What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

Machine came in to the shop, not running.

Customer says I think I need a new injection pump. Entry level tech draws the straw and pulls the pump off the engine.

1000013670.jpg

So you can see that's it's now an instructional aid..,
The tech quotes the pump to the customer who agrees to. The tech puts the new pump on and fires it up, it has a decent fuel knock and fuel pump timing fault code.
After he futzs with it and re-times the pump now it won't start.

I get the Bat signal and show up after a shit job we're I got over heated so I didn't have my loving delivery.

I take one look at the situation and ask "you didn't replace the injectors lines etc. when the pump literally exploded?"
To which he says no "they " didn't want to. I retort who the fuck is they?
They is the supervisor who obviously is not a expert mechanic.

I take a breath and say well what's it doing? He says won't start but pops like it's trying. I say let's disconnect the crank speed sensor and running it on the cam only.
So he does that and it fires right up, actually sounded pretty good, no obvious knock.

As it's sitting there idling I say rev it a little, he revs it to 1800 or say and you gear it make a grinding noise then a squeal and the engine is brought to a halt, not like it died, it STOPPED.

I bust out laughing and say that pump is fucked now too :lmao:

Entry level kid says nunt ugh I said ugh huh:laughing:
Try to crank it, acts like the battery is dead:lmao:
I run a data log real quick, 0 psi rail pressure, yep it's fucked.
I tell him pull it back off let's see wtf happened.
He gets it back off, in record time really, and as he sets it on the bench aluminum shavings pour out the return port. I explain how it was really just "wacky" that you guys put a new pump on a fuel system that failed it's pump so bad it exploded but you didn't think it was important to clean or replace any of the rest of the fuel system. I explained I'm saying wacky instead of retarded...

1000013776.jpg

1000013780.jpg

1000013777.jpg

Part two
(My auto correct is not helping me very much hear it seems)
As we Investigate the timing fault I have him roll the engine to TDC via the flywheel mark. The fuel pump idler gear timing marks are 20* off so since the gay ass Kubota engine has rear gear train the engine has to come out.

Further discussion reveals the engine still has emissions warranty which cover the repair in its entirety...

We're fucked guys, these kids ain't learning much.:flipoff2:

I get a call at 2pm from a customer's wife regarding the iron removal at one of their rentals. It turns out that a fruitless mulberry tree dropped a limb. The people that they hired to remove the branch then dropped it on the iron removal breaking the plumbing. They were trying to repair it when she showed up.
1000043281.jpg

She sent me this picture so I grabbed some parts and headed out.
This is what I arrived to.
1000043275.jpg
1000043276.jpg
1000043274.jpg

They told her that is how it always looks, so she didn't think that it was broken. I'll be back Monday to replace the parts.

I get a call at 2pm from a customer's wife regarding the iron removal at one of their rentals. It turns out that a fruitless mulberry tree dropped a limb. The people that they hired to remove the branch then dropped it on the iron removal breaking the plumbing. They were trying to repair it when she showed up.
1000043281.jpg

1000043275.jpg
1000043276.jpg
1000043274.jpg

They told her that is how it always looks, so she didn't think that it was broken. I'll be back Monday to replace the parts.
Deny deny deny :lmao:

1000043281.jpg

1000043275.jpg
1000043276.jpg
1000043274.jpg

:shaking:
Fubar
And job security

First day back to work post racecation. I am hammered dog shit, can’t even stand up straight. Find this at my first stop. Alternator had been on fire but the fire burned out on its own. The engine was still running but the water pump wasn’t turning because the serp belt was gone. Wasn’t boiling on arrival but the second I turned the engine off if it boiled over. If I’d have been another 1/2 hour getting there it probably would have went down on overheat on its own- I hope.

IMG_6277.jpeg
IMG_6278.jpeg
IMG_6279.jpeg
IMG_6280.jpeg

another 8.3 genset victim to the heat/enclosure?
Alternators and batteries are our biggest consumable next to engine oil. They just weren’t meant to run 24 hours a day with no breaks. Building isn’t even closed in, just a car port with a roof over it is all.

Alternators and batteries are our biggest consumable next to engine oil. They just weren’t meant to run 24 hours a day with no breaks. Building isn’t even closed in, just a car port with a roof over it is all.
Would an external fan on the ALT help what you're talking about?

Would an external fan on the ALT help what you're talking about?
It’s got plenty of air movement across it. There’s a 5 foot fan a foot and a half away blowing air through it. They fail a lot but the flameout is pretty rare. This my second fire sale alternator this year. It isn’t heat under normal conditions. It’s if the bearings fail and it shorts out internally when the armature contacts stuff it shouldn’t.

IMG_6283.jpeg
IMG_6284.jpeg

It’s got plenty of air movement across it. There’s a 5 foot fan a foot and a half away blowing air through it. They fail a lot but the flameout is pretty rare. This my second fire sale alternator this year. It isn’t heat under normal conditions. It’s if the bearings fail and it shorts out internally when the armature contacts stuff it shouldn’t.
Cool, I wasnt aware of that. :beer:

we have gone away from alternators on our genset and are using just a battery maintainer on ours. 8 years no trouble. ill get a picture next time im at the boat. used to go through alternators every 6 months before that.

we have gone away from alternators on our genset and are using just a battery maintainer on ours. 8 years no trouble. ill get a picture next time im at the boat. used to go through alternators every 6 months before that.
haha I was just thinking about that, replacing the 12v charging system on my welder generator with plugging in a 1a 14v wall wart wired up to the battery
plugging it into the generator itself

haha I was just thinking about that, replacing the 12v charging system on my welder generator with plugging in a 1a 14v wall wart wired up to the battery
plugging it into the generator itself
thats exactly what we do... 8 years no alternators. on the 4bt and 6 years on my 6v92 jimmy.
only thing is we put a stripped out alternator to act as a idler so that i can grab the generic serpentine belt on the 4 bt. and on the jimmy we dont even run a belt but i have a spare if the maintainer fucks up.

Last edited:
These are natural gas compressors not generators. The only way to charge the batteries are with an alternator. The 8.3’s we have at the water disposal pump houses have electricity and those have industrial chargers instead of alts. But the comps are stand-alone units with no utility power.

Can you get a clown shoe sized pulley for the alt so while it's still running 24/7 it's doing so at much lower speed? Maybe add a fraction of inch to the belt length so the tensioner isn't pushing so hard?

Can you get a clown shoe sized pulley for the alt so while it's still running 24/7 it's doing so at much lower speed? Maybe add a fraction of inch to the belt length so the tensioner isn't pushing so hard?
Probably, if I was paying for parts I’d probably attempt that. but I’m just a parts changer now. I can change a water pump and belt or alternator and belt in under 30 min on these things. I keep the stuff in a parts house close by and our warehouse keeps them in stock for us. These engines are only 2000 rpm which I consider pretty slow.

Top Back Refresh