What's new

Slowpoke attempts to kill himself in a golfcart!

Another kick in the dick.......

Resized_IMG_6168.jpeg

So now we have a series and no place to race. Wonderful.... :shaking:

So after a brief trip to the local MX track this morning to run some practice laps it now has more compression in the crank case than it does in the cylinders.....

20240707_103214.jpg

Best I can tell is the air filter sucked closed and then got sucked down into the velocity stack. After a few laps running around like that it sucked all of the air filter oil out in those spots and started eating dust. It never even gave me a hint of anything going on and it was fast right up until it wasn't. With how much the pistons are slapping around it's probably at least .030-.040 over now. :laughing:

20240707_130049.jpg

I should have stayed home today. :shaking:

Last edited:
On a positive note..... I was told I'll have a set of top secret custom pistons in two weeks nobody is running yet that are going to wake the car up big time, and the guy that does the block sleeves has them in stock and can do the job as soon as he gets my block.:smokin:

I wanted more power and planned on building a bigger motor this winter but today's antics just sped that time line waaay up.

Fuuuuuuuck

That stinks on the current engine but cool on the future/sooner than expected high horse pressure engine build!

How’s the wrist/hand after turning laps and in general?

On a positive note..... I was told I'll have a set of top secret custom pistons in two weeks nobody is running yet that are going to wake the car up big time, and the guy that does the block sleeves has them in stock and can do the job as soon as he gets my block.:smokin:
I’ve seen this play out before :flipoff2:

So after a brief trip to the local MX track this morning to run some practice laps it now has more compression in the crank case than it does in the cylinders.....

20240707_103214.jpg

Best I can tell is the air filter sucked closed and then got sucked down into the velocity stack. After a few laps running around like that it sucked all of the air filter oil out in those spots and started eating dust. It never even gave me a hint of anything going on and it was fast right up until it wasn't. With how much the pistons are slapping around it's probably at least .030-.040 over now. :laughing:

20240707_130049.jpg

I should have stayed home today. :shaking:
You think that might have happened at your race you missed? Like it was some sort of omen?

You think that might have happened at your race you missed? Like it was some sort of omen?

I put that filter on last night so probably so.

I washed and oiled both filters at the same time like i always do, ran one at the first race and had one ready to go in a zip lock for the second race or in case I needed a spare at the first one. Either way it would have eventually been on there with what I assume would be the same end result.

Before that intake goes back on the motor I'm going to build a cage out of tig wire and drill holes in the face of the intake to mount in and epoxy it so it cant move. I can't afford to have this shit happen twice!

I wonder if my TB being bored oversize and moving more air than a stock TB played into that? I haven't heard a peep about this happening to anybody with one of those intake/filter setups. I'm the unlucky one...

I put that filter on last night so probably so.

I washed and oiled both filters at the same time like i always do, ran one at the first race and had one ready to go in a zip lock for the second race or in case I needed a spare at the first one. Either way it would have eventually been on there with what I assume would be the same end result.

Before that intake goes back on the motor I'm going to build a cage out of tig wire and drill holes in the face of the intake to mount in and epoxy it so it cant move. I can't afford to have this shit happen twice!

I wonder if my TB being bored oversize and moving more air than a stock TB played into that? I haven't heard a peep about this happening to anybody with one of those intake/filter setups. I'm the unlucky one...
Any way to increase your air filter size to decrease the pressure size as it starts to plug up? Or get 2 filters on there?

I can't imagine more air would ever hurt.

Any way to increase your air filter size to decrease the pressure size as it starts to plug up? Or get 2 filters on there?

I can't imagine more air would ever hurt.

It's a custom 3D printed intake. The filters supplied with it are made by the guy making the intakes and nothing off the shelf will even come close to fitting. There also isn't any room around the filter to go bigger. It's stuffed in there pretty good...

Can you put a real airbox back in?

Those things weigh like 20lbs and kill horsepower. That would be the absolute last resort. :laughing:

It's a custom 3D printed intake. The filters supplied with it are made by the guy making the intakes and nothing off the shelf will even come close to fitting. There also isn't any room around the filter to go bigger. It's stuffed in there pretty good...

Those things weigh like 20lbs and kill horsepower. That would be the absolute last resort. :laughing:
Gotta love/hate custom stuffs for that exact reason!

Just make a real airbox out of a 3D printed one or make it out of carbon fiber. :lmao::stirthepot:

The filter isn't exactly small and probably has more area than the stock panel filter. Once I add a cage to the top this won't be a problem anymore.

Resized_Resized_Resized_20230602_173127(1).jpeg

Dumb question but would there be a benefit to getting the air filter higher up for a little cooler IAT's and maybe better protection from dust swirl? I'd think during a dusty race weekend that filter would be getting hammered.

Dumb question but would there be a benefit to getting the air filter higher up for a little cooler IAT's and maybe better protection from dust swirl? I'd think during a dusty race weekend that filter would be getting hammered.

Hess and a couple other guys tried running a snorkel deal around this intake and it killed all the extra power gained from using it even with cooler air coming in. It filters the air fine for what I do with it and I'll keep running it until something better comes along. This will never be an issue again once I build a cage to support the filter, it just sucked figuring it out this way.

If the damn frame wasn't in the way of the air filter space on the left side of the chassis I'd have a sprint car style air box setup on top of that velocity stack.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that filter doesn't have some kind of internal cage like you see on dirt bikes to keep that from happening.

It will have a cage in it before it goes back on the engine. Once I get the engine out and disassembled I'll work on building the cage while I wait for the machine shop to do its thing.

My biggest fear right now is if enough dirt got in the engine and past the oil filter to damage the bearing journals in the head. If the head is junk and I have to buy and build a new one I'm pretty much fucked for the season.

Again, I should have stayed home Sunday...🤦‍♂️

Top Back Refresh