What's new

Rapey Snap-On Tools

As an outsider looking in regarding hand tools:
Buying two of everything from Lowes brand/Home Depot brand/Harbor Freight/Craftsman; would take care of warranty issue AND be waaaay ahead financially because not nearly as much money is tied up.
Versus buying from SO; $1,000 for a 44pc 1/4" set?!!!!:eek::eek::shocked:
Yeah I been buying wrenches for homo depot lately I usually buy the out of 1/2 9/16 3/4 and 15/16. I have oodles of the other sizes that don’t get used.

I bought a big Mac or Matco slide hammer tool set from my neighbor who’s a retired auto tech. He said I paid him what he paid for it new many years ago. ~$50

I think they were more ‘affordable’ back then but what do I know as I’m not that old.

Back then they were rolling around in a $30,000 E series cut away, now they’re in a quarter million dollar class 6 truck.

Same, I just like the idea of not wanting three or four hands to use it.
Guess my image of them is tempered by my only experience with them being a coworker that got the big wire snap rings bound up and out of their grooves, I was able to beat it back apart and it did get fixed under warranty

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

my 12mm is toast. Just Fucking Gone :grinpimp: (02' Explorer)

Probably stuck in someone's radiator or windshield on rte 80 near Wells Nevada. :laughing:
I lost my OG Craftsman 12mm the other day. No idea where it went, and I had the set while tearing apart 2 engines. Hopefully not dancing around in a valve cover

Only thing I ever bought off snap on truck was a valve core tool.

Bought my entire snap on box and set from a kid fresh out of school who couldnt find a job in 2011.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

my 12mm is toast. Just Fucking Gone :grinpimp: (02' Explorer)

Probably stuck in someone's radiator or windshield on rte 80 near Wells Nevada. :laughing:
What is 12mm on a ford?

I dunno. its the quality and name brand for me. I've been buying Snap-On, Cornwell, and Matco for the better part of 20 years. But I also rarely break shit, my current dealer gives me good deals, and he takes care of me when I need something.

My most recent big purchase was a Snap-On 68" Epiq box for work, and I have a roll cab at home that's 10+ years old. Retails at 16K, sold to me at 7K.

snap on poors.jpg

How do you justify to pay for them?

They're nice tools, but not $1,000 nice for a set of 44pcs 1/4" drive socket set in a meh case. I can get 10x of Tekton's 56 pcs set in a nice case for what they want for it.

The only time I will "shop" on a Snap-On truck if I need to warranty my broken Snap-On tools I already have (which I bought with school discount over 15 years ago). I shop Snap-On tools for something very specific and or specialized, such as the thread chaser ( for Dana 50/60/70/80 and many other axles' spindle but this is a rare occurrence. All of Snap-On truck guys I ran into end up don't like me :laughing:

I’m on a quality tool kick lately. I’ve grown very frustrated with my husky/gear wrench/whatever line of tools. Ratchets don’t ratchet in the most awkward of positions or channel locks that slip.

I’m not buying off the truck, but buying used online. Its worth it to me.

I honestly don't know how any of these tool truck guys stay in business. After a while most techs have the tools they need and just need stuff warrantied. Must still be enough green kids spending $20K on a tool box.

I've honestly broken more SnapOn and Matco shit than Tekton and other no-name Chinese brands.
Done buying tools?!? Are you freakin insane?

Yes prices are high. You dont have to finance through snap on credit, you can throw on your own credit card with 0%

most basic sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers you can do fine with any other brand. I prefer some of the offerings from gear wrench and milwaukee cordless tools are hard to beat. There are a select few sockets and ratchets that are superior. The universal sockets beat out all the others - 1/4" drive and 3/8" drive universal sockets are the shit. Fine tooth ratchets and bit drivers are the best.

Diagnostic tools are also expensive but pretty darn good. MODIS has been the benchmark for a long time, not just for OBD capabilities but the 2 channel scope is excellent. Other brands have caught up and there is some decent competetion out there now.

I think they are still 'King' but the gap has narrowed significantly

I've bought plenty of SO shit new. Almost all of it is/was purchased on sale, typically 30-50% off. There's also the various clearances of older versions (I got my 7pcs. snap ring plier kit for a bit over $100 when the new quick release ones came out). I'll never buy a new box off the truck, too many divorced dudes selling them:laughing:
There's a few things I'll pay full price for. Typically smaller stuff that is hard to get elsewhere. Like this thing that I bought 2 days ago:
1711647198899.png

I've had one at work forever, I wanted one in my home box. Locking 1/4" drive handle. For all the times you need a nut driver in a shitty spot that's also an odd size. Interweb sirch says MAC makes one too. Tekton makes a locking extention, but not as good IMO.
I've also bought tons of auction tools over the years that are SO, MAC, Matco, Cornwell, S-K, New Britain. I'd rather have a quality old tool (assuming it's not shot) than a new chink tool if I can help it.
Tangent: New Britain was the supplier for NAPA until they closed. Old NAPA/New Britain tools are fucking awesome. /tangent

I buy HF stuff too, and NAPA, and Gearwrench, and other stuff, but I grew up with good tools working in the shop and all the Pittsburg and Amazon stuff just depresses me to hold in my hand.
Now, if you want to carry something in a vehicle, I'd go with APEX (Crescent, Gearwrench) Edge goes to Crescent as they come in a nicer to toss in a truck case.

Something like this
1711647750142.png

I've got a much older version of this that throws in a vehicle easy. Decent enough quality, though the ratchets aren't great. Though my version is probably 16y old so I'd assume the newer ratchets have less back drag and more teeth.

I just ran a truck account. He had my card on file, we had agreed upon weekly payments, 0% interest, and no real limit on what I spent. I was buddies with my driver though (former employee) and he knew I didnt NEED snappy tools as I use them for home wrenching not work. I never paid retail and always hustled on the BOGO deals with a discount on top of it. I amassed a ton of Snappy tools and a nice slide top cart. I'm pretty well topped out though, dont need much more, but the warranty is nice. I dont think their ratchets can be beat honestly and for precision engagement stuff like torx and allen I prefer their tools. I also really like their 14.4v line as its smaller than anything else out there on the market and fits in tight spots. The 3/8" impact is money. That said, I've been picking up a lot of Icon recently too...
20230415_155735.jpg

20230415_155719.jpg

:lmao:

Last time I was on a snap on truck I was interested in trading in my older snap on cordless 1/2” impact gun on a new one. It was a no deal when he said the new one was over $1,000 and he wouldn’t give me much for my working old one.

I sold mine on cl and bought a HD 1/2”
Milwaukee

I own a ton of snap on tools and three large snap on tool boxes as well. I have other brand tools but still buy snap on tools. I buy them off of eBay when I need something.

I refuse to buy hand tools or power tools from harbor freight. I stop in there every once in a while looking but just can’t bring myself to get any interest in them at all. It’s just crap shit and I’d rather white my ass with my money first then buy HF hand tools or power tools. I do buy stuff from them tho like the caster wheel furniture moving carts.

Anyway, you buy whatever makes you happy and if it’s HF tools, then you do you.

I refuse to buy hand tools or power tools from harbor freight. I stop in there every once in a while looking but just can’t bring myself to get any interest in them at all. It’s just crap shit and I’d rather white my ass with my money first then buy HF hand tools or power tools.
So you never bought there tools, but can attest to how they perform and hold up....

Interesting.

And we all have a thing we do that is financially irresponsible or just bad with money, yeah... this may be yours.

Yes prices are high. You dont have to finance through snap on credit, you can throw on your own credit card with 0%

most basic sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers you can do fine with any other brand. I prefer some of the offerings from gear wrench and milwaukee cordless tools are hard to beat. There are a select few sockets and ratchets that are superior. The universal sockets beat out all the others - 1/4" drive and 3/8" drive universal sockets are the shit. Fine tooth ratchets and bit drivers are the best.

Diagnostic tools are also expensive but pretty darn good. MODIS has been the benchmark for a long time, not just for OBD capabilities but the 2 channel scope is excellent. Other brands have caught up and there is some decent competetion out there now.

I think they are still 'King' but the gap has narrowed significantly
I think the wrench edge goes SO, and screwdrivers as well. I've had some pretty good other brand screwdrivers, and I don't like how they cam out of a fastener or how the tips get wiped out with hard use.
For a combination of how the fit the bolt/nut and how thin they are for a non-"thin" wrench I also prefer SO, but I always liked the old Napa Hand Tool (New Britain) wrenches for the same reason.

I like having cheap tools around. Makes it less wallet eating when I need to make a special tool.
But, I also have a mix of Matco, SO and craftsman pro (old stuff from when they were decent) that I usually find in my hand when wrenching.
The $ tools are better, even the hammers, and I tend to use them unconsciously even when the cheap tool cart is closer.

But I’m a hobbyist, not doing it for a living so I don’t have the $ toolbox to compare to my el cheapo. I bet they are nice. And like most of you I buy used $ tools and new knockoffs when I can’t find a deal on good used stuff.

On another note- I bought a Bauer brand 3/8 impact from HF for a road trip and race day tool. That thing is damn near as strong as my dewalt 1/2” and the batteries I got with it are WAY better than the yellow pieces of shit.
It’s also a lot lighter and shorter so I use it a lot now. If they made a 3/8 cordless ratchet I would sell off my dewalt and convert all to Bauer or Hercules.

I think the wrench edge goes SO, and screwdrivers as well
On wrench's open end, yes. But then, that's still a lot of money. I learned a long time ago that I'm much better off to find another way than try to forcefully turn a bolt with open end wrench...

I broke few of Snap-On #2 phillips hand screwdriver. I didn't have a wrench on it's hex base.... I also snapped a 12mm wrench in half although that one most likely was defective.
What is 12mm on a ford?
I broke my 12mm wrench on a 90's Ford Ranger rear drive shaft 12 points bolts on yoke.

Because when you're a broke ass mechanic trying to make ends meet and some dipshit engineer comes up with a new fastener or stuffed 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag you have to buy new tools to work on said fuckery in a timely fashion since that's how you make your money. And you can finance said tools on the truck instead of paying it all at once and by the time there is a cheaper, and usually shittier, alternative they've already come out with some other new stupid ass design that you have to buy another tool for. It's a vicious never ending circle of fuckery.

Because when you're a broke ass mechanic trying to make ends meet and some dipshit engineer comes up with a new fastener or stuffed 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag you have to buy new tools to work on said fuckery in a timely fashion since that's how you make your money. And you can finance said tools on the truck instead of paying it all at once and by the time there is a cheaper, and usually shittier, alternative they've already come out with some other new stupid ass design that you have to buy another tool for. It's a vicious never ending circles fuckery.
Yep... those are all words. I have just never seen them arranged like that.

What exactly are you talking about again?

I charge $200 an hour to turn wrenches. Currently sitting at a 2 week wait period.

Not a single one of those wrenches are the overpriced princess tools sold by the rape truck.

Some people know they are a good mechanic. Some people need to make others think they are a good mechanic because the bank owns all their tools. Meh. Says more about them than it does me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have snap-on because 50% school discount.

I have Mac because the tool truck driver showed up in the right place when I needed stuff several times.

I have SK because if I'm ordering online it's way cheaper and still US made. :flipoff2:

I don't have any tool trucks locally. I think a Snap-on guy drives out 100 miles once a month or so, and gets all the business since he's the only one.

i like good tools, just like i like fine guns. i don't buy the shit off the truck, that's just stupid.
but i do need to give a shout out to a set of impact sockets i got from home depot. those are some hard tough mother fuckers. they spin off Honda crank bolts like those monster sockets. I bought the husky deep set, great tool for the money

Top Back Refresh