What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

This truck "overdrive" came in the shop years ago to get PAR'ed on the truck Chassis dyno.
It was created by a dude who looked like Afroman, who had a enterage who looked like Afroman's friends :mr-t: who all piled in/out of a black Escalade.
He wanted to dyno it on the chassis dyno and get the certified data he needed to prove the fuel consumption was reduced.

1718196540653.jpeg

1718196550955.jpeg

1718196560374.jpeg
does that have like... bevel gears in it? Casting shape and cross shaft sure looks like it.

As the do all guy I get some real head scratchers, sometimes from customers but often from our own techs.
I don't mind it though, they are fun (as long as you figure it out pretty quick) and keep life exciting. :lmao:

Got this telehandler with a 3054 PerkPillar in the shop. Came in for leaking injection pump weep hole. Tech R&I'ed pump and now it runs like complete dog shit. Tech replaced pump with another new one cause it must have been bad.

Instantly I look at it and ask the guy what the fuck happened to the fuel lines? He says he doesn't know.... I say you don't know like you blacked out don't remember? You sold them to an arabian camel jockey? You used them to repair some fence at your moms?
He says he doesn't know but confirms these lines are new but they are missing all the clamps and organizers as you can see.
I blow it off cause this dude is ex-military and from experience these guys can cover up a fuck up like know one you have seen, it's pretty impressive.
So i figure he has definitely fucked the timing up so step one is verify timing, but it is good, zero problem with that.
Then I sort of back up and verify basic shit, air flow, supply fuel pressure etc. but it's all good.
I don't remember know why but I suspected something was going on with these fuel lines, the fact he had zero information as to why he replaced them and then B why they looked so fucked up was a obvious tattle tale. :idea:
In a stroke of genius I went and found another engine of the same flavor on the yard, closely inspected the fuel system and noticed this thing was in fact way more fucked up than I thought. He created a custom rotary fuel pump firing order
:laughing:
notice the paint pen numbers on the nuts.

And the correct order...
So i bought another set of fuel lines and all clamps and mounts.

So he had two injector line’s swapped? Had he returned it to the customer like that? Or fucked it up the handed it over to you first to recover the fumble?

So he had two injector line’s swapped? Had he returned it to the customer like that? Or fucked it up the handed it over to you first to recover the fumble?
Yeah he swapped two lines, thankfully it had not left and after he gave up my manager pulled me out of the field to come un-fuck it.
He later got fired for wrecking a service truck and trying to fix it at home... and never owned up to what happened to the fuel lines.

does that have like... bevel gears in it? Casting shape and cross shaft sure looks like it.
That was my thought just based on the shape, like a differential carrier in a home made housing or something but really I have no idea.
For a pure Overdrive it's really giant.

So just don't be retarded?
Have you ever pulled a chain box cover buried in a machine with no good place to get under it?
Changing sealants isn't gonna solve your retard problem.

Exactly. Instead of plugging shit up that shouldn't you get the inverse problem. Someone globs shit on. It doesn't seal. It leaks, someone has to go back and fix it.
Have you ever used anaerobic?
I guess that's harder to pin on the tech vs a bunch of RTV in a pickup so I can see why it's far preferable from your employer's perspective.
Do you think a field mechanic is a slave to employer dictates?
Why is it that every knuckle dragging twat in your age range takes any sort of commentary by anyone who doesn't do a thing from 9-5 as some sort of roundabout attack on your competence?
Only when said home-gamer doesn’t seem to know what he’s talking about, age doesn’t matter, 486 is younger than you :flipoff2:
You don't see the computer guys getting their panties in a knot when the hobby CNC types start giving out IT tips.
There are examples on this very forum of your premise being false, sirch newb
:flipoff2:

says the office dweller who shops at the only steelyard with a half decent website (that really isn't half as good as most paper price sheets that the other guys print out themselves)
solely because it has an online presence
You're trying too hard.

90% of my steel spend is at Sullivan Metals and they don't even have a working phone number for the Worcester location and the Springfield location can't transfer the call most of the time.

That was my thought just based on the shape, like a differential carrier in a home made housing or something but really I have no idea.
For a pure Overdrive it's really giant.
Maybe he got to reading about gear profiles and theoretical efficiencies and whatnot and whipped up something crazy.

The external fluid shit is still baffling though. :laughing:

<Illiterate yokel makes poor attempt at trolling>
Lol.

You're trying too hard.

90% of my steel spend is at Sullivan Metals and they don't even have a working phone number for the Worcester location and the Springfield location can't transfer the call most of the time.

Maybe he got to reading about gear profiles and theoretical efficiencies and whatnot and whipped up something crazy.

The external fluid shit is still baffling though. :laughing:

Lol.
There was talk that he is "inventor" and has sold several patents to big companies (CAT) etc.
Nothign confirmed, I would have assumed gang banger or drug dealer...:stirthepot:

That’s what I was hoping to hear. That’s amateur hour stuff. If you had to unfuck it they better not let him touch anything else.
I can forgive a lot of dumb shit cause "I didn't know"

But IMO these fuel lines are so fucking simple it didn't make sense, you take the nuts off the injectors and the nuts off the pump and the whole set of lines comes off in one chunk, there is no need to separate the lines, or loose them or whatever the fuck happened to them.

am i wrong in thinking with those hard lines it's pretty much laid out how it goes back together? it will only fit one way?
Absolutely. He got the new factory lines in a bundle. They only go on one way and it ran on all 4 cylinder’s again. The dude that screwed it up, he made new lines and had to bend the two in the wrong direction to reach the wrong injector from the pump.

Edit: I’ve seen this same thing done by some dumb ass kid in a p-pump 12V Cummins. Had it all apart to turn up the pump and “somehow” bent the whole injector line bundle while it was laying on the floor and then kinked & broke some while trying to straighten them back out. So salvaged the ones that he could and built new ones to replace the ruined ones. Firing order was completely jacked. By the time I got involved the crank case was quarts of diesel over full from cranking it and squirting diesel in the cylinders out of time. I made him buy the new bundle from Cummins. You take it out of the box and it falls right onto the right beginning and end points. Not easy to mess up like a box of spark plug wires is.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Linkslide is over by the Doe Run lead mine Southeast MO?

Last edited:
Pretty Linkslide is over by the Doe Run lead mine Southeast MO?
we rode some "secret" trails in the twain ten-fifteen years ago. were a couple mines hidden out there. really good riding too. ride leader was a crusty old guy that lived in the middle of it all. worked on the mines atv's and sxs's, so he got a pass to make trails. the dnr didnt like it though. we'd come to a trail end/road to cross and he'd have us stop back in the trees and sneak out to check for traffic then wave us through. :laughing: last I heard he had passed away. that sweet single track is likely all but gone now.

Top Back Refresh