What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

Ha! My wife help coach the women's side for a few years. There are all sorts of crazy league rules they have to follow, like no drifting or wheelies I think. She may have looked the other way on a few of those during group rides.
I was a NICA coach in 2020 and then our season was cut short with Covid. We were a non competitive team just trying to get kids riding. We would tell the kids to "try" and follow the rules on official rides. But we also took the kids to Sky Park and would do un-official rides on some of the more rowdy trails with the better kids.

I was a NICA coach in 2020 and then our season was cut short with Covid. We were a non competitive team just trying to get kids riding. We would tell the kids to "try" and follow the rules on official rides. But we also took the kids to Sky Park and would do un-official rides on some of the more rowdy trails with the better kids.
Hell yeah. I'm all about teaching bike handling skills and letting someone else drill fitness and conditioning into their heads.

NICA, that is the team she is signed up for

Top Fuel 8 (this is the bike we spent the most time with): Trek Top Fuel 8

I did notice the top fuel in carbon was lighter, but not light like the hard tail in carbon.

We are not hung up on trek or giant.

Does giant make trek and specialized? Claimed they did at the store.
That's pretty nice, but might be worthwhile looking at a carbon frame with cheaper parts.

Once you're into Shimano Deore, SLX, XT, XTR or SRAM GX, xo, xx level.components the difference is mainly less weight as you spend money. With the exception being XO chains and cassettes, they actually last longer than lower levels because of the coatings used on them.

Where brands save money on a bike is wheels, brakes and suspension pretty much in that order. So you want the best frame and suspension to start and then upgrade everything else as I breaks, because it's going to break at some point. :flipoff2:

Does giant make trek and specialized? Claimed they did at the store.
Giant is owned by Merida Bikes. Merida does a ton of frame manufacturing for many other brands. Just the mfg tho, they don't design them, just get paid to build them in their factories. So it's technically true, but only as far as hydroforming and welding the tubes to whatever spesh or trek spec'd

Last edited:
I agree with the carbon frame, for goofing around and not trying to race... weight is important but not the most important thing. I like the sram 12 speed stuff because it is all interchangeable. That helps when needing to fix something fast. Wheels and hubs are important, to me good tires are more important.

I had to go look, My son is on a 9.8 top fuel. It is carbon but not the top of the line. It weighs about 2-3 pounds more than my spot ryve. the weight is not as noticeable when compared to tire choice. I run lower rolling resistance tires compared to what I put on his bike (his style of line picking is more like a bulldozer, so continental's with cush core for the rear). For races I swap his tires out for faster tires. It is amazing how much tires can change a bike. With the same tires the weight difference between the bikes is not noticeable at all. In comparison to the 35 lb marin he was on, well... a 5-7 pound drop is big for a younger rider trying to ride xc.

For races I swap his tires out for faster tires. It is amazing how much tires can change a bike. With the same tires the weight difference between the bikes is not noticeable at all
Fast tires and a smoothly working/freshly lubed drivetrain make all the difference in the world.

Giant is owned by Merida Bikes. Merida does a ton of frame manufacturing for many other brands. Just the mfg tho, they don't design them, just get paid to build them in their factories. So it's technically true, but only as far as hydroforming and welding the tubes to whatever spesh or trek spec'd
Merida doesn't own Giant. Merida owns Specialized.

Giant is the largest frame manufacturer in the world. Giant makes frames for a ton of companies. Merida is the second largest frame manufacturer in the world.

There are also many assembly factories where a brand will have their frame sent, as well as the components to have the bike assembled. So a ton of bike brands don't actually manufacture or assemble anything.

Went to a rad bikeshop/taphouse up in Santa Rosa that I haven't been to before. They had some old school bikes that took me waay back.

Back when the San Andreas was one of the most badass bikes you could get

1714402425383.png

Manitou full suspension
1714402479410.png

Back when Ibis was weird
1714402532724.png

The M1 was the king of the DH track back in its day
1714402579811.png

I didn't snap a pic, but the also had a Klein Attitude with the OG rockshox RS1 on it (not to be confused with the inverted XC version that came out waay later).
Holy shit.

I remember those days (reading Mountain Bike Action) and seeing those bikes.

I also remember the Klein Mantra (or Mantis) with Spinergys.

Just bought the kids some dirty chinese garbage bikes (don't say it, I know) and I dug through the garage to get out my old ones. Gonna need some advice on how to get them back on the road.

Giant is the largest frame manufacturer in the world. Giant makes frames for a ton of companies. Merida is the second largest frame manufacturer in the world.
Ah, I must have gotten confused, I could have sworn Merida and Giant somehow controlled by one company and made most of the other frames

Ok.

Took some pictures. This is an old bike I have from when Ford had a promo where you could option a mountain bike with a ford ranger.

The rear hub locked up and the cassette won't rotate. I bought a new wheel (years and years ago). Not sure if it was ever installed.

The 7 speed cassette fits on the new wheel, but there's space (doesn't tighten when the lockring is installed). Do I need to buy a spacer, or do I need to order another wheel?

I'm also missing a rear skewer. Are they all the same? If not how do I order--just measure the length?

The mavic X138 is the original wheel, the other one is the new one I bought years ago.

P5013745.JPG
P5013746.JPG
P5013747.JPG
P5013748.JPG
P5013749.JPG
P5013750.JPG
P5013751.JPG
P5013752.JPG
P5013755.JPG
P5013756.JPG

I fucking hate it.

It feels huge. Like I am a midget driving a flintstone mobile.

this is a 20 second test ride on the street :homer:

well, it pedals really easy uphill, but we havent been on the trail yet.

Ah, I must have gotten confused, I could have sworn Merida and Giant somehow controlled by one company and made most of the other frames
I think the OurBMX podcast with Chris Moeller (S&M / Fit) went in to the founding of Giant. If I remember right it was the company Schwinn went to when they went to overseas manufacturing. When Schwinn went under the manufacture formed their own bike brand (Giant). The podcasts with Chris are real cool because he goes deep into the history of a bunch of companies. Mostly BMX related. The Magoo episode has a bunch of great history as well.

Ok.

Took some pictures. This is an old bike I have from when Ford had a promo where you could option a mountain bike with a ford ranger.

The rear hub locked up and the cassette won't rotate. I bought a new wheel (years and years ago). Not sure if it was ever installed.

The 7 speed cassette fits on the new wheel, but there's space (doesn't tighten when the lockring is installed). Do I need to buy a spacer, or do I need to order another wheel?

I'm also missing a rear skewer. Are they all the same? If not how do I order--just measure the length?

The mavic X138 is the original wheel, the other one is the new one I bought years ago.

P5013745.JPG
P5013746.JPG
P5013747.JPG
P5013748.JPG
P5013749.JPG
P5013750.JPG
P5013751.JPG
P5013752.JPG
P5013755.JPG
P5013756.JPG
Hang that up in the shop as art and buy yourself a new bike. :flipoff2:

you were right in that Giant and Merida manufacture most of the frames out there.

cool little tidbit.

Giant has multiple arms. There's Giant the bike brand. Giant the manufacturing company and Giant the mining company. Giant mines most of the raw material to build the frames. Giant controls almost every stem up until the components get hung on the bike.

We added a bonus section to our ride yesterday, I've done it once before and didn't remember which way was better. It's much better the right way.
Luckily everyone I was riding with has pretty good attitudes. :laughing:

1000004646.png

There's a HT version that got 2 world champ titles with Pauline

Its cheaper as well :grinpimp:

Came across my feed this morning....glad it's the kid and not me riding in this 2-day Enduro race this weekend. What a complete sloppy mess that will be.

WCU_Race.jpg

Came across my feed this morning....glad it's the kid and not me riding in this 2-day Enduro race this weekend. What a complete sloppy mess that will be.

WCU_Race.jpg
Ha, yes! I used to love racing in the slop. Can't take it too seriously, and chaos on the DH.

For some things. There are a lot of people on carbon frames who are doing just fine, myself included. I’d buy another carbon frame without thinking twice.

I mean end of life all carbon parts are landfill. Metal frames (steel, aluminium) are scrapped and recycled.
Carbon can't go anywhere but landfill.

Sooo...
73yo dad was looking at doing some famous century group ride to the coast in the beginning of june. As it happened I got signed up for it as well.:homer:
Its a road ride with a couple hills thrown in (about 4500ft elevation gain total) and a good chance for a lot of headwind.
I'm going to send it on the single-speed rockrider 26er with the following mods :
gravel tires
44x20 gearing
What could go wrong ?
Looks like dad is going to ride the e-bike. I may not have to worry too much about sandbagging after all :laughing:
Did a 100k / 1000m elevation prerunning / test ride this morning.
48/22 works like a champ. One dropped chain and one walk of shame on a 14% climb made things interesting. :grinpimp:
050524.PNG

Here is my bling "gravel bike". I guess I'm super fancy now. :flipoff2:
IMG_20240505_163544_2.jpg

Terrain is getting a bit drier at last, BTW :)
As a matter of fact, I may have just jinxed myself. :doh:
IMG_20240427_111205_8.jpg

IMG_20240505_170115_8.jpg

:beer:

Last edited:
Any recommendations on some faster rolling tires for summer? Currently on Conti Argotal DH casing super soft compound and they have outstanding traction, but don't roll fast by any means.

you got a motor, why does it matter?
Direct effect on range, I can get +50% more range on the Aspens I use for gravel riding than the DH tires. But those Aspens are terrifying if you actually try to ride a real trail. Summer time rides are typically longer, especially weekends and I have a couple of longer rides planned already.

I also have a disability where I like beer, shitty food and being lazy more than I like fitness, health food and not drinking. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh