What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

I have been spending money like there is no tomorrow... 3 bikes, pedals, seats, grips, shoes, bibs, shorts, jerseys, gloves, helmets, maintenance stand, wall mounts, rack, I don't even want to know what this month cost.

Went to the first NICA meetup, can any of you fellas give me any advice about what tools and gear to get to help out during practices and at the races? Is there a complete quality tool set that is a no brainer? Or piece it together?

Needed spare parts? Bike shop looked at me funny when I askled about a spare tire and tube.

I rode yesterday with a small backpack and camelbak and my teen drank all their water, my water, and ate everything I happened to bring so that tells me to carry those in abundance.

Any tips? I am watching videos about washing, adjusting, maintaining etc I have never touched a bike :homer:
As a coach I had a small first aid kit (mostly Band-Aids, gauze, and tape), bigger bike multi tool with chain breaker, master link, small patch kit, tube (a 29" tube will work in a 27.5 but not the other way around, and a pump. My water was in my pack but I always had a large bottle in the cage for those in need. A bunch of extra bars and such. I also had Benadryl, but more for me than them as I would be hesitant to give out meds even as harmless as that. I had a separate coach pack than my fun ride pack. Some of what you need to carry also depends on the team dynamics. We were a small team and had many rides with all skill levels and bike levels. If it was with a larger team with that had groups separated by skill you probably would need a lot less stuff on you to support better fit kids with better maintained equipment.

Are you fellas wearing knee or elbow padding? We both wrecked several times Sunday, at the meetup last night one kid last year had broke wrist/collarbone and another a wrist.

Full face helmet? I have never owned a bike helmet and got a fox mips pro, but after a wreck Sunday and my face grazing a rock I am re thinking that.

Are all the chains the same? I have two sram axs bikes and one Shimano xt.

Are you fellas wearing knee or elbow padding? We both wrecked several times Sunday, at the meetup last night one kid last year had broke wrist/collarbone and another a wrist.

no pads for the trails, just have to learn to not put your hands out and tuck and roll.

knee pads when i rode park

Full face helmet? I have never owned a bike helmet and got a fox mips pro, but after a wreck Sunday and my face grazing a rock I am re thinking that.

i only wear a full face at the park

nope, shimano and sram are different and not compatible.

no pads for the trails, just have to learn to not put your hands out and tuck and roll.

knee pads when i rode park

i only wear a full face at the park

nope, shimano and sram are different and not compatible.

x2 on these answers.

Pads (elbow, knee and a FOX Baseframe Pro Short Sleeve [Baseframe is ONLY at DH parks] are only when I am park riding....DH or freeride park places or trail-riding where it mainly faster downhill runs)....not on everyday local trail rides, usually.

Full-face and goggles only on dedicated DH days, usually. Half shell POC or Fox Speedframe Pro on normal days (depend mainly on the day's temp).

Chains....yes I would stick with the specified brand (although, I have, in a pinch switched with varying results).

Last edited:

I found over the years that if I pad up too much, it seems to limit my movement and I crash more. With that disclaimer I have a sliding scale of pads to gnar.

• Normal trail riding: just gloves and a half lid
  • gnarly trail riding: add knee pads
  • gnar but using shuttles, ski lifts, road gaps, or DH races: full face helmet
  • Lots of rocks or very high speeds with my gnar: TLD vest style chest protector under my jersey, maaaybe some foam hip protector inserts if my pants or shorts support them and I actually remember to find them in the garage.

I gave up on elbow pads and neck protectors.

Knee pads for sure after this weekend elbow pads as well.
I wear a full face when I do shuttle runs, or bike park shit and wear a 3/4 shell the rest of the time

Attachments

• IMG_8943.jpeg
    IMG_8943.jpeg
    914.9 KB · Views: 2
Knee pads for sure after this weekend elbow pads as well.
I wear a full face when I do shuttle runs, or bike park shit and wear a 3/4 shell the rest of the time
If I'm racing DH, I also love wearing moto pants. They're the best to crash in, and they stop the knee pads from moving around too much when you hit the deck.

I wear knee pads 100% of the time. Some are pretty thin like the TLD speed sleeve or the Rapha pad. We have sharp rocks in Colorado and knee pads don't bother me too much. I've never worn elbow pads, but i've been considering it more each time i see someone with a shredded elbow.
full face only when in the park or doing an eduro. you can always look into the TLD stage helmet or the like which is built like a half shell but adds a chin bar.

I have been spending money like there is no tomorrow... 3 bikes, pedals, seats, grips, shoes, bibs, shorts, jerseys, gloves, helmets, maintenance stand, wall mounts, rack, I don't even want to know what this month cost.

Went to the first NICA meetup, can any of you fellas give me any advice about what tools and gear to get to help out during practices and at the races? Is there a complete quality tool set that is a no brainer? Or piece it together?

Needed spare parts? Bike shop looked at me funny when I askled about a spare tire and tube.

I rode yesterday with a small backpack and camelbak and my teen drank all their water, my water, and ate everything I happened to bring so that tells me to carry those in abundance.

Any tips? I am watching videos about washing, adjusting, maintaining etc I have never touched a bike :homer:
I've sort of pieced together my tool kit and figured out over time what I might need at a race.

My race setup for the pits is usually:

• Nice metric hex key set that goes from 1.5mm - at least 10 mm
  • Tire levers - pedros for life
  • Philips screw driver
  • Floor pump - specialized air tool seems to have the most accurate gauge of any bike pump I've ever used.
  • Chain lube and rag - I'm partial to boeshield t-9, but the wetness/dryness of your trails may dictate otherwise.
  • A chain breaker
  • Quick link or two for the chain I'm running
  • Tube of marine grease
  • Tube of buzzy's slick honey for sticky forks/shocks/dropper posts
  • Tire plugs and some sealant if you're tubeless
  • Those little stick on patches and spare tubes if you're not tubeless
  • An adjustable wrench
  • Needle nose pliers
  • A couple cable terminators (like so)
  • Spare derailleur cable
  • Zip ties (small and large)
  • A torx T-25 bit or screw driver or something for rotor bolts
  • If I've recently swapped out a part like a bottom bracket/cassette/whatever that takes a special tool, I'll bring that along for the first time in case something starts to come loose and needs to be re-torqued or I somehow screwed up the late night install in my garage the night before.
  • If you're hard core I guess you could bring bringing different tires depending on conditions or a spare wheel set if you're a wheel destroyer. I'm not that serious anymore and if a busted wheel takes me out of the race, so be it.

Out on the trail riding with kids I just make sure I've got:
  • a decent multi-tool with a 2.5 mm, 4 mm, 5 mm, chain breaker, and Philips head screw driver on it. (I've got the older version of this and it's nice and light and will get me home if something needs fixing: SUPER V)
  • Some way to get air in tires (CO2 and cracker or small bike pump)
  • Spare tube for whatever tire you're running(even if you're tubeless)
  • Some tire plugs and a way to jam them into a tire
  • Two tire levers- again pedros for life
  • a quick link for your chain
  • a few small zip ties
  • If I'm with little kids, lots of snacks. If I'm trying to travel light- see below.
  • Lots of water(but I also make the kiddos haul their own water).
  • Gummy bears for when people get cranky or bonk. -Trust me on this one, just pop one or two in their mouth (depending on size) and you get another free 30 minutes of good mood to get you back to the car.
  • I also bring a TowWhee, but that's because I'm riding with a 3 and 6 year old.

For your kid out racing- they should at least have:
  • The means to fix a tire or change a tube if they get a flat far away
  • Water
  • Some emergency gummy bears/gu/gels if they start to bonk.
  • Some small-ish light multi-tool to get them out of jams.

I put on knee's if doing big trails with high chance of rock collision's (Rocky Peak or Suicide locally) and at bike parks. I add elbows for "hold er wide" parks like Summit but not Skypark. I broke my TLD half shell visor and just bought a full face to replace it. It isn't a full DH helmet so it is lighter with lots of venting and I don't have issue wearing it at all times on the E-bike.

I pretty much always wear pants and long sleeves now days as my body doesn't like brush contact. I mostly wear the stretchy pants from costco. They flex great in all the right spots and will clear my TLD knee pads too. I have a bike specific pair of pants too but I am not a fan of the overall fit.

Generally wear full riding pants and long-sleeves at the DH parks (lift/shuttle), 3/4 length (cover the knees but not calves Endura pants/capri things and long-sleeves or 3/4 sleeves at the parks I pedal up. Shorts and short-sleeves on trail rides.

I've started wearing a full face and eye protection way more after my buddy lost his eye in a crash at Snoqualmie bike park two years ago. I also finally found a full face that fits last weekend, now I just need it to go on sale somewhere!

For me the 7idp pads were the only ones I could find that fit well. They're actually pretty easy to ride in and I don't know why I don't wear them more.

Tools, etc.:

Pit area stuff:
• Foldable bike work stand
• Few 29 and 27.5 tubes (and Pedro tire levers)
• Floor pump
• Floor suspension pump
• Cassette tool and chain whip
• BB tool
• Full Allen wrench set
• Torx set
• Adjustable wrench
• Cable and housing cutters and endocarps (never needed any of that)
• Backup Shimano (MTX, really) pads for our 4-pot Shimano brakes
• Rotor straightening tool

In my riding pack:
• Chain quicklinks
• Pretty elaborate multi-tool w/ chain-breaker
• Zipties
• Spare derailleur hangers
• Small handpump (can switch between suspension and tires)
• CO2 setup
• Tire plug kit
• Tire levers
• EDIT....and a small spoke wrench.

On the bike:
• 27.5 tube (which I can stretch out to work on a 29 if needed)

Last edited:
Oh, and like others have said goggles at the park mostly due to dust and glasses on normal rides. I like the Smith stuff. Their chromo pop goggle lenses are better than reality and are depressing to take off. I broke an arm on my Ruckus glasses (fully my fault) and they warranted them with very little trouble. I got the same style with Photochromic lenses. They also come with a rose lens too. I didn't pay anywhere near full price on the first pair so even better.

I broke an arm on my Ruckus glasses (fully my fault) and they warranted them with very little trouble.
Smith's replacement program is amazing. I bought a set of smiths probably about 20 years ago, and have just been warranty-ing them any time they break. If they no longer make or stock the model you had, they'll just credit you whatever MSRP was on that model and you can use that on any of their new glasses. They'll also let you upgrade- so if you warranty a pair that was $100 and you want to replace with $150 glasses, I've had success with just emailing whoever was handling my warranty and paying the $50 difference for the better glasses.

Just make sure if something happens, you're able to save enough of the glasses so they know you're not scamming them and you're good.

10 points to Crank Bros too if we're talking warrantee. I bought a Sterling pump used when I started riding, so 8? years ago. It finally stopped making pressure, something failed inside probably a gasket

couldn't figure out how to get it fully apart, sent them a message asking for a how-to and if I could order the parts since it's definitely >5yrs which is their warrantee. They said send it in

pump just got back to me rebuilt internally. Haven't fully tested it yet but it seems back to normal. Cost me $6 to ship to them, nothing to repair. They've got a customer for the future with that move. I wouldn't have been upset if they said "sorry, can't do anything for ya"

1716319843978.png

Found some new to me trails on my local mountain and decided to ride one of them last night with one of the better riders I know and another guy who's pretty good. The trail was steeper than I remembered, by a lot. Watched the really good guy go down, oh that's not so bad. The guy that a better rider than me, hmm he's a little shaky. Then me and all of a sudden I'm in the shit and it's not going well. High sided down the trail into a tree on my leg. Fuck. Tipped over and got tangled in my bike like a child. Fuck.

Got back to the lot and figured out the trail is called Meat Sweats. :laughing:

Found some new to me trails on my local mountain and decided to ride one of them last night with one of the better riders I know and another guy who's pretty good. The trail was steeper than I remembered, by a lot. Watched the really good guy go down, oh that's not so bad. The guy that a better rider than me, hmm he's a little shaky. Then me and all of a sudden I'm in the shit and it's not going well. High sided down the trail into a tree on my leg. Fuck. Tipped over and got tangled in my bike like a child. Fuck.

Got back to the lot and figured out the trail is called Meat Sweats. :laughing:
where is this at? i wanna ride it while eating brisket?

Dug this turd out, pulled the plus tires off for a Agressor WT and a SE5 up front. Some fresh tape, orange seal and quick tune up and some fresh Diety Knuckledusters I had kicking around.

I'm not sure the last time I rode, like really rode. I've been on the trainer but that doesn't really count to me. It's probably been well over 2 years now. I hit some winding woods rail trail to some stuff I knew about. Rode 2.5 miles there, 3.5 miles of single track and 2.5 miles back. I didn't want to over do it. The feeling of descending and railing turns certainly has not changed though.

I feel fantastic! When I shattered my tibia plateau in January of 22 I never knew how it would play out. I was told I'd need a TKR in the next couple years from the start. I tried to ride so much since then and was in pain every time even just floating around the pumo track.. I had all my hardware removed March 19th trying to get my life back. For the first time in a long time I feel normal again.

20240526_172107.jpg

Got this Marin Rift Zone 2 in December for a good deal and have ridden dirt roads with it. But finally got the 8 year old on a short mild trail and we had a blast.
IMG_2040.jpeg

Top Back Refresh