What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

Any recommendations on some faster rolling tires for summer? Currently on Conti Argotal DH casing super soft compound and they have outstanding traction, but don't roll fast by any means.
If you're riding nothing but aggressive steep stuff- Minion DH-Rs front and rear. Or DH-F Front, DH-R rear.

Not as aggressive: DH-F or DH-R front, Maxxis aggressor rear.

So it’s a gas mileage thread now?

CB8E1C9D-409F-4D95-85EA-C754AEC0E213.gif

:flipoff2:

I don't know what he's doing with the info, but back when I raced DH, I definitely swapped tires depending on the course to pick up some free speed in the form of rolling fast when I could. A fast rolling rear tire makes a huge difference.

if you can fit a 2.8, I really liked this tired on the front of my previous ride. I actually have a 27.5 on the shelf I need to sell since I'm 29's now.

the front never felt loose in Northeast singletrack, including a couple lift serve days. I'd say I'm a moderate rider skill wise, losing 15lbs and eating healthier would probably level me up some but I like food :emb:

1715022227173.png

I don't know what he's doing with the info, but back when I raced DH, I definitely swapped tires depending on the course to pick up some free speed in the form of rolling fast when I could. A fast rolling rear tire makes a huge difference.
:laughing::flipoff2:

C08CB59F-78EA-456B-8260-0997C0D889B1.jpeg

I run an ikon and recon race when I want to go fast. They do fine in northwest Arkansas if I don’t feel like putting the dhf/dhr back on, you just have to accept a little drift action sometimes.

:laughing::flipoff2:

C08CB59F-78EA-456B-8260-0997C0D889B1.jpeg

I run an ikon and recon race when I want to go fast. They do fine in northwest Arkansas if I don’t feel like putting the dhf/dhr back on, you just have to accept a little drift action sometimes.
Same can be said for non-ebikes.

I'm definitely gonna be able to bust out farther and faster XC rides on a fast rolling tire than if I tired to head out on a gnarly DH compound loam spike. Caring about fast rolling tires isn't ebike specific (in fact it's the bike on which I worry the least about which tire I'm running)

Any recommendations on some faster rolling tires for summer? Currently on Conti Argotal DH casing super soft compound and they have outstanding traction, but don't roll fast by any means.

Direct effect on range, I can get +50% more range on the Aspens I use for gravel riding than the DH tires. But those Aspens are terrifying if you actually try to ride a real trail. Summer time rides are typically longer, especially weekends and I have a couple of longer rides planned already.

I also have a disability where I like beer, shitty food and being lazy more than I like fitness, health food and not drinking. :flipoff2:
embrace the sketchy and ride the aspens.

it will be faster and more entertaining. probably help the skills too.

embrace the sketchy and ride the aspens.

it will be faster and more entertaining. probably help the skills too.

200.gif

You're more than welcome to come take a rip on them sometime and see for yourself :flipoff2:

Two of my friends recommended Mazzas for this and one Schwalbe Nobby Nic. I'll probably give the Mazzas a try if I can find a deal on them.

Thanks for the help fellas, we picked up this barely ridden Gen 6 9.8 XT off the local classifieds for what I think is a great price. My daughter is in love and we are looking forward to seeing her take this challenge on.

I think the bike is just wicked and I am a big fan of carbon fiber, I cant believe the damn wheels are carbon, so neat. :smokin:

BBBBiiikkkeee.jpg

Thanks for the help fellas, we picked up this barely ridden Gen 6 9.8 XT off the local classifieds for what I think is a great price. My daughter is in love and we are looking forward to seeing her take this challenge on.

I think the bike is just wicked and I am a big fan of carbon fiber, I cant believe the damn wheels are carbon, so neat. :smokin:

BBBBiiikkkeee.jpg
Sick! Also, subtle...:flipoff2::smokin:

48/22 works like a champ. One dropped chain and one walk of shame on a 14% climb made things interesting. :grinpimp:

Here is my bling "gravel bike". I guess I'm super fancy now. :flipoff2:
Change of plans. 34/18 for 29ers and sliding dropouts FTW.
I came across an interesting second hand frame and couldn't resist...
'22 kona unit x frame + parts from my stash :grinpimp:
IMG_20240513_175634_6.jpg

:beer:

Change of plans. 34/18 for 29ers and sliding dropouts FTW.
I came across an interesting second hand frame and couldn't resist...
'22 kona unit x frame + parts from my stash :grinpimp:
IMG_20240513_175634_6.jpg

:beer:
Hmmm, could probably use a couple more accessory mounts... :flipoff2:

Hmmm, could probably use a couple more accessory mounts... :flipoff2:
I have plenty of cable mounts to spare that I could repurpose :laughing:

Looking for a shimano 4 piston brake set as we speak. After being spoiled with 4-pots for years, going back to 2 piston is kinda underwhelming.

Fuck that's a great price. Thanks for the tip.
Although I still prefer the 1-finger levers, and the stumpy already has 6120s... so that's what I just bought :grinpimp:

Anyone ride an e-bikes?

I am seriously considering a trek rail 9.8:

Thinking I can follow the nica kids when needed, ride the shoreline trail, canyons (I'm right by Sundance), 200 miles from slick rock

Super ghey? Rail over a Fuel? Seems the extra travel would be more forgiving and I really like the drive system in the rail. Rode them both in the parking lot.

I mean end of life all carbon parts are landfill. Metal frames (steel, aluminium) are scrapped and recycled.
Carbon can't go anywhere but landfill.

I’m sorry (not really), but not buying something with a useful lifespan of 10-20 years (that is already green by default vs motorized recreation/transportation) because it can’t be recycled vs something else that can (via 100x the energy it will be worth as flat bar) is AOC logic.

Meanwhile, 2/3 of the world are burning their trash daily and most of the remaining 1/3 is clear cutting thousands of acres every day for new subdivisions.

I’m not going to search the South Park San Francisco fart smeller episode to link it, but it’s basically the same thing.

Last edited:
Anyone ride an e-bikes?

I am seriously considering a trek rail 9.8:

Thinking I can follow the nica kids when needed, ride the shoreline trail, canyons (I'm right by Sundance), 200 miles from slick rock

Super ghey? Rail over a Fuel? Seems the extra travel would be more forgiving and I really like the drive system in the rail. Rode them both in the parking lot.
Buy it and use the hate from the anti eebers to fuel your fun! :flipoff2:

stumpy has been a great bike, but the E bike Im looking at is a transition repeater. my knees are not in the best shape and being able to ride for hours is spurring my decision.

also since it wont stop raining I'm toying with the idea of getting a gravel bike. giant revolt 2 is on the cheaper end, alloy rather than carbon. but the drivetrain looks solid.

When I wanted less rolling resistance I went from Assagi/DHR to Agressor/Disector. Still feel like I'm on tractor tyres when surrounded by people on Aspens and XR3 etc

stumpy has been a great bike, but the E bike Im looking at is a transition repeater. my knees are not in the best shape and being able to ride for hours is spurring my decision.

also since it wont stop raining I'm toying with the idea of getting a gravel bike. giant revolt 2 is on the cheaper end, alloy rather than carbon. but the drivetrain looks solid.

No complaints at all with my Repeater. I swapped the air shock for a Cane Creek Kitsuma coil shock and it’s awesome. Just blasts through everything that I’ve hit.

IMG_6735.jpeg

Rail over a Fuel?
If I had to choose, I'd pick the Rail. Fuel is cool and all, but those super light ebikes are struggling to find their place. Everyone with a smaller motor/battery combo either has range anxiety or has to be ridiculously fit to hang with the bigger batteries and motors on an ebike group ride.

Meanwhile, all the super fit guys who could make them work mostly look down their nose at anything with a motor.

If I was riding mostly solo or with other small motor ebikes, I might pick the fuel because it is cool and stealth. Id probably also end up paying extra for a bunch of range extenders to make up for the smaller battery capacity.

Top Back Refresh