What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

Took the Slash out today since the Dartmoor needs a tire. Did like 7.5 miles on it completely uneventful and got it pretty dialed. Get home and I'm like what's that, oh a thorn shit. Roll hole to bottom and shake and it's just spraying sealant out till flat.

Moral of my story, don't mess with things in your tires. At least I wasn't on the trail.

Took the Slash out today since the Dartmoor needs a tire. Did like 7.5 miles on it completely uneventful and got it pretty dialed. Get home and I'm like what's that, oh a thorn shit. Roll hole to bottom and shake and it's just spraying sealant out till flat.

Moral of my story, don't mess with things in your tires. At least I wasn't on the trail.
What kind of sealant?

That's odd. I'm also an orange seal fan, but I usually just run the regular version.

First time using endurance, not a fan. Once it's gone I'll be back on the original. I let it sit hole down overnight hoping it seals up so I can just top it off and peal out.

Early start this morning. Darn these local trails and their views. :smokin:

IMG_7443.jpeg

IMG_7452.jpeg

IMG_7456.jpeg

Took the Dartmoor out this morning. Humid AF and started raining so I packed it in. SE5 is a wobbly one for sure now but it held on for one last unplanned ride. Eating lunch and my new tire and sealant shows up. Kinda surprised to get it on a holiday but I can't wait to try this thing out.

20240704_132138.jpg

before I toss it on ebay to try to get a couple pennies, anyone on here want one of these? Loved it on the front of my old bike enough that I bought 2 more in Covid times when it looked like i couldn't ever get them again. swapped 1 on, sold the bike well before I wore out that one. I definitely paid $50/each back then, that was a mistake apparently.

pay shipping and i'll send it your way. I can't use it, haven't got bites locally, and I'm moving and trying to thin my shit out.

1720185633318.png

I took the advise on here and replaced my Rock Shox Judy with a Fox 34 AWL. I got the Fox shock installed and have ridden about 17 miles.

On my second ride, i noticed that the shock was getting soft and turned the stiffness all the way up. Halfway through the ride the shock is completely soft.

After that ride, i pump it back up from 25 psi to 100. I let it sit for a day and checked it again. The shock does not hold the pressure.

I contacted the company that i bought the shock from. Their response was that it is normal to fill the shock with air before every ride and that there is a break in period of 50 hours.

Is this true? Should i wait on starting a warranty claim and get some more time on the shock? I never had a break in period with my last shock. Google responses are that their shock was too stiff new.

I took the advise on here and replaced my Rock Shox Judy with a Fox 34 AWL. I got the Fox shock installed and have ridden about 17 miles.

On my second ride, i noticed that the shock was getting soft and turned the stiffness all the way up. Halfway through the ride the shock is completely soft.

After that ride, i pump it back up from 25 psi to 100. I let it sit for a day and checked it again. The shock does not hold the pressure.

I contacted the company that i bought the shock from. Their response was that it is normal to fill the shock with air before every ride and that there is a break in period of 50 hours.

Is this true? Should i wait on starting a warranty claim and get some more time on the shock? I never had a break in period with my last shock. Google responses are that their shock was too stiff new.
No....not normal.

When you are putting air into the fork, are you cycling the travel through every few pumps?

Regardless, that amount of air loss (whether initial 'break-in period' of not) or any, really, is certainly NOT normal. Who, may I ask, was the vendor who sold it?

When you are putting air into the fork, are you cycling the travel through every few pumps?

Regardless, that amount of air loss (whether initial 'break-in period' of not) or any, really, is certainly NOT normal. Who, may I ask, was the vendor who sold
I did not cycle the travel while airing it up. I got it from Jenson USA.

I am not familiar with the AWL fork, but no, adding air before every ride is not normal.

Try pulling the core out of the schrader valve, cleaning it, and re installing?
Good idea to check, for sure

Try that....but it does sound like there is a leak somewhere. As granitestatedestroyer mentioned....first place I'd look would be the Schrader valve. Worst case.....take the fork bak off the ike, air it up and dunk it in water or spray some water on the fork leg seals area and valve still on the bike (I'd only do that if I could not determine a valve leak....but neither will really damage anything at all.) and see where the leak may be coming from....seals would really be the only other place than the valve.

I live pretty close to Freeak, same crap Sunday morning. I did a 4mile lap took a break then another 4 mile lap. I was toasted and got in the woods at 8am. The heat and humidity just strips you of energy.

Their response was that it is normal to fill the shock with air before every ride and that there is a break in period of 50 hours.

hell no. I' don't think I ever had to refill my previous fork in the 2yrs between service. Haven't touched my new bike either, though I haven't ridden much this year

When you got the fork, did it have any air in it at all? Do you live at altitude by any chance?

And I've been using suspension forks since they were invented. Never had one I had to fill every ride unless it had issues. I've even got a 34 on my hardtail right now that I haven't touched since I slapped it on the bike a few years ago.

If your fork or shock isn't holding air it's fucked and needs warranty, replacement or rebuild. I'd contact Fox directly for warranty if you didn't buy it at a LBS.

It did have air in when i got it. I can't remember how much but i did have to pump it up to 100 psi.I don't live at altitude. It's around 900' where I'm at.

I'm going to go riding again this weekend and will check the pressure before and after. Also going to check the Schrader valve for any leaks. Anything after that it's going to be a call to fox. I have heard that they have good customer service. Hopefully this is true if i have to start a warranty claim.

I haven't had to touch my FOX 38 unless I was adjusting for conditions. With my Revelation I would have to burp the air at the seals every so often like a moto fork, but the fork pressure always stayed real well. I like the Fox has air bleads to make that easy.

If a fork won't hold the same pressure for 3 months, there's something wrong.

Easy thing to check. Does the valve core leak?
From there it'll either be leaking out the top-cap o-rings or into the lower legs. If it leaks into the lower legs the fork will feel really hard off the top as the lowers pressurise.

Top Back Refresh