What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

I'm not sure if this is stupid but this vending machine showed up outside of IT recently. You have to request badge access. They're trying it out as a pilot program. I guess whatever you get out of it is automatically charged to your department
1000002124.jpg
Only one? Current place has 4. A lot of larger companies use those. They are only mildly successful in inventory control.

That vending machine is nothing new, the railway has had them around for 10 or 15 years. They're full of batteries, PPE and assorted stuff you might need for day to day operations. Batteries are a big draw just before Christmas (like nobody would ever figure that out) same with the nicer work gloves, flashlights and safety shades. Aside from batteries and the odd thing my go to things were O'Keefs products and the Gatorade powder sticks.

GF told me that yes there is a Milwaukee machine in the works but it's gonna be very carefully managed:laughing: Gee I wonder what I am gonna get for Christmas this year.:lmao:

we had vending machines like that
all the time you save in management just transfers to chasing 'that' guy down that thinks they are getting away with something
dufus thinks it is broken and just got away with 52 boxes of AA batteries scott free

I got called into the office with the IT tech, my boss, my union rep, and a video on pause
they were wanting to knew why I stole all that stuff
I looked at the video, and told them they should go ask the guy that is stealing the stuff........fuck face didn't even have the right guy. It was right there on the video:laughing:

Agree that those vending machines have been around for quite some time (never seen an IT one though). We have tried them on several production floors for consumables, PPE, etc. The company badge swipe to get whatever needed would go against the time code or project but I've never heard of abuse. Most have been removed because the maintenance and downtime of production staff not getting what they needed when they needed it cost a lot more than someone swiping a box of nitrile gloves. As I walked through one of the floors today I noticed everything is back on open carts: gloves, eyes, ears, wipes, cleaners.... Sure is a whole lot easier to grab and go than arguing with a stupid coke machine.

Not a terrible system but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. However, the stationary closets get absolutely molested in August when it's "back-to-school" shopping time. That shit should absolutely be under lock and key :lmao:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is stupid but this vending machine showed up outside of IT recently. You have to request badge access. They're trying it out as a pilot program. I guess whatever you get out of it is automatically charged to your department

PS - looks like you guys are low on headsets. Better let someone know :flipoff2:

We have a metric shitload of offshore contractors that circle between our onsite locations and back home to the sub-continent of Asia (usually because they conveniently forgot to re-up their H1B and get a paid holiday that lasts for months). The amount of "my headset died, my mouse died, I need a new monitor, my keyboard gave up, my docking station no longer works, do you have a jump drive, charging cord, etc etc etc" I'm sure we fill a lot of Christmas stockings (or whatever is the equivalent)

Last edited:
Only one? Current place has 4. A lot of larger companies use those. They are only mildly successful in inventory control.
Grounger and Fastenall have them in some if the shops I've been in for PPE, tooling, hardware, etc.

Probably helps keep people from pocketing stuff.
Though I've been in shops that have encouraged people take PPE so it hopefully is used at home. Not getting a grinder wheel to the face at home cause you had a faceshield on means you're at work the next day and not in the hospital.

Where I work, I got tired of asking and just bring stuff from home. Did irritate me when I went to the main warehouse and everyone there had matching uniforms with custom sewn shirts and hi viz hoodies with company logo and their name. "Uhhh, we get these every year"
WTF!
Took me almost 2 years to get a frigging hat. The clothes I wear at work I had to buy.

Last edited:
Sent our winch guy out last night to recover a broken down truck. He sends me this at 8pm.

IMG_1624.jpg

Of course it's now sitting on critical components such as the fuel tank and they are fucked. We're really busy and I have no picker operators available so I left at 4am in a 20 year old truck that's been sitting for a long time to go fix their fuck up :homer:

20240919_044220.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 2
Sent our winch guy out last night to recover a broken down truck. He sends me this at 8pm.

IMG_1624.jpg

Of course it's now sitting on critical components such as the fuel tank and they are fucked. We're really busy and I have no picker operators available so I left at 4am in a 20 year old truck that's been sitting for a long time to go fix their fuck up :homer:

20240919_044220.jpg
What the fuck was that dumbass doing to fuck that up so bad?

And a nightmare in cost control.
We went back to asking the Directors assistant for office supplies now.
She's a witch, better not need 2 blue pens in less than 3 weeks, she'll bark at ya :laughing:

1000002124.jpg

Got a bunch of them around for consumables in the maintenance shops building. The shipyard my brother works in has em for consumables too.
beep
Case of cut off wheels.
Helps to keep from interrupting the tool crib's napping and cribbage schedule.

Our work has at least 4 per facility. In theory I can see them being usefull. Before we switched to Fastenal we used Vallen and it was a centralized vending area. Meaning you have to trek all from half the building away to get a pair of gloves. Now F has them strategically placed which makes more sense to me.

We have them but only the group leads can access them. That turns into the group leads spending a good bit of time getting safety glasses, gloves and other crap out of the vending machine instead of just giving them some to keep in their area to give out as needed.

They are just bins with doors on them so once you open a bin, you can take 1 or 10 without any oversight. I seriously doubt we save any money by using them.

We have them but only the group leads can access them. That turns into the group leads spending a good bit of time getting safety glasses, gloves and other crap out of the vending machine instead of just giving them some to keep in their area to give out as needed.

They are just bins with doors on them so once you open a bin, you can take 1 or 10 without any oversight. I seriously doubt we save any money by using them.
Cause no one ever possibly sees Jeff just got a new set of something so they then ask too.

That would be a bitch and I don't know why you would bother at that point other than maybe automatic reorders

The fastenall units we have run by weight. Take 1, it can identify a difference between that and taking 10. Our procurement guys get an update with a suggested restock quote every week based on consumption, they can either send it or edit it and Fastenall restocks.

The worst couple of things have been trying to get Fastenall to stock something other than their shit gloves that cost the same as Tillmans and dealing with outages where our consumption goes way up. Generally it's an expectation that our supervisors manage those situations as they see fit so every department stocks up on shit they run through.

We use both the Fastenal ones and the Grainger ones. The Fastenal ones are stupid (as you pointed out) but the Grainger ones are pretty good. Everyone over 6+ months can get into them because it's mostly PPE, tape measures, flashlights, etc.
We have a big vertical stacker for bigger parts, tools and PPE that's more user-restricted but it's super finicky. Cant get into it tonight tho because the dumb light barriers are faulted again :shaking:

I had a new driver approach me at work yesterday asking if I thought he should fill up with fuel or just wait till today. I asked him how much he had and he says 1/4 plus about 1/8th of a tank:shaking: I dunno I say how long is your run? About 3 hours is his answer.:shaking:

I had a new driver approach me at work yesterday asking if I thought he should fill up with fuel or just wait till today. I asked him how much he had and he says 1/4 plus about 1/8th of a tank:shaking: I dunno I say how long is your run? About 3 hours is his answer.:shaking:
1: A woman would know if she could make it. LOL

2: What is the advantage of filling up later?

Top Back Refresh