What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

Quick poll.

Who is running electric shifting/dropper vs mechanical?

It seems like electric is all over the internet but no-one I rides with uses it. Kind of curious what others find.
I've got friends who spend a lot of money on bikes, they all say AXS isn't worth it and a couple have gone back to mechanical. They all also say transmission axs is totally worth it. I don't have it t because it's not worth the upgrade price yet. Also I keep destroying hubs so I've got a money pit. Pretty sure my back up wheel set rear hub is fucked now too. :mad3:

I run mechanical on everything I own but the XC crowd I ride with occasionally mostly ride high end bikes with AXS. They all love it and don't complain. I will say none of them are likely to actually work on their own bikes so that may be part of it.

Roached a rim(Stans Sentry) on the Dartmoor, it's already got mismatched wheels cause it was built from spare parts.. I've got a old set of pre boost I9 Torch hubs with Spank 295s here. Fronts are all converted to boost, tossed a boost spacer kit in back to get it rolling again. Worth tossing some rims on these things at this point? I was hoping to be able to just swap some Spank 395s on but they have a different ERD.

Last edited:
Guess the Spot Rocker hardtail is getting a Ripmo partner :eek:

Did Upper and Middle Spinal Tab this morning to finish the demo weekend. Quickish spin on the local trails late yesterday with a fresh start fire across the valley near the other local trails.

IMG_7502.jpeg

IMG_7505.jpeg

IMG_7506.jpeg

IMG_7508.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got friends who spend a lot of money on bikes, they all say AXS isn't worth it and a couple have gone back to mechanical. They all also say transmission axs is totally worth it.
This right here. Biggest takeaway is that everyone I know who run transmission axs thinks it's the best thing ever. I guess it shifts better under load, which takes some getting used to at first but is then magical.

As for myself- I'm still in cable actuated shifting and seatposts. I can barely remember to charge my ebike let alone derailleurs and seat post droppers. I'll probably dip a toe in the transmission water if my next bike comes with it or the price comes down significantly.

Quick poll.

It seems like electric is all over the internet but no-one I rides with uses it. Kind of curious what others find.
I run mechanical shifting on everything (or none on single-speed)

I have always believed bikes are beautiful because of their simplicity. Adding electronics and complexity takes away the elegant beauty of what a bike is for me.

Quick poll.

Cable shifting and droppers on all our bikes here.

I have seen a few people have batteries go dead and one detailer not sync before a ride. Cost for me. I did a cable, SLX cassette, and XT derailleur for less than a buddy paid for his SRAM cassette. It might not be smooth all the time but it always works.

I won't be able to make the SC rides, but could probably show you some trails that weekend. I dont go hard on the climbs. If we're lucky maybe we can even convince 2big bronco to drag his carcass up the hill with us.
Are you guys free to ride Friday around noon? I'll be done with training Sunday around 3 if you guys are free to ride then

Are you guys free to ride Friday around noon? I'll be done with training Sunday around 3 if you guys are free to ride then
Toss up for me. My wife is actually having heart surgery on Thrusday. Doc says recovery is supposed to be same day, but I've got friday off just in case. So yeah, wont' really know until probably friday morning.

Anyone hear anything about the new OneUp hubs? Pretty sure the Shimano hub in my backup wheel has fucked itself right off and is about to fail. Seems like those might be easy to repair when the drive ratchets fail at least.

so should i get a specialized turbos levo alloy comp or a transition repeater?
Levo.
They just work. Smooth and reliable.
4 in our group now.

I run a comp carbon.
Comp does have many upgrades, most importantly, the wheels will accept a Fox fork.
Non Comp are Rockshox, that can use Fox with adapter.

I bought my son a regular carbon and moved all my parts over to his.

Plenty of used post covid Levos out there.

The best upgrade I have done is the 38 fork. I had a hard time dialing in the 36.
36 was bottoming or too hard.
36 had too little range for the weight.
38, at the end of the ride, I'm 80% of the o ring and just is more planted.
Definitely better.

I've done the X2 rear shock upgrade. Negligible difference.

The GX transmission.
Yes, it's very good.
Necessary, maybe not.

If you're running an unknown trail, and you come up to a rock ridge and you need to downshift fast, zip, zip, zip.
It is really fast, and precise.

Can you do it with cable? Absolutely. Maybe faster.
It is solid, and no b screw. Just works.

The best part is when you tell your friends that you have to charge your derailer to ride

Levo.

Heading to ride parliament trails Saturday morning outside Nevada city if anyone wants to go.

Does anyone have any trail recommendations for the Coeur d’alene area? I’ll be headed that way on Sunday and will have a few mornings to ride while my wife is in a conference. I’m more of a longer backcountry ride type than a bike park type fwiw.

Is this worth my time building myself a bike off the frame? I don’t have a hard tail. Is the frame worth a
IMG_3370.jpeg
project?

IMG_3368.jpeg
IMG_3371.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg

Is this worth my time building myself a bike off the frame? I don’t have a hard tail. Is the frame worth a project?
It's nothing special. If you're already going to buy all new parts, might as well spend a few extra $$$ and buy a decent hardtail frame with modern geometry and wheel sizes to hang all your new parts off of.

Example (if you'd fit on a large): 2021 Ragley Big Al For Sale

or this if you want to also pick up a few parts for it: 2022 Rocky Mountain Growler For Sale

Top Back Refresh