speed on. 32/16 was rocketship fast but I basically couldn’t climb, 32/18t was slow and spinny.

What I have now is great for the very short, punchy climbs, and I can still manage longer slight/medium grades fine. If it’s got a bunch of longer steep, rooty, technical climbs, I’m going on something with gears and suspension.

Last edited:
Yeah, right at the bottom of a pretty fast section too. Definitely glad I went up the downs first today!
Came across one of those on a ride last week., laid across both sides of a blind, bermed switchback. Glad we rode up that way before coming back down....or it would've been ugly. Wasn't that big, but was 18" - 20" in diameter, about chest height.

Now that I have 1000k+ on this bike, I think I really like it.
It's definately not the most comfortable but feels absolutely bombproof.
'22 kona unit size L steel frame w/ kona rigid steel fork
80mm stem 720mm bar, ergon grips and saddle,
27.5x3.0 spesh purgatory F & 27.5x2.8 WTB ranger rear on WTB i40 rims w/ shimano hubs,
m6120 4pot brakes 200F 180R discs
34/20 gearing XT cranks oneup resin flats
IMG_20240630_161215_5.jpg

Today as a team, among other things we threw ourselves into some fuckedup rocky downhill singletrack, not even making a prayer, and amazingly we came out unharmed. Not having a low hanging derailleur thingy can be a blessing.
I defeated my singlespeed nemesis climb (23% max incline on cobbles) and did a fair bit of hike-a-bike too.
Sometimes you just have to embrace the shame I guess. :grinpimp:
3006241.PNG

Last edited:
Yes, but if I had to pick between riding cool secret trails in Toro Park and riding cool secret trails in Santa Cruz, I'd pick the Santa Cruz option every time.
True, I have work training in salinas though. I might try to hit Santa cruz before

True, I have work training in salinas though. I might try to hit Santa cruz before
Oh, gotcha. Then the trails you're looking for are in Toro park if you don't mind a long-ish climb for a long-ish downhill or some exposure coming down.

Pipeline, Marks Canyon, Toro Loco, and Airplane are the good ones. Airplane ends in a different part of the park and requires you to climb back out to something else.

Pipeline is the most straight forward of the bunch. When are you here? I might be able to show you around.

Sandy Johnson Aug 2-4th. Might try to come down the 1st or Jul 31 and ride Santa cruz. I'm not opposed to long climbs as long as it's not too hot.

Sandy Johnson Aug 2-4th. Might try to come down the 1st or Jul 31 and ride Santa cruz. I'm not opposed to long climbs as long as it's not too hot.
I won't be able to make the SC rides, but could probably show you some trails that weekend. I dont go hard on the climbs. If we're lucky maybe we can even convince 2big bronco to drag his carcass up the hill with us.

Top Back Refresh