What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

I don't know why they ask for my opinion, and then toss it out the window. I was asked about replacing a pinion seal on a AAM 9.25 front in an 05 Dodge. I told them "do not replace the seal without replacing the crush sleeve and resetting pinion bearing preload or you'll be sorry"

I'm just the grumpy old guy in the corner, I dont know what I'm talking about.

IMG_20240620_091011782.jpg

IMG_20240620_091005414.jpg

So now they're paying me to give the customer a free rebuild. :laughing:
Dealer did that on my excursion, said they did me a favor and replaced a leaky pinion seal. I asked the same questions and was told we know better it will be fine, don't worry. 4 months later you couldn't hear the radio over the howling rear end, had to take them to court over it to get it resolved.:mad3::mad3::mad3:

It's actually designed for those kinds of moves, unlike that shit y'all were using.
Tows bars are not difficult to use your blaming equipment for someone’s stupidity. Not sure what airline you have worked for but most ramp ops manuals and airport equipment state mph limits and 30 mph is not one I’ve ever seen.

No picture because we arent allowed, but there is a newer lifted chevy 2500 diesel with handicap plates parked in our lot. How is it that you cant walk across a parking lot, but can jump into a lifted truck?
I would judge the same until a friend in his teens/low 20's had cancer and and had a huge lifted truck that he wanted as he knew his time was limited and he looked normal as he was dying. I still get mad at the morbidly obese that scooter and park and drink diet coke with their #5 #2 and whatever else they eat drink...

Sounds like a lack of talent, I've done a fuck ton of pinion seals without touching anything else with zero issues.
Also correct. You have to know how many ugga duggas to give the pinion nut without crushing the sleeve any further. I've done countless seals that way.

Except the AAM 9.25. That one gets a new crush sleeve every time, period. Idk what it is. The crush sleeve seems soft to start with, and the the pinion is so high above centerline that if it isn't just perfect, the diff eats itself.

Also correct. You have to know how many ugga duggas to give the pinion nut without crushing the sleeve any further. I've done countless seals that way.

Except the AAM 9.25. That one gets a new crush sleeve every time, period. Idk what it is. The crush sleeve seems soft to start with, and the the pinion is so high above centerline that if it isn't just perfect, the diff eats itself.

I 100% with this, at 400k miles on my truck its on the third crush sleeve in the front. The bearings just go bye-bye as soon as u touch the pinion nut.

Coworker does hydraulic cylinder seals on the side.
He redid all the seals on this backhoe and the next day the owner went to push trees over using the loader without curling the bucket on the hoe, the front end rode up, the bucket on the hoe dug in and now the owner gets to buy a new cylinder (or at least a rod and the hard-line for the rod end):
1000042132.jpg

Aaron Z

No picture because we arent allowed, but there is a newer lifted chevy 2500 diesel with handicap plates parked in our lot. How is it that you cant walk across a parking lot, but can jump into a lifted truck?
Maybe a DAV with a prosthetic arm or leg. Whats the problem?

I left a crescent wrench on my bumper on the way to Moab in 1998. It was still there at the first stop 250 miles down I-80.
I had a bud can ride on the back of my f100 for 10ish miles, back in 82.
The police office thought it was funny.
Didn't give me a ticket, but said be more careful. 17 at the time.

Last edited:
about a year ago someone dropped a bag or cement on the road just outside of Lowes
I was at the stop sign and it plopped right in front of me as they drove by
I was going to get out and get it out of the road because it was raining, very next car hit it (poof) :laughing:
still today there is a reverse pot hole in that spot

Top Back Refresh