What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

Transmission shifts fast but will que a shift if there is too much torque (I don't know their fancy terminology for it, just what it feels like). Regular AXS is more predictable as far as it will let you break a chain at will... lol. Transmission is the quietest drivetrain I have ever had.
Transmission has cassette mapping. This means it'll hold off on a shift until it hits one of the predetermined shift points on the cassette. The system shifts better the more torque you add. shifts incredible on ebikes.

Transmission has cassette mapping.
No it doesn't. They call it mapping, but its misleading. There are no sensors or anything for it to determine where the cassette is.

What it does do is limit the amount of side force on the guide pulley to let the shift ramps do their thing. That's why it is slower and will only do one shift at a time.

No it doesn't. They call it mapping, but its misleading. There are no sensors or anything for it to determine where the cassette is.

What it does do is limit the amount of side force on the guide pulley to let the shift ramps do their thing. That's why it is slower and will only do one shift at a time.
It might be using motor current to sense when it can shift, or it could be just guessing based on what gear you're in and how fast you're turning the chain/cassette. Either way full power shifting on an eeb is pretty damn awesome. :smokin:

I'm heading to Bend, OR tomorrow and taking me eeb, fully prepared to ignore any Karen's on the trail. :flipoff2:

Frustrating day at Summit yesterday. Put new tire front and rear the day before and they both seemed sealed and good. Both had pressure unloading from the truck. Second run down and the front is sketchy in the berms. It is an IRC Tanken 29x2.6 and I normally run an Assegai in the same size. I am thinking, "this tire can't suck that bad". Then one berm it fully folds sending me real hard right...right of the trail. I save it and then notice it lost a ton of pressure. Add air at the top and it is flattish again half way down. Take it to the shop and they put a new core in the stem and say it sealed. First run after it is good, the next it drops pressure again. We were only doing a half day so I called it and went back to the truck while the rest did another lap.
I was told the Trek rim strip is super easy and works well. Anyone have experience using the 30mm strip on a 31.5mm tire. Hopefully that with some more Stans will do the trick. If not I will just Gorilla tape it.
Also what are your favorite levers. The normal ones are a struggle with the inserts.

Ugh. Maxxis does do a great job of making sure their tubeless beads work well with most rims. Never had experience with the trek strips; I just use regular ol stans or dt swiss rim tape.

Had an eventful week trying to dust off the ebike and ride it. Buddy who works at specialized and is normally an XC lap crushing beast got his hands on a new levo sl and wanted to come play on the rougher trails. We decided we were going to do a tour de gnarly laps on eebs last wednesday. I pull my bike off the bike rack, turn it on in the parking lot and go BS with some homies. A few minutes later I look down and the bike is off. That's odd. I hit the button again, it turns on and I continue waiting for some other guys to get ready. As I'm waiting I looked at my display just in time to watch it die again. WTF?!? Go to turn it on again and it was not to be. I ended up busting one 1,700 ft of climbing lap on a dead ebike and calling it.

Back at home I pull the battery, do some power cycle and wire jiggling shenanigans and it turns on. Ride it two blocks and it dies. FAAAWK. Pull battery again and it turns on. I'd heard it can be a firmware issue with the shimano motors siting too long in between rides, so while it's on I update the firmware. It rides great after that and makes it around town.

Fast forward to yesterday. We're gonna go for the eeb tour de gnar again before my buddy has to give the bike back, so I double check we're all charged up and the bike turns on/off at home first. Sweet. We take off on a the group ride, peel off, get a bonus descent, loop around and haul butt back up to catch up with the main group. Get to the top of the mountain and the bike has been working flawlessly. I turn it off while we wait for some of the non-ebike homies to get to the top. Once we regroup, I go to turn the bike on... nope. Pull the battery at the top of the hill... nope. #&@^$(&@#(!! At least I'm at the top this time. Hop on the bike and ride it down. I send my buddy off with some of the other guys on ebikes, and ride out. There's a barb wire fence at the end you have to hop over- I goofed up with I heaved my bike over and it fell pretty hard on the other side. Whatever, stupid thing doesn't work anyway. Climb over the fence and try it for giggles and the damn thing turns on. Too late. I'm closer to beer than trails, so that's where I go. I drink some beer, the rest of the group shows up and it's tacos and beer/whiskey time.

One of my other homies shows up later and hasn't ridden yet. He askes if anyone wants to go, I say yes since I've got half an ebike battery and a feeling that I had missed out that morning. We head back up and he's asking about my bike, and I'm getting all technical complain about the little shimano wires that go into the back of the display. Right at the base of the first big climb I reach down to jiggle them to show my distain aaaand... bike shuts off. My buddy riding: "Oh shit, jiggle it again!". Nothing. I figure I needed a workout anyway, so I climb half way up. We stop and I'm messing with the plug on the offending wire, and the wire promptly breaks off from the plug. At least I finally found the problem I guess? After about 800' of climbing I call it and peel off on a single track back down.

Yay ebikes! Here's a picture of me doing it wrong:
1722870648674.png

Ugh. Maxxis does do a great job of making sure their tubeless beads work well with most rims. Never had experience with the trek strips; I just use regular ol stans or dt swiss rim tape.

Had an eventful week trying to dust off the ebike and ride it. Buddy who works at specialized and is normally an XC lap crushing beast got his hands on a new levo sl and wanted to come play on the rougher trails. We decided we were going to do a tour de gnarly laps on eebs last wednesday. I pull my bike off the bike rack, turn it on in the parking lot and go BS with some homies. A few minutes later I look down and the bike is off. That's odd. I hit the button again, it turns on and I continue waiting for some other guys to get ready. As I'm waiting I looked at my display just in time to watch it die again. WTF?!? Go to turn it on again and it was not to be. I ended up busting one 1,700 ft of climbing lap on a dead ebike and calling it.

Back at home I pull the battery, do some power cycle and wire jiggling shenanigans and it turns on. Ride it two blocks and it dies. FAAAWK. Pull battery again and it turns on. I'd heard it can be a firmware issue with the shimano motors siting too long in between rides, so while it's on I update the firmware. It rides great after that and makes it around town.

Fast forward to yesterday. We're gonna go for the eeb tour de gnar again before my buddy has to give the bike back, so I double check we're all charged up and the bike turns on/off at home first. Sweet. We take off on a the group ride, peel off, get a bonus descent, loop around and haul butt back up to catch up with the main group. Get to the top of the mountain and the bike has been working flawlessly. I turn it off while we wait for some of the non-ebike homies to get to the top. Once we regroup, I go to turn the bike on... nope. Pull the battery at the top of the hill... nope. #&@^$(&@#(!! At least I'm at the top this time. Hop on the bike and ride it down. I send my buddy off with some of the other guys on ebikes, and ride out. There's a barb wire fence at the end you have to hop over- I goofed up with I heaved my bike over and it fell pretty hard on the other side. Whatever, stupid thing doesn't work anyway. Climb over the fence and try it for giggles and the damn thing turns on. Too late. I'm closer to beer than trails, so that's where I go. I drink some beer, the rest of the group shows up and it's tacos and beer/whiskey time.

One of my other homies shows up later and hasn't ridden yet. He askes if anyone wants to go, I say yes since I've got half an ebike battery and a feeling that I had missed out that morning. We head back up and he's asking about my bike, and I'm getting all technical complain about the little shimano wires that go into the back of the display. Right at the base of the first big climb I reach down to jiggle them to show my distain aaaand... bike shuts off. My buddy riding: "Oh shit, jiggle it again!". Nothing. I figure I needed a workout anyway, so I climb half way up. We stop and I'm messing with the plug on the offending wire, and the wire promptly breaks off from the plug. At least I finally found the problem I guess? After about 800' of climbing I call it and peel off on a single track back down.

Yay ebikes! Here's a picture of me doing it wrong:
1722870648674.png
On the bright side, that looks cheaper to fix then leaving your charger in mamoth.

I don't think it was a bead issue as much as the factory rim tape probably got damaged in the uninstall/install. I have had bad results with Stans rim tape. The last one I went out of the way to make sure I had a clean rim and that I got it pressed in the rim valley real well and it still failed. I will use gorilla tape before playing with that stuff again. The Trek thing looks interesting as it you just stretch it over. I think specialized also has something similar but the Trek thing is molded for the rim valley.

I don't think it was a bead issue as much as the factory rim tape probably got damaged in the uninstall/install. I have had bad results with Stans rim tape. The last one I went out of the way to make sure I had a clean rim and that I got it pressed in the rim valley real well and it still failed. I will use gorilla tape before playing with that stuff again. The Trek thing looks interesting as it you just stretch it over. I think specialized also has something similar but the Trek thing is molded for the rim valley.
ah, gotcha. I've use a lot of stans tape in my time. It seems to hold fairly well on a clean rim, but can get peeled back if someone gets it really good with a tire lever. Currently I think most of my bikes are using dt swiss tubeless tape. Zero complains and zero issues so far. I'd trust that more than gorilla tape.

Dt Swiss Tubeless Tape | Jenson USA

I will use gorilla tape before playing with that stuff again. The Trek thing looks interesting as it you just stretch it over. I think specialized also has something similar but the Trek thing is molded for the rim valley.

I just ran a few laps of 3m electrical tape over some Stans tape just this afternoon :laughing::laughing: Couldn’t get the bead to seat and needed some extra girth

Do any of yall people have a non glamorous 29er boost tapered steer 140ish travel fork that needs a good home? I have found myself in the market.

I had to borrow the fork off of my 29er hardtail to run on my 27.5 full suspension, and I’ve decided I want to make this a permanent arrangement.

IMG_3191.jpeg

I just ran a few laps of 3m electrical tape over some Stans tape just this afternoon :laughing::laughing: Couldn’t get the bead to seat and needed some extra girth

Do any of yall people have a non glamorous 29er boost tapered steer 140ish travel fork that needs a good home? I have found myself in the market.
Incoming :flipoff2:

I put single speed guys in the same group as cyclocross guys. Sure you can do it but why? :rainbow:
The same reason some guys prefer to wheel in their XJ on 31's vs their buggy on 42's.
The trails you ride on a carbon full sus 12 speed bike are completely different on a SS hardtail. Your focus is different, lines are different, effort is different. I tend to focus on cornering and more direct lines, because I know if I lose speed, I can't just pedal to get it back.

The worst thing about SS is you're always in the wrong gear.
The best thing about SS is you're always in the right gear.

Top Back Refresh