What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

Right, ransomware 😬
Yes. We're pretty hardened from outside access, but still working on beefing up our vulnerabilities on the inside of our network. Most of it is political BS where the higher-ups don't like using multi-factor authentication, or the extra effort that beefed up security on our internal network would require. Side note: if you're a decision maker at whatever organization you're at, let the IT guys lock your shit down. Hopefully for us we'll be extra hardened in 6 months to a year and a breach like this wouldn't be as scary.

Appointed government official. Imagine spending piles of money and man hours on security, only to be defeated by a phone call to someone who barely knows how to work his email but is important enough to have lots of access.
Hey, hey, hey. These people make decisions, damn it! They are IMPORTANT!

Today’s episode of “ why is my engine overheating “ aka farmer with a tube of silicone attempting to repair a coolant leak on a water pump, most of the silicone ended in the oil cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpeg
    IMG_1612.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Today’s episode of “ why is my engine overheating “ aka farmer with a tube of silicone attempting to repair a coolant leak on a water pump, most of the silicone ended in the oil cooler.
These dudes that are still using silicone :shaking:

These dudes that are still using silicone :shaking:
I just attended a meeting Monday that was a warning for the mechanics. Someone in our group put silicone on both sides of a new oil pan gasket on an 8.3 Cummins. The inside silicone worms all made it to the oil pump pickup and plugged the screen. The bosses had pictures of the inside of the pan with coiled up silicone ropes dumped out of the pickup.

there is one place it gets used, wheeled skid steer chain box covers.
Why those? Because some piece of shit engineer copy pasted it from the last model's service literature into the new model's service literature or is there an actual reason? Seems like if you're going all in on anerobic then you could use it just fine there too.

everywhere else is anerobic sealant.
I guess it'll help a little but that's still not gonna fix the problem of people who glob way too much shit on.

anaerobic doesn't stick to a plastic rear main bearing carrier on a VW 4cyl
Just when I thought the Germans couldn't get any more German. :laughing:
everything has its places
I love using RTV to bed molded rubber gaskets and O-ring into plastic manifolds and covers. Makes shit go on and off real easy the second time. :laughing:

Just when I thought the Germans couldn't get any more German. :laughing:
it's kinda funky, the sheet of teflon that the crank seal lip is is molded directly into the carrier

guess they started doing it that way when the previous ones that were glued together started falling apart (turns out glue doesn't stick to teflon whodathunk)
the slightly older ones were a normal seal pounded into an aluminum carrier, those ones tolerated anaerobic just fine

Why those? Because some piece of shit engineer copy pasted it from the last model's service literature into the new model's service literature or is there an actual reason? Seems like if you're going all in on anerobic then you could use it just fine there too.

I guess it'll help a little but that's still not gonna fix the problem of people who glob way too much shit on.

Because the covers need to come off easily with out bending them...

Anerobic doesn't solidify in oil, I don't think its possible to "over do it"

This truck "overdrive" came in the shop years ago to get PAR'ed on the truck Chassis dyno.
It was created by a dude who looked like Afroman, who had a enterage who looked like Afroman's friends :mr-t: who all piled in/out of a black Escalade.
He wanted to dyno it on the chassis dyno and get the certified data he needed to prove the fuel consumption was reduced.

1718196540653.jpeg

1718196550955.jpeg

1718196560374.jpeg

Hold on tight, I was looking for a c15 with plugged oil coolers and found these gems:stirthepot:
1718196757144.jpeg

Because the covers need to come off easily with out bending them...
So just don't be retarded?

Changing sealants isn't gonna solve your retard problem.
Anerobic doesn't solidify in oil, I don't think its possible to "over do it"
Exactly. Instead of plugging shit up that shouldn't you get the inverse problem. Someone globs shit on. It doesn't seal. It leaks, someone has to go back and fix it.

I guess that's harder to pin on the tech vs a bunch of RTV in a pickup so I can see why it's far preferable from your employer's perspective.

Ah yes, the cubicle jockey knows more than the guys that work on this equipment daily. :shaking:
Why is it that every knuckle dragging twat in your age range takes any sort of commentary by anyone who doesn't do a thing from 9-5 as some sort of roundabout attack on your competence?

You don't see the computer guys getting their panties in a knot when the hobby CNC types start giving out IT tips.

This truck "overdrive" came in the shop years ago to get PAR'ed on the truck Chassis dyno.
It was created by a dude who looked like Afroman, who had a enterage who looked like Afroman's friends :mr-t: who all piled in/out of a black Escalade.
He wanted to dyno it on the chassis dyno and get the certified data he needed to prove the fuel consumption was reduced.

1718196540653.jpeg

1718196550955.jpeg

1718196560374.jpeg
Did he explain the theory of operation on that thing? :laughing:

Edit:That's an OBS Ford transmission cooler in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited:
Why is it that every knuckle dragging twat in your age range takes any sort of commentary by anyone who doesn't do a thing from 9-5 as some sort of roundabout attack on your competence?

You don't see the computer guys getting their panties in a knot when the hobby CNC types start giving out IT tips.
says the office dweller who shops at the only steelyard with a half decent website (that really isn't half as good as most paper price sheets that the other guys print out themselves)
solely because it has an online presence

As the do all guy I get some real head scratchers, sometimes from customers but often from our own techs.
I don't mind it though, they are fun (as long as you figure it out pretty quick) and keep life exciting. :lmao:

Got this telehandler with a 3054 PerkPillar in the shop. Came in for leaking injection pump weep hole. Tech R&I'ed pump and now it runs like complete dog shit. Tech replaced pump with another new one cause it must have been bad.

Instantly I look at it and ask the guy what the fuck happened to the fuel lines? He says he doesn't know.... I say you don't know like you blacked out don't remember? You sold them to an arabian camel jockey? You used them to repair some fence at your moms?
He says he doesn't know but confirms these lines are new but they are missing all the clamps and organizers as you can see.
1718197151164.jpeg
1718197128438.jpeg

I blow it off cause this dude is ex-military and from experience these guys can cover up a fuck up like know one you have seen, it's pretty impressive.
So i figure he has definitely fucked the timing up so step one is verify timing, but it is good, zero problem with that.
Then I sort of back up and verify basic shit, air flow, supply fuel pressure etc. but it's all good.
I don't remember know why but I suspected something was going on with these fuel lines, the fact he had zero information as to why he replaced them and then B why they looked so fucked up was a obvious tattle tale. :idea:
In a stroke of genius I went and found another engine of the same flavor on the yard, closely inspected the fuel system and noticed this thing was in fact way more fucked up than I thought. He created a custom rotary fuel pump firing order
:laughing:
notice the paint pen numbers on the nuts.
1718197499984.jpeg

And the correct order...
1718197614458.jpeg

So i bought another set of fuel lines and all clamps and mounts.
1718197699649.jpeg

1718197711790.jpeg

Top Back Refresh