What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

Our friends with The Good Cameras snapped some shots of the grom mammoth trip last week. I want to go back damn it.

1721252136178.png

2big bronco and his oldest:
1721252185490.png

Coaching him on his first time on the Richter drop-in at Mammoth. This one is a potato shot from my cell phone at the bottom
1721252403820.png

My younger son as no sense of self preservation.
1721252249703.png

Don't let mom catch you!
1721252531011.png

bounced yourself off the edge and down into the ravine?

Did similar once going way too hot and got bounced by a stump. probably the only time I was happy to fall into a big tangle of vines/thorns, got lucky there weren't big rocks in that area :homer:

bounced yourself off the edge and down into the ravine?

Did similar once going way too hot and got bounced by a stump. probably the only time I was happy to fall into a big tangle of vines/thorns, got lucky there weren't big rocks in that area :homer:
There are two jumps right before that. One of the dudes who is doing constant trail work out there l but doesn't really ride put in a waterbar/ drainage ditch right at the bottom of the landing for the second jump. It's been eating people. I hadn't ridden the trail in a few weeks and forgot about it. Smacked it front tire heavy on the landing and managed to hang on, but I ended up trying to ride the whole thing out with my back tire 4 ft in the air and my chest on the bars. Ended up hitting another rock or root and either slamming on a rock pile or getting chucked down the side of the ravine. Ravine looked softer.

Anyone using Schwalbe tires? Thinking about trying them out this winter on the eebs. Do I use the Magic Mary F/R or throw a Big Betty on the rear?

My go to for years has always been a MM up front. I still have one on my enduro bike but switched to a Argotal on my HT/trail bike and have been very happy.

I ran a Nobby Nic and back and don't like it. Hans is money on soft stuff. Never tried a MM in back.

Does anyone have any trail recommendations for the Coeur d’alene area? I’ll be headed that way on Sunday and will have a few mornings to ride while my wife is in a conference. I’m more of a longer backcountry ride type than a bike park type fwiw.

Since nobody was of any help whatsoever, here’s what I did :flipoff2::flipoff2: If anyone finds themselves out here, these are my notes. I had planned on making it out to Schweitzer but just couldn’t get the scheduling to jive with my wife’s conference. Hiked up there today and I would make it a priority if we come back.

IMG_3287.png

IMG_3285.png

IMG_3288.jpeg

IMG_3283.png
IMG_3284.png

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpeg
    IMG_3286.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 2
Does anyone have any trail recommendations for the Coeur d’alene area? I’ll be headed that way on Sunday and will have a few mornings to ride while my wife is in a conference. I’m more of a longer backcountry ride type than a bike park type fwiw.
Spocompton side, but about a 30m drive from Coeur Darlene :flipoff2:

There is a Camp Sekani side and the traditional Beacon Hill side. The EMBA has spent a lot of time building recently so there is quite a bit up there. A lottttt of mtb trails.

Camp Sekani
Great for looping and playing. Lots of shorter slabs and jumps including some big ole jump lines. It all starts with a really nice climbing trail called Upchuck. I haven't spent time on the jump trails so I cna't give reccs on that. But stuff to check out ->

Bomber, Good Times, Kessel Run, Stalingrab, Beeline

You can lap all of these. I think we did like 6 laps on that side of things in a couple hours. It was very fun. Also keep your eyes peeled there are rock rolls and moves on sidelines everywhere. Its very fun.

Beacon Hill
Longer laps - def be ready for some climbing. It's not like climbing to the top of Tiger but definitely some more serious elevation over here. You'll start on Airport Escalator and eventually link up with Up Chuck (which you can take from the Camp Sekani to the other side with some fun side lines on the way as well!). There is another lot called Minehaha parking wher eyou can climb Esmerelda up as well and it's a very nice climbing trail. Lots of blue to double black tech over here. I wanted to see the double black lines go before I attempted them. I'd be curious to go back out there though and see how I felt about them. Stuff that was super fun ->

Quarantine, Vince 5k, Pop Rocks, Canyon Blaster, Master Blaster, Yard Sale, Evil Twin, Deep thought, Scared Cat, Penny Lane.

Look before you leap at Beacon! Lots of lines are marked but lots and lots and lots of lines are unmarked. There are rolls that look like drops and dorps that look like rolls. There are trails with three rolls in a row followed by a drop that looks like the previous three rolls. But it's fast, it's fun, it's flowy and when it's riding really well. It's good.

I am super tempted to pull the trigger on this propain ekano 2. It’s a crazy good deal at 5k. Not sure I should get this or the comp alloy levo
IMG_9429.png

Not sure is this is okay in here but you'll get over it. This was delivered this week, it's a XXL YT Szepter Core2. I've never rode one and was always kinda like "F*ck that, I'm a mountain biker!" I ordered it after thinking about buying a new bike. I'm pretty happy with my Dartmoor and my Slash covers anything more. I could have made changes to make bikes less capable but that's dumb.

I put 40 miles on it since Friday, I absolutely love it. It handles single track that's not chunky with ease too.

20240728_163010.jpg

I’ve been wanting to get back into riding so I picked up a used Pivot today.

IMG_7501.jpeg

DirtRoads let me know next time you’re over this way.

You ride it yet? If you’ve been out of it awhile new bikes are game changers. I also went from a 26” hardtail to a 29” full suspension :laughing:

I’ve only been out of it a few years. I’m replacing an aluminum Raleigh full suspension that’s probably newer than the Pivot, but about 1/10th the bike :lmao:

I have GX AXS on the arrival and XX transmission on the Ryve. I am a huge fan of electronic shifting. I had SLX and XX1 on previous bikes, they shifted fine, but required more maintenance. I have about 500 miles on the transmission and over 1,000 on the axs. In that time I have replaced one chain. I did bang up the axs derailleur hanger but was able to adjust the shifter quickly, no tools needed to make micro adjustments.

Transmission shifts fast but will que a shift if there is too much torque (I don't know their fancy terminology for it, just what it feels like). Regular AXS is more predictable as far as it will let you break a chain at will... lol. Transmission is the quietest drivetrain I have ever had.

I have the axs droppers on both bikes. I don't have any issues with them, I wouldn't buy one though... just came on the bikes. I previously used the loam dropper and the one up dropper. I was happy with them too.

My only issue has been tires. I finally settled on the continental tires for the bigger bike and schwalbe's on the little bike. Bentonville is hard on tires. The wicked will's are great xc/down country tires. They are holding up much better than the vittoria and maxxis. The maxxis assegai was probably the best front tire for aggressive riding here, just a ton of rolling resistance. I think the continental is a little faster with out giving up grip.

Top Back Refresh