What's new
  • Check out our new Group Buy Program! We're kicking it off with Baja Designs! $10 Flat rate shipping no matter how much you order!

Stupid stuff you see at work...

Just wrote two pages about truck drivers but it started to get incoherent. Let’s just say they suck.
They are a special breed for sure, but I wouldn't have my job without them..:homer:

I had a new driver approach me at work yesterday asking if I thought he should fill up with fuel or just wait till today. I asked him how much he had and he says 1/4 plus about 1/8th of a tank:shaking: I dunno I say how long is your run? About 3 hours is his answer.:shaking:
I won't leave our shop yard on ½ a tank, I always fill it up. It took me twice running out of gas to figure that out though :homer:.

It's a fucking headache, I deal with everything from ancient Honeywell SPZ/Primus/Proline to the latest Garmin/Collins/Honeywell glass cockpits with loads of part glass Garmin conversions.
We (Myself and my oppo) did a full G600TXi/GTN750Xi/GFC600 on an old CJ over last winter. And holy hell that's a conversion and a half.
This reminded me of one I should have posted a long time ago.
1000005523.jpg
1000005522.jpg

This rat's nest was behind the dash of an A-star we have. It was used as a test mule by an avionics company. They never removed or reused wiring, just add more with every new test.

1000005523.jpg
1000005522.jpg

This rat's nest was behind the dash of an A-star we have. It was used as a test mule by an avionics company. They never removed or reused wiring, just add more with every new test.
Shit son.... :homer:

And I thought this was enough of a headache....
PXL_20240205_130155025.jpg

1000005523.jpg
1000005522.jpg

I just pulled a bunch of bullshit terminal boards off a sea fury I’ve been working on, re wired the main radio harness today. Had a ton of non aircraft wiring on it.
B051AD3A-8F95-4BDC-BD3D-BC2D5119D717.jpeg
1D60DB38-D87D-43AE-AF68-E0D6CDA7F360.jpeg

I just pulled a bunch of bullshit terminal boards off a sea fury I’ve been working on, re wired the main radio harness today. Had a ton of non aircraft wiring on it.
When you say non aircraft wiring do you mean for crap unnecessary for an aircraft or is the wire itself or terminals not approved for use in an aircraft?

Sea Fury!:smokin:
I could see some of the warbirds being a mess if they haven't been restored since the 80s. I heard somewhere that guys were just keeping some of them together and barely flyable before they were old enough to be collector's items.

When you say non aircraft wiring do you mean for crap unnecessary for an aircraft or is the wire itself or terminals not approved for use in an aircraft?
The terminals were definitely “not approved” the wiring wasn’t tinned so it would and did corrode.
It’s kinda tricky because they are experimental now so technically you can get away with a lot more.

The new lathe decided to randomly stock out an extra foot after a bar change.

20241002_150751.jpg

This is the second time it has done this in 3 weeks. It's only been operational for 3 weeks. People like to talk shit on Haas's, but they are Swiss watches compared to this pile of shit.

What piece of shit is it? Been out of the field service game for a while. Back in the day Haas was for sure a piece of shit lol.

Did it really part off that bar without blowing up any tooling? That's pretty impressive

Did it really part off that bar without blowing up any tooling? That's pretty impressive
It kinda broke it off. Just some broken inserts and moved the tool holders around a bit.

What piece of shit is it? Been out of the field service game for a while. Back in the day Haas was for sure a piece of shit lol.
Samsung 2100 something with an LNS bar feeder. Dual spindle live tooling. While it's running it gives random alarms for weird shit. Sometimes it just keeps running, other times you have to cycle the power to get it to clear. I turned it off and on probably 6 times this morning alone. The lack of integration between the lathe and bar feeder is appalling. The manuals are a fucking joke. Where's the big yellow books you used to get with Fanuc controls?

There's a 20 yo haas sitting next to it with spindle bearings that sound like they wore out 5 years ago. Yet it was running +-.0005 parts all day long. It has never stocked put to far. Same with the other ST30Y that is 7 yo. They are a breeze to set up, the Samsung is like pulling teeth to get it to do anything without alarming out. M29? Why? Have to use it to rigid tap. But it alarms out every time you do. Don't use it and it breaks taps. Service guy has been our twice. Took copies of the programs, videos of it running and sent it back to Samsung. Crickets. We haven't paid for it yet and at this point if it was my choice I would tell them to come take it back. I need to make parts, not reinvent the wheel every time I set it up.

Samsung 2100 something with an LNS bar feeder. Dual spindle live tooling. While it's running it gives random alarms for weird shit. Sometimes it just keeps running, other times you have to cycle the power to get it to clear. I turned it off and on probably 6 times this morning alone. The lack of integration between the lathe and bar feeder is appalling. The manuals are a fucking joke. Where's the big yellow books you used to get with Fanuc controls?

There's a 20 yo haas sitting next to it with spindle bearings that sound like they wore out 5 years ago. Yet it was running +-.0005 parts all day long. It has never stocked put to far. Same with the other ST30Y that is 7 yo. They are a breeze to set up, the Samsung is like pulling teeth to get it to do anything without alarming out. M29? Why? Have to use it to rigid tap. But it alarms out every time you do. Don't use it and it breaks taps. Service guy has been our twice. Took copies of the programs, videos of it running and sent it back to Samsung. Crickets. We haven't paid for it yet and at this point if it was my choice I would tell them to come take it back. I need to make parts, not reinvent the wheel every time I set it up.

Is the bar feeder set to feed automatic to a length? Could go old school and feed to turret to control length.

As to all the other crap going on I'd say your are right on track with come pick your shit up and get something else.

The random mis-position at topcut would typically be an issue with the measuring cell simply not adjusted to the center to the bar at the front of the bar feeder. QL Servo 80 model?

The random mis-position at topcut would typically be an issue with the measuring cell simply not adjusted to the center to the bar at the front of the bar feeder. QL Servo 80 model?
20241003_064026.jpg

Is the bar feeder set to feed automatic to a length? Could go old school and feed to turret to control length.

As to all the other crap going on I'd say your are right on track with come pick your shit up and get something else.
20241003_063924.jpg

NS stands for not sorted apparently.

Tried going old school and using a dead stop. Problem is, a lot of our parts are shorter than the minimum grip length so the rem won't drop and the new bar keeps pushing. It then gets to the point where it doesn't have enough grip length and launchs the bar. It's been so long since I've had to mickey mouse this shit I've forgotten how it was done.

There's a reason Haas is the world's largest tool maker, integration and ease of use. They are the only lathe manf I know of that offer their own bar feeder. Everyone else is third party and poorly integrated.

The measuring cell would still the same setup on that entry level model. If it keeps acting up after a measuring cell check and adjustment, call in for LNS service to come back out.

20241003_063924.jpg

NS stands for not sorted apparently.

Tried going old school and using a dead stop. Problem is, a lot of our parts are shorter than the minimum grip length so the rem won't drop and the new bar keeps pushing. It then gets to the point where it doesn't have enough grip length and launchs the bar. It's been so long since I've had to mickey mouse this shit I've forgotten how it was done.

There's a reason Haas is the world's largest tool maker, integration and ease of use. They are the only lathe manf I know of that offer their own bar feeder. Everyone else is third party and poorly integrated.

Sounds like the end of bar/bar length is not set right on the bar feeder. lathe not getting end of bar signal and keeps on chugging until boom. Could also be the shitty intergration, sometimes the set up was interesting trying figure out with the machine lol.

Top Back Refresh