What's new

Rapey Snap-On Tools

Whatchu fellas doin' with my cock-handling pliers? Just left them on the back of the shitter this morning...

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

These ?
1711992317086.png

IowaOffRoad I don’t know about that. Their allen and torx bits are special piece of crap. Harbor Freight’s Pittsburg held up MUCH longer, looks a lot nicer no machining marks, and have lifetime warranty. They’re better off go straight to the scrap bin. :shaking:

I just pulled them out of my scrap bin to take pics of them lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This one immediately split in half brand new on a Jeep seat belt bolt.

image.jpg

I kept on buying them because Made in USA thinking I picked up a bad batch or just a bad luck before I knew better.

Pot metal at it's finest.

What funny is most of my OTC and Lisle tools were because they are Ford specialty tools that the manual called out that you had to buy.
I was never a big fan of a lot of the OTC stuff, but when I was a wrench, it was the only option.

For those of us that still like the rape van, these were my newest buy and I love them so much they are always in my pocket now when I walk the floor.

1711986276899.png
I own a pair of SO angled needle nose pliers since the late 80’s. It’s rare whenever they get used. I own an off brand long handle ones given to me I’ve used a fair amount just grabbing hard to reach things

Someone mentioned the best air hammer ever made? Yeah, the only snappy air tool I own, cost an arm and a leg, but was worth it. My rule as a home gamer with snappy was if he didnt have it on the truck in Green I didnt need to buy it. I didnt special order tools unless I truly needed them for a job, otherwise it was buy it as he gets it in green and expand the collection. I bought enough I got a lot of cool snappy toys and memorabilia from my guy as well like this engine builder set for my kid and this snappy truck creeper that is my kids toybox:usa:
20221115_092902.jpg

20220106_152237.jpg

20221220_100547.jpg
20220121_135723 (1).jpg

I mentioned the air hammer. I had a all black demo one they wouldn't let me keep BITD when I ordered mine back before they made them in colors.

Anyone know if that Snap-on collector stuff is worth anything? I have a few of the old super bright colored beach towels unopened still I think.

They really beat a set of traditional crimpers. Having the crimp on the front makes it real easy to get in and crimp in tighter spots with them when available wire is limited. A god send when running wiring in a boat and under dashes. If I could only keep a handful of snappy tools these would be top of the list for sure.
Got “raped” for $87 CAD today 😆
Edit: err buddy rike pictar

And for what it’s worth these have a shitty forging to be honest

Attachments

• IMG_5417.jpeg
    IMG_5417.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I wish the Crapman stuff was as good as it used to be vs the shit they have now. I'd just use that, other then the angle flex head 3/8" ratchet.

I wish the Crapman stuff was as good as it used to be vs the shit they have now. I'd just use that, other then the angle flex head 3/8" ratchet.

Shop for US made stuff if you see it locally, most of my Craftsman ratchets/chrome sockets were bought used over 20 years ago now.

No flex heads for me, that is what swiwel extensions/swiwel sockets are for.
This thread has inspired me to go through my tool collection and sort some stuff out, pops and I are both pack rats and have been buying tools for over 27 years now.

Here is what my extra/not used socket tool box looks like as of today...

I have two more boxes filled with additional ratchets/wrenches/pliers/screwdrivers as well.
Some US, some China/Taiwan/India/Japan.

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_125230.jpg
    IMG_20240408_125230.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I didnt even know craftsman still made tools:laughing:
I had the polished tear drop ratchets from them. (from 20 years ago) all 3 sizes. both the 1/4 and 3/8 had teeth off in the drives. this was after all the stores closed, but you could call in and get warranty. ( or do it online if the parts number was "available") Of course the tear drop ratchet part numbers was not in the available warranty list online so I called. wasted a couple hours between the numerous calls. "sorry I cant warranty that because Im only allowed to send the exact part number item". I'll never spend another penny on them.

00l0l_3wmTZAfEkOl_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

like those. They were my go to's for years. Now I cant stand anything that is not a snappy. guess Ive turned into a tool snob. :laughing:

I had the polished tear drop ratchets from them. (from 20 years ago) all 3 sizes. both the 1/4 and 3/8 had teeth off in the drives. this was after all the stores closed, but you could call in and get warranty. ( or do it online if the parts number was "available") Of course the tear drop ratchet part numbers was not in the available warranty list online so I called. wasted a couple hours between the numerous calls. "sorry I cant warranty that because Im only allowed to send the exact part number item". I'll never spend another penny on them.

00l0l_3wmTZAfEkOl_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

like those. They were my go to's for years. Now I cant stand anything that is not a snappy. guess Ive turned into a tool snob. :laughing:
You forget about the “rape” after you use them for a couple of decades and they are still worth about what you paid. :laughing:

You forget about the “rape” after you use them for a couple of decades and they are still worth about what you paid. :laughing:

Yeah that $100 ratchet I bought 30 years ago when I started in the auto trades has cost me like $3 a year to own. What a friggin rip off considering it made me thousands of dollars and I can eBay it for nearly what I paid for it:laughing:

Yeah that $100 ratchet I bought 30 years ago when I started in the auto trades has cost me like $3 a year to own. What a friggin rip off considering it made me thousands of dollars
There's an opportunity cost to that sort of dumbassery. The guy who bought cheap tools and more of them was working efficiently sooner than you were or was making less payments than you were. He was in the black sooner. And if you both bought the full setup from your respective sources he was probably in the black enough to have retired that generation of tools to his home garage and bought nice new stuff not on credit before you even finished your payments.

Of course a $100 ratchet isn't gonna break the bank but when you start looking at the cost of the whole setup it becomes clear how bad of a decision it is to go tool truck for anything but a select few tools, especially in the modern age when Amazon can frequently have your replacement in the office waiting for you at the same speed as the tool truck.

I can eBay it for nearly what I paid for it
50% off retail is a pretty common price band for used shit that still works fine. Don't act like this is special. You can sell a 20yo $100 HF engine hoist for $50 all day long.

There's an opportunity cost to that sort of dumbassery. The guy who bought cheap tools and more of them was working efficiently sooner than you were or was making less payments than you were. He was in the black sooner. And if you both bought the full setup from your respective sources he was probably in the black enough to have retired that generation of tools to his home garage and bought nice new stuff not on credit before you even finished your payments.

Of course a $100 ratchet isn't gonna break the bank but when you start looking at the cost of the whole setup it becomes clear how bad of a decision it is to go tool truck for anything but a select few tools, especially in the modern age when Amazon can frequently have your replacement in the office waiting for you at the same speed as the tool truck.

50% off retail is a pretty common price band for used shit that still works fine. Don't act like this is special. You can sell a 20yo $100 HF engine hoist for $50 all day long.
This is totally wrong. We used craftsman or whatever until we got sick of it breaking and we could afford snap on/Cornwell, etc. There was zero opportunity cost.

I swear someone says this once a day to him:laughing::laughing::laughing:
But like a busted clock he's right twice a day. :flipoff2:

Anymore there are a pile of options out there for tools that are far cheaper than tool truck stuff with the same quality. It's fine to be a tool snob but don't act like work can't get done with lesser tools. A Pakistani with a worn out crescent wrench and some hand made tools will keep machine running same as a dude with 100k in strap-on debt. :laughing:

But like a busted clock he's right twice a day. :flipoff2:

Anymore there are a pile of options out there for tools that are far cheaper than tool truck stuff with the same quality. It's fine to be a tool snob but don't act like work can't get done with lesser tools. A Pakistani with a worn out crescent wrench and some hand made tools will keep machine running same as a dude with 100k in strap-on debt. :laughing:

No one said it can't be done with less. Buy a Craftsman ratchet use it for 30 years and sell it when you're done. You can't as proven above in xr-nuts post with the "professional" series ratchet. They don't support it anymore, where guess what Snap-on still does. So you're left with a broke tool with no repair parts available or a tool you decide to sell at some point and it's not worth dick. I'm far from a Snap-on snob but recognize there's some stuff worth paying for.

No one said it can't be done with less. Buy a Craftsman ratchet use it for 30 years and sell it when you're done. You can't as proven above in xr-nuts post with the "professional" series ratchet. They don't support it anymore, where guess what Snap-on still does. So you're left with a broke tool with no repair parts available or a tool you decide to sell at some point and it's not worth dick. I'm far from a Snap-on snob but recognize there's some stuff worth paying for.
Who the fuck sells tools? Unless you are going hungry there is zero reason to sell.

I do know of a few guys who had $100,000+ stuck into snapon tools and tool boxes and they got old and hurt. They were banking on getting lots of that tool box money back when they were forced to sell and never did.

Who the fuck sells tools? Unless you are going hungry there is zero reason to sell.

I do know of a few guys who had $100,000+ stuck into snapon tools and tool boxes and they got old and hurt. They were banking on getting lots of that tool box money back when they were forced to sell and never did.

People that don't hold onto them so long they are worth nothing:idea: There's a pile of 10-15+ year boxes on marketplace that just sit with crazy price tags on them. Boxes have crap resale kind of like power tools. Good hand tools however always have a decent resale. No way I'd keep everything once I'm out of the field just to keep it.

Reactions: DMG
Not that this is going to stop the argument, but here goes...:laughing:

Going tens to thousands in debt for tools is dumb, regardless of your place in life. There are so few specialized industries that require that kind of up-front outlay to be effective they are not worth speaking of.
Arguing that SO (or Cornwall, or Matco) aren't at the top of the heap with regard to ultimate quality on tools is also dumb. They are. Where I work we have something like 20 toolboxes that have everything from Pittsburg pauper to latest SO, and anyone who can't tell the difference is an idiot.
Does this mean that the Apex brands, or Tekton, or Milwaukee, or one of the mid-level Stanley brands aren't good enough for most? No.

How many of y'all own a Green Egg or a Traeger grill/smoker, when some POS from HD or Walmart would still cook good meat? You can get to 90% of what you want for less than 50% of the cash outlay, but for many things there is still value in that 10% if you are in it for the long haul.

Goddamn, Y'all act like most of you don't have an Apple/Samsung when some chinese brand import unlocked smartphone knockoff won't do 90% of the job, and by your retard logic that's exactly what you should be using:flipoff2:

Reactions: DMG

Who the fuck sells tools? That's like worrying about the resale value of pussy when considering a wife. :homer:

Find me rebuild kits for these ratchets. I'll take 2 in 3/8" and 2 in 1/2".

PXL_20240329_183943891.jpg

Everyone discontinues support for superseded items, it ain't just the brands that you don't like.

They didnt advertise it or sell it on the correct format.

See my post earlier in the thread. he sold due to he's dying of cancer. his shit brought at least 75% of new, some brought more than new(although only a few pieces) but still. try that with any other brand.

Shop for US made stuff if you see it locally, most of my Craftsman ratchets/chrome sockets were bought used over 20 years ago now.

No flex heads for me, that is what swiwel extensions/swiwel sockets are for.
This thread has inspired me to go through my tool collection and sort some stuff out, pops and I are both pack rats and have been buying tools for over 27 years now.

Here is what my extra/not used socket tool box looks like as of today...

I have two more boxes filled with additional ratchets/wrenches/pliers/screwdrivers as well.
Some US, some China/Taiwan/India/Japan.

I picked up a ton of USA Craftsman at a yard sale. Guy had 20-30 sockets sets each in 1/4 and 3/8 drive, SAE and Metric (mostly SAE sadly), shallow and deep, like 30 spark plug sockets, wrench sets, etc etc. I asked if he would take $100 for the whole lot and he said yes:eek: I will never run out of Craftsman USA sockets now and have plenty of sockets to cut up for specialty jobs or give to my kids to fuck around with. I think I have pics of it all somewhere...

Top Back Refresh