What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

Ardent is trash. Ardent Race is apparently better. My sister runs them on her Spark but she lives in XCninoland

Anyone ride an e-bikes?

I am seriously considering a trek rail 9.8:

Thinking I can follow the nica kids when needed, ride the shoreline trail, canyons (I'm right by Sundance), 200 miles from slick rock

Super ghey? Rail over a Fuel? Seems the extra travel would be more forgiving and I really like the drive system in the rail. Rode them both in the parking lot.
e-bikes are awesome. I always say, the only people that don't like them are the ones who haven't ridden them.

get the rail. you won't regret the larger battery.

Friend made his fiancée a custom dog-hauler/bar crawler/commuter

1715805461409.png

Well, I went from no bikes to two, and registration pending as an asst/helper coach guy on the High School bike team in about a week:

The only two bikes I have ever owned:

PXL_20240516_030442929.jpg

This may as well be a spaceship:

PXL_20240516_030517972.jpg

I reeeeeeally wanted the Treps in the classifieds :homer:

PXL_20240516_022836529.jpg

Wife wants me to go straight back and get her the same bike.

Well, I went from no bikes to two, and registration pending as an asst/helper coach guy on the High School bike team in about a week:

The only two bikes I have ever owned:

PXL_20240516_030442929.jpg

This may as well be a spaceship:

PXL_20240516_030517972.jpg

I reeeeeeally wanted the Treps in the classifieds :homer:

PXL_20240516_022836529.jpg

Wife wants me to go straight back and get her the same bike.
Trek does make a sexy looking bike :smokin:

Get the old lady a base model alloy in the same color. :laughing:

ebike? what blew up? Freehub body? Pawls?
Yes :flipoff2:

Sheared off about 15% of the ratchets and pawls were jacked. Bearings also let go about the same time. Having 2" of lateral play going down an easy trail was terrifying. This was the Pro5 Ebike version too. Previous was a Pro4 on my Knolly, same carnage but worse most of the ratchets were gone and the pawls disintegrated. Bearings were good on that one still though.

Now I'm thinking either going DT350 and keeping a solid supply of spare parts or Onyx Classic and hope I don't explode the hub shell.

Yes :flipoff2:

Sheared off about 15% of the ratchets and pawls were jacked. Bearings also let go about the same time. Having 2" of lateral play going down an easy trail was terrifying. This was the Pro5 Ebike version too. Previous was a Pro4 on my Knolly, same carnage but worse most of the ratchets were gone and the pawls disintegrated. Bearings were good on that one still though.

Now I'm thinking either going DT350 and keeping a solid supply of spare parts or Onyx Classic and hope I don't explode the hub shell.
dt swiss has worked pretty good for me. No pawls to blow up. Buuut, if you ever need to pull the hub apart, good luck. To say mine was a PITA to get apart was an understatement. The special tool had to be modified to accept ugga duggas to losen anything up.

1715896410980.png

1715896482180.png

Wait....are BMX tracks asphalt now?

Back in my day....our courses were packed dirt. Worst part of those were the gap jumps over the live T-rex/Stegosuarus pits.
Berms are asphalt now. The rest of our local track (and others I have seen) are hard packed dirt. But it's REALLY hard packed. The tires people run for BMX vs when I was a kid are nothing alike. Closer to roadie tires:

1716227486480.png

Berms are asphalt now. The rest of our local track (and others I have seen) are hard packed dirt. But it's REALLY hard packed. The tires people run for BMX vs when I was a kid are nothing alike. Closer to roadie tires:

1716227486480.png
Yeah, wow....definitely different. My tires of choice back then were snakebelly 1.75 (I think the dia., was).

Put one of the Mazzas I got on the rear today. I used a tool to get the Aspen started coming off and the Mazza on. Then I didn't need a tool and they inflated right up.
Took the eebs out on a short rip and it felt fine in the rear, I think they'll be good for the dry season. But will be a little sketchy when it's wet.

When the DH casing Contis need to go back on im taking them straight to a shop. :flipoff2:

I have been spending money like there is no tomorrow... 3 bikes, pedals, seats, grips, shoes, bibs, shorts, jerseys, gloves, helmets, maintenance stand, wall mounts, rack, I don't even want to know what this month cost.

Went to the first NICA meetup, can any of you fellas give me any advice about what tools and gear to get to help out during practices and at the races? Is there a complete quality tool set that is a no brainer? Or piece it together?

Needed spare parts? Bike shop looked at me funny when I askled about a spare tire and tube.

I rode yesterday with a small backpack and camelbak and my teen drank all their water, my water, and ate everything I happened to bring so that tells me to carry those in abundance.

Any tips? I am watching videos about washing, adjusting, maintaining etc I have never touched a bike :homer:

I rode yesterday with a small backpack and camelbak and my teen drank all their water, my water, and ate everything I happened to bring so that tells me to carry those in abundance.

next time dont give her anything shes got
to learn to plan and deal with the misery.

i used to ride with 2-3litre of water and drank most of it. then i dropped the camelback and carry a 20oz bottle. forced me to ensure i was hydrated before the ride and have something for after. 20oz is good for up to ~15miles for me.

a mulitool with a chain brake and masterlink will cover 99% of what you need to get off the trail. i have a plug kit and co2 in the event i get a flat which is rare. everything is contained on the bike.

one up edc kit

pivot co2 holder

I have been spending money like there is no tomorrow... 3 bikes, pedals, seats, grips, shoes, bibs, shorts, jerseys, gloves, helmets, maintenance stand, wall mounts, rack, I don't even want to know what this month cost.

Went to the first NICA meetup, can any of you fellas give me any advice about what tools and gear to get to help out during practices and at the races? Is there a complete quality tool set that is a no brainer? Or piece it together?

Needed spare parts? Bike shop looked at me funny when I askled about a spare tire and tube.

Any tips? I am watching videos about washing, adjusting, maintaining etc I have never touched a bike :homer:

There is a podcast called Trail EAffect that recently had the president of NICA on as a guest. It's about an hour long, I found it very informative about the organization. She actually addressed your specific question to some degree. She doesn't let any of the riders that she coaches leave without a pump, tube, water, and a jacket. I think that was her list, but give it a listen either way.

Think of it like wheeling. When you show up to a race, your equipment is expected to be dialed in but bring whatever you can trail repair just in case.

On long rides, I'm bringing, and have used:
-Multi tool with chain breaker
-Leatherman skeletool
-Master link and a small piece of chain
-Tube, pump, and CO2 inflater
-Tire levers
-Plug kit
-Zip ties
-Valve core tool
-Small bottle of stans
-Toilet paper in a ziplock
-50-80 grams of carbs per hour with electrolytes in my hydration pack. Skratch, Infinit, or homebrew
-Enough snacks to eat about every 45-60m

As far as practices, I'd just start with the basics like a good allen key kit, shock pump, tuning stand, torx kit, knipex pliers, small hammer etc and see what you need going forward. It doesn't take much to handle the basics. Bring snacks and beer if you are just looking for a good first impression :laughing:

Damn, close to $20k:flipoff2:

On bike, OneUp tool and pump, tube, tire plugs, masterlink, CO2, couple zip ties, gorilla tape.

Off bike Wera hex and torx set, baby torque wrench, Park tools cassette tool, crank, the other fucking cassette tool for the big Shimano centerlock rotor if you've got Shimano, chain whip, brake bleed kits for all the different brakes, isopropyl, acetone and a general cleaner. Chain cleaner thing, chain lube, or wax set up and two chains fur the race bike. MTX or Galfer brake pads, bigger rotors, better brakes.

Wait until you start breaking shit! :flipoff2:

1000015826.jpg

Money shift
Saw it today while redoing the shifter cable and housing. I think i know when it happened but haven't felt it on the rides. The derailer is trash too so that is a fun birthday present to me. Now I just need to locate them before heading to Idyllwild this weekend.

Well I raced my first race as an adult. Cat 3 40-49 year old at the northwest cup at Dry hill. I did ok for my first race 14 out of 21. I had a crash in practice that hurt me pretty good. Pretty sure I have some bruised ribs, a good looking swellbow :lmao: and a really sore shoulder. i was 32 seconds off the lead but over a minute faster than the slowest guy lol

Top Back Refresh