What's new

Rapey Snap-On Tools

TrailTamer

🤣🖕🏻
Member Number
Loc
Down By The River
How do you justify to pay for them?

They're nice tools, but not $1,000 nice for a set of 44pcs 1/4" drive socket set in a meh case. I can get 10x of Tekton's 56 pcs set in a nice case for what they want for it.

The only time I will "shop" on a Snap-On truck if I need to warranty my broken Snap-On tools I already have (which I bought with school discount over 15 years ago). I shop Snap-On tools for something very specific and or specialized, such as the thread chaser for Dana 50/60/70/80 and many other axles' spindle but this is a rare occurrence. All of Snap-On truck guys I ran into end up don't like me :laughing:

Last edited:
Those who defend it because of the truck service financing when you make a living blah blah have just bought into the koolaid. There's no way their standard socket drive tools are worth what they're priced at. Sure their balljoint tools or some speciality tools are the right buy, but for the most part, wayyyy overpriced.

Rapey Snap-On Tools​

1711641921765.png

student discount was 70% when I was buying shit a decade ago
made their stuff much cheaper than the 50% that the other brands were offering

I honestly don't know how any of these tool truck guys stay in business. After a while most techs have the tools they need and just need stuff warrantied. Must still be enough green kids spending $20K on a tool box.

I've honestly broken more SnapOn and Matco shit than Tekton and other no-name Chinese brands.

I don’t think I’ve ever paid retail for SO tools. Sometimes I pay full price for Matco but I usually buy hand tools on sale. Most of my basic set was bought on student discounts.

You’re paying somewhat for the quality, but mostly for the warranty. The guy is gonna be here once a week so if you need a warranty replacement you aren’t driving anywhere or mailing or ordering online, that convenience is huge when you’re wrenching full time. Also if I’m in a bind and need something I can have my guy here in an hour with a phone call.

The only time I will "shop" on a Snap-On truck if I need to warranty my broken Snap-On tools I already have. All of Snap-On truck guys I ran into end up don't like me :laughing:

Back when I was turning wrenches for a living you either bought Snap-On, Mac, maybe MATCO off a tool truck or went to Sears, if you were lucky maybe an Industrial Supply place for S-K, Proto maybe Williams.

So I bought a shit load of Snap-On.

If I was starting now, you guys have so many more options for good tools at a reasonable price that weren't there when I was working. When I need new tools I rarely buy Snap-On, Harbor Freight is my first go to then on line.

I honestly don't know how any of these tool truck guys stay in business. After a while most techs have the tools they need and just need stuff warrantied. Must still be enough green kids spending $20K on a tool box.

I've honestly broken more SnapOn and Matco shit than Tekton and other no-name Chinese brands.
always feels a bit slimy to encourage the others at the shop to buy shit from the tool truck
but it keeps the guy coming around to warranty my shit even though I've given him a grand total of about 200 bucks
mostly in tips because jesus christ I don't want to deal with mail-order-warrantying all the shit I break

You’re paying somewhat for the quality, but mostly for the warranty. The guy is gonna be here once a week so if you need a warranty replacement you aren’t driving anywhere or mailing or ordering online, that convenience is huge when you’re wrenching full time. Also if I’m in a bind and need something I can have my guy here in an hour with a phone call.

IMO the warranty is moot when you can buy 10 sets off Amazon for the price of one SnapOn set.

I got tired of breaking my T30 on shitty GM brake rotor set screws. So I bought a box of 50 bits for pennies off Amazon and just chuck them when they break.

I ain’t mad if you can afford it. But I’d prefer to have something like Tekton’s set to sit in tow rig as it’s only $90, almost a throwaway if misplaced or go missing. :laughing:
my tight wad ass didn't pay anywhere near snap on prices for any of my shit. the only thing i ever got off the snap on truck new was when i traded some parts for a 1/4" ratchet.

I tried buying tools off the truck for 1 time cash payment. Sure $5 off anything $199 and up :homer:

It’s just a guy trying to make his payments from people making payments to him.

One day I’ll have a bjp1 but I’m not buying new.

I don’t think I’ve ever paid retail for SO tools. Sometimes I pay full price for Matco but I usually buy hand tools on sale. Most of my basic set was bought on student discounts.

I can have a replacement tomorrow at my door step by ordering off amazon, then warranty the other one...given the tool costs 1/10th the price in the first place, I can afford to just order a new one if I have a failure. Waiting a week for the truck, guy won't have it on the truck, then wait another week to get the tool back? ya that doesn't sound like a good warranty...a good warranty given the price being paid should be same day or next day in hand.

Back when I was turning wrenches for a living you either bought Snap-On, Mac, maybe MATCO off a tool truck or go to Sears, if you were lucky maybe an Industrial Supply place for S-K, Proto maybe Williams.
I bought a big Mac or Matco slide hammer tool set from my neighbor who’s a retired auto tech. He said I paid him what he paid for it new many years ago. ~$50

my tight wad ass didn't pay anywhere near snap on prices for any of my shit. the only thing i ever got off the snap on truck new was when i traded some parts for a 1/4" ratchet.
I think they were more ‘affordable’ back then but what do I know as I’m not that old.

I bought a big Mac or Matco slide hammer tool set from my neighbor who’s a retired auto tech. He said I paid him what he paid for it new many years ago. ~$50

I think they were more ‘affordable’ back then but what do I know as I’m not that old.

:flipoff2:

As an outsider looking in regarding hand tools:
Buying two of everything from Lowes brand/Home Depot brand/Harbor Freight/Craftsman; would take care of warranty issue AND be waaaay ahead financially because not nearly as much money is tied up.
Versus buying from SO; $1,000 for a 44pc 1/4" set?!!!!:eek::eek::shocked:

Top Back Refresh