What's new

Slowpoke attempts to kill himself in a golfcart!

From that vid, the Honda which is a 270 shouldn't need much in the way of extra balancing.

I wonder if this is market driven, kinda like the 250R ATC had a balance shaft but the CR's didn't even though most engine parts interchanged.......

From that vid, the Honda which is a 270 shouldn't need much in the way of extra balancing.

I wonder if this is market driven, kinda like the 250R ATC had a balance shaft but the CR's didn't even though most engine parts interchanged.......

That's what it sounded like to me too. And he also said it didn't require as much flywheel mass. :smokin:

The Africa Twin, which my engine is based off of has 2 balance shafts inside the damn thing so who knows what Honda's reasoning is for that.

I wish the balance shaft didn't require the cases to be split to remove/install it or I'd already have one on order and my old one on the way to your house so I could test that theory. The shaft itself would have to stay because it drives the oil pumps and water pump but hacking the weights off and spinning down the shaft to remove all the weight would make a serious difference in rotating weight.

That's what it sounded like to me too. And he also said it didn't require as much flywheel mass. :smokin:

The Africa Twin, which my engine is based off of has 2 balance shafts inside the damn thing so who knows what Honda's reasoning is for that.

I wish the balance shaft didn't require the cases to be split to remove/install it or I'd already have one on order and my old one on the way to your house so I could test that theory. The shaft itself would have to stay because it drives the oil pumps and water pump but hacking the weights off and spinning down the shaft to remove all the weight would make a serious difference in rotating weight.
It's kind of interesting subject because since you are changing the reciprocating weight would the counter balance shaft need a reduction in mass as well?

I watched that video above awhile back after talking to a buddy about the difference between harleys and jap bikes. Good stuff for sure.

It's kind of interesting subject because since you are changing the reciprocating weight would the counter balance shaft need a reduction in mass as well?

No clue honestly but I'd assume so. But I also know several people who threw rods and pistons in theirs and only pulled the head and pan to do it (no rebalancing) and don't complain about vibrations. 🤷‍♂️

Told engine guy to watch the video and his response was "You really need to see what a crank looks like in the lathe on centers"

I asked him if that was with or without bob weights and I haven't got a reply yet but I think I know what that answer is already. :laughing:

Last edited:
In case anybody is wondering, this is what we are talking about....

Screenshot_20240806-222714_Samsung Internet.jpg

Late to this party, but I wonder with todays 3D scanning tech, if you could accurately enough scan the dish and shave it in software to get that exact right comp ratio?

Also I had a Honda tech, back in the day, tell me that the ATC250R had a balance shaft because “ya sit your ass on the seat”, where my cr250 didn’t cause you better be standing up most the time. Made sense to me at 18. I don’t think my FL250 Odyssey had a balancer shaft either, but the motor was rubber mounted.

Late to this party, but I wonder with todays 3D scanning tech, if you could accurately enough scan the dish and shave it in software to get that exact right comp ratio?

Also I had a Honda tech, back in the day, tell me that the ATC250R had a balance shaft because “ya sit your ass on the seat”, where my cr250 didn’t cause you better be standing up most the time. Made sense to me at 18. I don’t think my FL250 Odyssey had a balancer shaft either, but the motor was rubber mounted.
The new katoom 2T bikes have a balancer but I assume it's to keep you from losing feeling in your feet on a 4+ hour Enduro race.

I'm sure 4 Wheeler is similar, two different crowds (woman on quads and men on the cycles) :flipoff2:

Block just showed up a few minutes ago and is looking minty again.:smokin: It's also noticeably heavier than it was before the sleeve job. No worries about distorting cylinder walls anymore with these thick things and as a bonus they included two spare sleeves in case I ever kill the bores again and need to keep the stock bore to meet class rules....

20240905_172156.jpg

20240905_172120.jpg

Maybe you just got older waiting for it. :flipoff2:

That half of the block was paper machete light to the point it almost didn't make sense. The stock sleeves were paper thin and inspired no confidence that the bores wouldn't move all over when the head was torqued and the engine heat cycled. In a way having it blow up and it needing sleeves was a blessing in disguise. I'm sure square bores have to be worth a couple HP at the very least.

Last edited:
I finally got my ass in gear and called the engine shop to make an appointment to get the engine reassembled. I'm going to drive up there next week and drop it off.

This is what made me make the call.....

Screenshot_20241014_095240_Samsung Internet.jpg

It looks like Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland Missouri is going to get a legit short course series going again for the 2025 season and I want in on that. Their facility is top notch and should bring in some good racing. :smokin:

I finally got my ass in gear and called the engine shop to make an appointment to get the engine reassembled. I'm going to drive up there next week and drop it off.

This is what made me make the call.....

Screenshot_20241014_095240_Samsung Internet.jpg

It looks like Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland Missouri is going to get a legit short course series going again for the 2025 season and I want in on that. Their facility is top notch and should bring in some good racing. :smokin:
thats only 6 hours away and only 2 hours to smorr. holly chit. keep them dates posted :beer::beer::beer::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh