What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

x2...also...budget range?

budget 1500-2000, riding in SoCal, no full on DH stuff, but I like 140mm+ bikes so no XC stuff

Prefer alum because I just feel more comfortable with it but like i mentioned seems impossible to find local. I prefer not to buy a used bike online.

Stumpy Evo or Trek Fuel ?

budget 1500-2000, riding in SoCal, no full on DH stuff, but I like 140mm+ bikes so no XC stuff

Prefer alum because I just feel more comfortable with it but like i mentioned seems impossible to find local. I prefer not to buy a used bike online.

Stumpy EVO would be a good choice.

I would also (if you can find one) look at the Specialize Status 140 (or 160 if you want a little more travel). My son and I are Specialized guys....so that's what we gravitate towards.

EDIT: New Stumpy EVO Alloy full builds will be around the $3500.00 price tag, currently.

EDIT 2: Some Stumpys:

Stumpys on Sale

I also like the Norco Fluid (130mm-R, 140mm-F):

Norco Fluid

Last edited:

Are you looking to go used or new? With your preference for 27.5 and aluminum, you could probably find some good used bikes in your price range. How tall are you?

Here's some large bikes that might meet your criteria:

2018 commencal meta am v3

2017 yt Jeffsy 27.5 L

2021 Trek Remedy 8 - Large - 27.5

2018 Commencal Meta TR

2020 Hyper 650B Trail Bike

2019 stumpjumper comp alloy 27.5

Why non 29? Mullet is the business in my opinion. best of both worlds. Front steam rolls everything and the back still tracks well and feels solid.

Any tips on nursing an Achilles back into shape? I’m trying to ride 5 min a day and I’m feeling it a little the next day, slight soreness

Couple of my ride after work yesterday. Still can’t believe how good the riding is out here

IMG_7990.jpeg

IMG_7991.jpeg

:flipoff2:

Why non 29? Mullet is the business in my opinion. best of both worlds. Front steam rolls everything and the back still tracks well and feels solid.

Because this is what comes to mind. MX or motos never went larger in size, so WTF with bikes? I think its gay and I hate it. I know, easier, but I didnt think the trend would take off. Kind of the same way I think Ebikes are lame (unless maybe youre old), but they really took off too even for kids.

Hell I used to have a 26/24" mullet DH back in the day.

But it seems I dont have many options.

Attachments

• il_1080xN.967922484_5a5d.jpg
    il_1080xN.967922484_5a5d.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 0
Are you looking to go used or new? With your preference for 27.5 and aluminum, you could probably find some good used bikes in your price range. How tall are you?

Here's some large bikes that might meet your criteria:

2018 commencal meta am v3

2017 yt Jeffsy 27.5 L

2021 Trek Remedy 8 - Large - 27.5

2018 Commencal Meta TR

2020 Hyper 650B Trail Bike

2019 stumpjumper comp alloy 27.5

thanks man! never heard of commencal, thoight it was a cheap offbrand. Didnt think YT was good eitherm That stumpjumper comp looks weird tho.

The 2018 bikes vs 2020/2021, the geometry, what is really the difderence? Little easier to pedal?

The 2018 bikes vs 2020/2021, the geometry, what is really the difderence? Little easier to pedal?
It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Its will never be "easier" to pedal Some suspensions have made it "easier" to pedal by becoming more efficient, wasting less energy.

The later geometry has increased wheelbase, lowered COG, & somewhat changed riding positions on the bike. Things have become more stable, so its now "easier" to go fast.

Because this is what comes to mind. MX or motos never went larger in size, so WTF with bikes? I think its gay and I hate it. I know, easier, but I didnt think the trend would take off. Kind of the same way I think Ebikes are lame (unless maybe youre old), but they really took off too even for kids.

Hell I used to have a 26/24" mullet DH back in the day.

But it seems I dont have many options.

I used to think this way. Hell, my '03 VPS had 24/24" on it. I rode 26" up until 2020, when they just weren't available anymore. Even 27.5 was getting pretty slim at that point.

I ended up on a '19 patrol with 27.5/27.5. I wish I'd switched sooner. That bike got me back into mountain biking, everything about it is soooo much better than the '13 meta sx I came off of. Still riding the patrol but I'm trading it in for 29" soon (probably a sentinel or spire, haven't decided yet). I still kind of have the skepticism that I did about the 27.5's but I was wrong before and I'll bet I'm wrong again.

How do Norco YT Commencal stack up? I recall Norco was an entry level brand back in the day?

Buy it! One of the guys I ride with has one and loves it. I've got the eeb version and love it!

thanks, got two for gf and I, will use card points saved up. Used market prices are kind od high compared to discounted new.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh