What's new

Rapey Snap-On Tools

I put them in the cart. :laughing:

if nothing else good comes from this bash fest, at least we're getting some good tool ideas passed around!
Your thread is in the wrong subforum go suck start a shotgun /end gary

I bought half of my snapon tools new and half used. But after using them for approaching 30 years, they are worth it. The people that go on about how overpriced they are and HF tools are just as good are the same people running chinese Maypops on their cars and wearing velcro shoes from walmart.
they are zippers and used trailer tires, I'll have you know :flipoff2:

I bought half of my snapon tools new and half used. But after using them for approaching 30 years, they are worth it. The people that go on about how overpriced they are and HF tools are just as good are the same people running chinese Maypops on their cars and wearing velcro shoes from walmart.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I put them in the cart. :laughing:

if nothing else good comes from this bash fest, at least we're getting some good tool ideas passed around!
If only there was a section for shop & tools on this site 🧐🤪

Edit, I bought a couple of these:

A fellow on YT has a channel called Tool Box Tours, love seeing others people organization ideas, and all of the tool candy.
Yeah those are great but take a deep drawer to use that type of holder. I don’t think it would be a good idea for me to rearrange my old main box after being set for over 30 years now. :laughing:

I have the short pliers tray like that in my mobile station. It's definitely nice if you have a spot deep enough for it.

I have the short pliers tray like that in my mobile station. It's definitely nice if you have a spot deep enough for it.

This should fit 2 of them side by side. At least it measured out.
Should clean it up a bit...
Have more pliers, these get used the most.

Attachments

• 20240330_111946.jpg
    20240330_111946.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
Since we talking bout taps... oh hey look a penny!

Have you guys tried these yet? It's like 6lb 7oz. Baby jesus blesses ever broke tap they remove.

They work, they're delicate, but we used them a bunch at my last job when we had to save a hole because the "part" with the hole in it was a ford transit body.
Mcmaster and MSC have them individually and also sell the fingers separately.
You do have to work them back and forth a bunch and use plenty of lube.

This should fit 2 of them side by side. At least it measured out.
Should clean it up a bit...
Have more pliers, these get used the most.

Outside my top drawer which is packed 2 layers deep at spots I didn't have a drawer deep enough till I got pretty far down. All those are full too lol

I started wrenching for a living in the early 80’s and that’s when I started buying Snap On tools, they were expensive then but I kept buying them.
When something would wear out or break I had a dealer in every week to take care of it, btw a good mechanic doesn’t break many tools you usually wear them out.
I still have everything I bought back then, it probably worth more today than what I paid for it along the way.
Nothing lasts longer and is stronger than Snap On wrenches and sockets. I’ll bet there’s not many guys here that have more Snap On tools than me and I’m I bought that stuff back when I did.
There are other brands today that are good quality and would probably work for the average guy but when you work on rustbelt shitboxes you need the best.

Edit; I’ll also add that I learned not to buy Snap On air tools, they suck… when they break the parts are obsolete and you have to throw it out. My IR231 that I bought in probably 1982 is still in use today and kicks ass. I also have some other air tools that are older than that and still work. Every Snap On air tool I’ve ever bought is long gone.

Last edited:
But the pliers or cutters are useless once the grip or cutting edge dulls, and it will only take one time to cause that.
I don’t know that is true. I know I’ve worn out a couple pairs of the SO flush cutters. If the HF version lasts 1/2 as long as SO it’s probably good enough for most people who don’t want to let blood over a ragged zip tie.
If we’re talking about the grip of pliers, I bought some of the Doyle extra long needle nose years ago and use them semi-frequently and they still grip good. I’d assume the icons are at least as good as those.

I don’t know that is true. I know I’ve worn out a couple pairs of the SO flush cutters. If the HF version lasts 1/2 as long as SO it’s probably good enough for most people who don’t want to let blood over a ragged zip tie.
If we’re talking about the grip of pliers, I bought some of the Doyle extra long needle nose years ago and use them semi-frequently and they still grip good. I’d assume the icons are at least as good as those.
I own a bunch of SO hand tools but only a few pliers /needle nose. The best side cutters/channel locks/needle nose etc I own are Knipex. I’ve yet to come across anything that’ll compare or compete with them.

It's weird cause I have some cheap pliers that work good but most don't last in the shop. There's a handful of Snap-on ones though that are not only good but like the best I've ever used, although IMHO most are just ok. Some things just stand out as being way better. Snap-on has the best duck bill pliers I've ever used hands down.

As I stated before Knipex is the way for cutters/pliers typically.

I've broken a lot of Chinese diagonal cut pliers, never a snap on set. I've also destroyed the grip on a lot of pliers. I've destroyed knipex trying to remove a stuck joint cap:homer:.

I've broken a lot of Chinese diagonal cut pliers, never a snap on set. I've also destroyed the grip on a lot of pliers. I've destroyed knipex trying to remove a stuck joint cap:homer:.

Time for you to step up the tool size:)
That XXL Knipex comes to mind...

I own a variety, granted they do not see field abuse. To date I have not broken one, if I need more grip power I step up to a better quality product (used HF extra long needle nose for a timing belt job and noticed their shortcomings - bought Knipex for the next timing belt change).

Edit; I’ll also add that I learned not to buy Snap On air tools, they suck… when they break the parts are obsolete and you have to throw it out. My IR231 that I bought in probably 1982 is still in use today and kicks ass. I also have some other air tools that are older than that and still work. Every Snap On air tool I’ve ever bought is long gone.

Snap-on PH3050 air hammer is the exception. Every other pneumatic from them has been horrible
Both of those. :laughing: Had a carlyle impact here for a year or two, but got dropped and broke the handle portion off. So I replaced it with the snappy version. That pos lasted about 14 months. long enough to get out of warranty(might have been 25 months, cant remember if its warranty was 12 or 24). So it went on the truck ride and got repaired. $250 later and its back. Same deal, lasted another year or two and was wore out again. So i fixed it again and took it home. It wont get used as hard there. Brought my good ir titantium quiet version down here and its been flawless. I almost bought another one for home and tossed the snappy on fbm. I love my air hammer so much I have two of them. one here and one at home. good stuff and the anvils are warrantied!

What funny is most of my OTC and Lisle tools were because they are Ford specialty tools that the manual called out that you had to buy.
I was never a big fan of a lot of the OTC stuff, but when I was a wrench, it was the only option.

For those of us that still like the rape van, these were my newest buy and I love them so much they are always in my pocket now when I walk the floor.

1711986276899.png

Top Back Refresh