What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

it's way bigger and steeper than the videos make it look. I can tell, because everyone kept falling on their asses:laughing:

it's way bigger and steeper than the videos make it look. I can tell, because everyone kept falling on their asses
In the guinea pig run-ins, they had to keep reminding themselves to give a little brake tap when they landed on the ramp. It's gotta be pretty damn steep to have dudes tapping their brakes before then roll into a 75' gap of doom.

Speaking of “mountain bikes”. Back in 2011 time frame I bought a mongoose 2.1 ledgen from Walmart because I wanted a bike to ride to get some cardio and lose weight. I didn’t want the road “ram” handle bars and wanted more than 3 speeds.

Back in October, on my ride home (I mostly ride side streets or wide walking trials) and as I’m pedaling, my left side pedal seemed wanky. I look down and the arm is almost off the bolt. I get home and lost the nut. Rubber mallet plus a few taps and it’s back on. Figure out the size of the nut and order two. Put one on and all is well.

Until I go out again. Lost that nut. WTH. Well I used nut #2 and installed. Stopped riding because I was lazy, until this am.

Went out and immediately got that unloving feeling. Sure enough. I used a 15mm wrench to hold the arm in place and a 3/8 15mm socket/ratchet to tighten down. Twice it came loose. Used a 1/2 ratchet and it lasted a few street crossings. Limped it back. Said screw it. Got my 1/2 “you’re going to stay on” impact gun, added a dab of blue lock tight and rattled it down for a bit.

No issues after that. Enjoyed my 5.6 mile ride in the urban jungle. Always start up hill to get my heart rate up (I had heart surgery as a kid and had a valve replacement in nov 2021). I know I walk a lot at work but was pleasantly surprised I wasn’t completely winded by the top of the hill. :lmao:

Apologies for a winded post and I don’t get to do the cool stuff you other guys do, but at least I’m moving and shaking 😆

Looks like dad is going to ride the e-bike. I may not have to worry too much about sandbagging after all :laughing:

Change of plans. 34/18 for 29ers and sliding dropouts FTW.
IMG_20240513_175634_6.jpg

:beer:

This went well. Rode the first flat-ish part with dad, had a quick brunch at home, and on the hilly half I rode my own pace. I think I only got passed once or twice on the climbs :laughing:
On the finish line I had built a 45 min gap on dad. Riding together wouldn't have worked anyway, with me having to fly up the hills on the singlespeed. This was actually good fun smoking the roadies on the ups and downs :grinpimp:

Capture99.PNG

Awsome!!!

Details on the race?
18 and under 4 stage race up in Whiskeytown, Ca.
10 and under category only race 3 of the 4 stages and are required to have a chaperone, and get to shuttle the first ~3 miles up to stage one.

Climb to stage 1 was still pretty brutal. I think we climbed 1,200 feet in about 2.5 miles, and some sections were tech and steep. There was one narrow/steep/tech part that had me hating that the organizers for sending all of the 10 and under kids up it. If one had shown up right then, I might have punched one of them in the mouth if I had somewhere to put down both my bike and my kids bike and actually get my hands free, which probably would not have happened. I brought a crap load of water, a tow strap, some snacks, and gummy bears, and it worked out.

Buuuuut, other than that chitty climb, the trails were fun and a perfect length for kids to race. The event had zero timing glitches and nice chip system to track racers, tons of involvement from the local community and emergency responders, friendly staff, good food at the end, and rad podium location so everyone could jump in the whiskeytown lake while we waited for podium announcements.

Overall, I would probably go back next year if my kid is still into it.

Anybody ever get a top 10 on a Strava segment? This was a surprise yesterday. I think I could have been faster but I went slower at the beginning looking out for poison oak.
1000001100.png

Anybody ever get a top 10 on a Strava segment? This was a surprise yesterday. I think I could have been faster but I went slower at the beginning looking out for poison oak.
Nice job! Is that the chicken box trail in Santa Cruz off of mailbox?

I've had a few in my area when I was younger. Now there are some pretty fast kids around here who bend instead of break when they hit the ground, and I have no chance at cracking into the top 10 these days.

I also have no chance at ever getting one on a climbing segment because I hate being in the pain cave.

1000001100.png
I e cracked the top 30 before, but only on trails no one rides! :flipoff2:

1000016097.jpg

Birthday week up in Idyllwild. My goal is to get my age in miles for the week (52). I did 13.5 on top of this but it was Friday and Sunday before the true week. And did a 25 mile mostly fire road loop on the 85 XR350 one of the days.
Did a trail in Greer Ranch on day and Skypark Saturday. Definitely need to go back to Greer Ranch and get a better idea of the trails.
Idyllwild trails are always fun.

1000016097.jpg

Birthday week up in Idyllwild. My goal is to get my age in miles for the week (52). I did 13.5 on top of this but it was Friday and Sunday before the true week. And did a 25 mile mostly fire road loop on the 85 XR350 one of the days.
Did a trail in Greer Ranch on day and Skypark Saturday. Definitely need to go back to Greer Ranch and get a better idea of the trails.
Idyllwild trails are always fun.
User name and info provided in this post illustrate a severe incongruence in the universe. :flipoff2:

I
User name and info provided in this post illustrate a severe incongruence in the universe. :flipoff2:
The full user name is Endless Trails to Explore. And they are out there even if life is getting in the way of exploring them. :flipoff2: In that dead spot on Strava i did do a 250 miles of dirt Death Valley trip. That trip took some prep which keep me from having time on a bike.

I have two local KOMs and am still holding a good amount of top tens. I used to be way more aggressive on repeat riding a trail until I had it dialed trying to knock off time every day until I hit my wall. I only have one trail I am constant on now as it is on the way to my build.

1000007657.jpg

I only manage on the longer segments. I'm not sendy enough to get any downhill only ones.

The short one is a roadie segment a street over from my house that someone who lives nearby has created just so he can have a KOM. It has less than 20 riders on the list. When I'm feeling good I go and lap it to get the KOM and within days the creater has taken the crown back

Called it with my Marzocchi NCR350 Sunday. It's had a rough life and I'm not sure I could get rebuild parts if I wanted to. Poked around a bit and well, it was hard to pass up a new 2023 Fox Factory 36 with a Grip2 and K-bolt shipped for under $500. I've had 36s on everything else for years so it wasn't a hard call.

Not sure if the Primal is gonna care about going to a longer fork but I measured my 36 on my Slash and the A2C is only 12mm longer on that 36.

were .00013 away from the wettest may on record. rain tomorrow and over the coming weekend. so I haven't got to ride too much which is pissing me off. first year I haven't had to work a ton of hours and I still cant fucking ride. so I bought a giant revolt gravel bike and clip less pedals/shoes. it'll be the taco ride and rainy day ride.

also got the boy a new trek marlin 6 yesterday. Treks are 25% off if you’re in the Nica league so can’t beat it. he's stoked for the nica race season to start now.

anyone recommend an external dropper for the trek?

Also. The one up rack is way bouncy for how much they cost. Hasn’t fallen apart yet though.
IMG_0431.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine's solid as I can expect having it on a 1 1/4-2" adapter. Is it the rack or the hitch? Mine's only a single tho..

starting mixing running in after work with my not-enough-riding. hoping that helps with my legs getting gassed towards the end of the rides. we'll see

were .00013 away from the wettest may on record. rain tomorrow and over the coming weekend. so I haven't got to ride too much which is pissing me off. first year I haven't had to work a ton of hours and I still cant fucking ride. so I bought a giant revolt gravel bike and clip less pedals/shoes. it'll be the taco ride and rainy day ride.

also got the boy a new trek marlin 6 yesterday. Treks are 25% off if you’re in the Nica league so can’t beat it. he's stoked for the nica race season to start now.

anyone recommend an external dropper for the trek?

Also. The one up rack is way bouncy for how much they cost. Hasn’t fallen apart yet though.
IMG_0431.jpeg
PNW makes one

Ayup. Bunch of my buddies have them everywhere from singles to quads and bikes move around on them waaay more than I'm comfortable with. People love em, but I've still got a thule T2 from 2004 that's going strong.

And....regarding the rack, I have the same 1UP, and had a lot of movement. Until I added a hitch stabilizer, and it solidified everything:

shopping.jpeg
IMG_4613 2-2.jpg

And....regarding the rack, I have the same 1UP, and had a lot of movement. Until I added a hitch stabilizer, and it solidified everything:

shopping.jpeg
IMG_4613 2-2.jpg
i forgot to mention that. I've got a bolt welded to the hitch to tighten down the 1 1/4" connection point. then the 1-up internal both thing tightens up the 2" connection point.

I guess going from a roof rack mounted to a HF cargo carrier, anything is gonna look more solid:homer:

Top Back Refresh