What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

Because this is what comes to mind. MX or motos never went larger in size, so WTF with bikes? I think its gay and I hate it. I know, easier, but I didnt think the trend would take off. Kind of the same way I think Ebikes are lame (unless maybe youre old), but they really took off too even for kids.

Hell I used to have a 26/24" mullet DH back in the day.

But it seems I dont have many options.
MX and moto have always been mullet :flipoff2: 21 front 18 or 19 rear. :stirthepot:

Comparing tire and wheels sizes between motos and mountain bikes doesn't make any sense. Two different applications with very different priorities.

Went to a rad bikeshop/taphouse up in Santa Rosa that I haven't been to before. They had some old school bikes that took me waay back.

Back when the San Andreas was one of the most badass bikes you could get

1714402425383.png

Manitou full suspension
1714402479410.png

Back when Ibis was weird
1714402532724.png

The M1 was the king of the DH track back in its day
1714402579811.png

I didn't snap a pic, but the also had a Klein Attitude with the OG rockshox RS1 on it (not to be confused with the inverted XC version that came out waay later).

the rocky mountains arrived today, that was fucking fast.

now I want to bail out of work and out them together

the medium is a 27.5 and large is 29, apparently

the medium is a 27.5 and large is 29, apparently
Strange that it doesn't say that anywhere on jenson's site, or did I miss it?

I'm guessing the large is for you, ya? I think you're going to like 29" wheels more than you thought after a ride or two. You carry way more speed, especially when it's rough.

Strange that it doesn't say that anywhere on jenson's site, or did I miss it?

its right there

The Altitude features a wheel size split on the medium frame with the small and medium frames coming with 27.5” wheels and medium and up frames coming with 29” wheels.

yes large ia foe me, i am 6', hope its not too big

The Altitude features a wheel size split on the medium frame with the small and medium frames coming with 27.5” wheels and medium and up frames coming with 29” wheels.
Wat? So you're sure the medium comes with 27.5? Almost looks like it says medium comes with either one.

That's the whole idea. I want laps on laps on laps. Gimme 4k of climbing but make my legs feel like I did 2k and I'm happy, cause I aint ever gonna have enough time with two little kids and a job to ride enough to casually bust out 4k of climbing in ride right now. I know because I used to do that.

I fucking hate it.

It feels huge. Like I am a midget driving a flintstone mobile.

this is a 20 second test ride on the street :homer:

Anyone help me not waste money?

My daughter is joining the school team and it is being described as cross country mountain biking. The practices would be more rugged terrain, the races are almost groomed trails, lots of kids (fastest kids) on hard tails.

The only thing I know about bikes is they fall over if you stop peddling them.

We just went to Giant and Trek. Trek had her on a small men's frame, with 29" tires said it fit perfect. Giant said she needs a woman's bike and her on a a small ladies with 27.5's and then a men's small with 29" tires.

My daughter is 5'1, I doubt she be more than 5'6.

Are 29" tires too big? Why did my daugter like the feel of the men's frame over the "Liv" branded ladies?

I fucking hate it.

It feels huge. Like I am a midget driving a flintstone mobile.

this is a 20 second test ride on the street :homer:
Give it time. I went from a 26 to 29 on both my newer rides. And I am shorter than you. And it was similar to me at first. I won’t go back to even 27.5 now.

at 6' its not too big for you.

I am 6'1" and I ride an XL. I am on the border of the two sizes and I prefer the larger frame.

and yes, it should feel huge. that was my first impression going from an old 26" to a modern 29" too.

longer wheelbase, bigger wheels, wider handlebar. all make everything better in the woods.

Top Back Refresh