What's new

Project Siclone

That's no shit. :lmao:

*kicks dirt :homer:

I was talking to a buddy in West Virginia yesterday about what I'm doing. He calls and says - in his West Virginia accent - "What are you up to, you sneaky sumbitch?" :lmao:

He had seen the build update on Facebook and gave me grief for posting build photos where I'm detailing what I'm doing. "I wouldn't have shown them a damned thing if I was you. Now you're going to have to deal with all the experts telling you how it's not going to work. I'd just build the damned thing and let them guess."

Last edited:
*kicks dirt :homer:

I was talking to a buddy in West Virginia yesterday about what I'm doing. He calls and says -in his West Virginia accent - "What are you up to, you sneaky sumbitch?" :lmao:

He had seen the build update on Facebook and gave me grief for posting build photos where I'm detailing what I'm doing. "I wouldn't have shown them a damned thing if I was you. Now you're going to have to deal with all the experts telling you how it's not going to work. I'd just build the damned thing and let them guess."
He's 100% right.

I'm like the less talented version of you in the rc crawling world so I deal with the same experts if I post things. Those that know me just go along, the noobs always challenge me. It's hilariously tragic.

He's 100% right.

I'm like the less talented version of you in the rc crawling world so I deal with the same experts if I post things. Those that know me just go along, the noobs always challenge me. It's hilariously tragic.

I'm JasonInAugusta from RCC.

I did things then that people said wouldn't work. :homer:

Last edited:
Welp...update.

Yesterday fucking sucked.

I decided to use a MiniDSP CSP 8x12 DL in the car. I bought it three years ago and never had time to work on my own shit. It's great for those that don't know how to tune because it has Dirac that does it all for you with a simple mic measurement. I'm sure you guys have seen home receivers with Audyssey built in. Dirac is so much better with what it does.

You don't have to do shit but use the software to route inputs to outputs set up driver types for each of the channels you're using, and then use the mic to measure 9 to 13 positions where you're sitting.

Then you tell it the output curve you want (with a text file that you enter into the software) and it will automagically set time alignment, apply FIR and IRR filters, as well as set output levels and EQ for each driver for the desired output response.

If you're in an area without an installer or tuner and can use a computer, you can get great results with this.

There's a step-by-step write-up of the process created by some of my buddies here. It's the "Do this and you can't fail" write-up.

Unless you're me. :homer:

Did everything. Followed every step of the instructions. After the tune was done I was pissed with the way it sounded. No midbass and no sub bass.

I re-measured a couple more times hoping that I'd get a different result. No luck.

I talked to Nick and he told me to "just throw a fuckin' Helix in it. You can do a full tune with those in 20 minutes"

Yeah, that shit didn't work.

Fought with it as well. Made no sense. No midbass and no sub-bass.

I almost texted Nick and Cody and said I wasn't going.

At 1:48 I set an alarm for 4:30 and tried to sleep.

Cody texted me after fucking 2 in the morning "Let me know when you get up"

"I gotta get to sleep first." lol

We hit the road at 5.
I complained about the audio regularly. I was so unhappy with it that I had it low enough to be just background noise - over the already dumb amount of road noise a stripped xB has.
1f926_200d_2642.png

At 7:30 in the morning I said “I don’t get it. It doesn’t have midbass or sub bass. It’s almost like…”

…and then it hit me that even though the filters were off in the processor, that the radio may default to filtered output after power loss.
Sure enough, it defaulted to a 100Hz high pass on front/rear RCA outputs. I was using the radio's front output to feed signal into the processor and sending left/right channel information to each of the output channels. All with a 100Hz high-pass filter on it. :homer:

Being the smart (and tired) one I am, I turned the filter off.

I, ummm, am not a smart man.

Suddenly full output of the 3000.1 went to that SQL-15 in the parallel 6th. Scared the shit out of both of us. :lmao:

So I was much happier. Did a quick tune by ear to get tonality sounding like anything other than garbage, made sure everything was centering properly, and dialed the sub in with the front.

Had one person ask “WHAT is in your dash? ALL midbass is above the dash.” Told them about the 6 1/2s in the dash and tweets in the pillars.

"No way!"

He extended his arms from pillar to pillar “It like a concert right here”.

Yup. That’s the point. :smokin:

Just getting started. Unconventional installs can be fun.

Now that things are sorted and the problem my tired ass couldn't solve is sorted out, I'll get it tuned tomorrow and get it where it needs to be.

Cody and I on the way back today. He was on over 24 hours of no sleep and probably got about 25 minutes before we headed out.
1661049629894.png

So yeah, that was today's adventure. The setup that people said wouldn't work kicks fucking ass. It'll get better when I add the midranges to the doors. The stage will pull wider. :smokin:

:laughing:

Well, that's a shitty way to get a thing to work :flipoff2:

Poor scion needs much love yet, but good to see you are chipping away at it still

Imagine two sleep-deprived assholes complaining about the road noise with me constantly interjecting about being pissed with the tunes being fucked up. Just a tired, shitty start to the trip. Then, 2 1/2hrs in, I wake us both right TF up by turning off that filter with the radio turned up. :lmao:

Mother. Fucker.

We were awake after that.:homer:

Last edited:
Yeah, without tricky electronics, tweeters pointed at your head would need to be pointed exactly right. To easy to fuck up for Joe garage installer.

Can you tell how much extra it puts in the highs to compensate for being covered? I doubt that material is acoustically transparent.

Yeah, without tricky electronics, tweeters pointed at your head would need to be pointed exactly right. To easy to fuck up for Joe garage installer.

Can you tell how much extra it puts in the highs to compensate for being covered? I doubt that material is acoustically transparent.

I'll make measurements outside and inside the A-pillar for comparison.

You should start using selective hearing card. Anytime you want to leave, "gotta get my hearing aid, temporary losing sound" walks away.

I'm curious to what I would able hear in these vehicles someday. Fucking cool how you come up with these new ways of making stereo works

Kudos for not losing control of steering wheel when off the filter

:homer: that shit happens to everyone, at least yours only cost you a $1000 unit removal and many hours of frustration :flipoff2:

I need a daily worth putting $$ into so I can get some decent sound in it. sure as hell aint doing it in the 2006 civic, and the Yukon's the kid carrier so i'll never use it in there

:laughing:

Well, that's a shitty way to get a thing to work :flipoff2:

Poor scion needs much love yet, but good to see you are chipping away at it still

See below.
:homer: that shit happens to everyone, at least yours only cost you a $1000 unit removal and many hours of frustration :flipoff2:

I need a daily worth putting $$ into so I can get some decent sound in it. sure as hell aint doing it in the 2006 civic, and the Yukon's the kid carrier so i'll never use it in there

I just did an infinite (trunk) baffle wall in a Civic with two 12s. Sounds amazing.

Small update on this shitbox.

The trim bezel for the shifter is silver on these things from the factory. The previous owner had sprayed it with black enamel. Sanded that stuff off and shot it with enough SEM satin black to make it black again. Not worried about being perfectly smooth, just getting a black "background" on it.
1662689294051.png

Then I broke out the West System resin and hardener I bought forever ago. This is a non-yellowing resin/hardener. Mixing is easy. One pump of each then mix it thoroughly. I used a small brush from Harbor Freight to apply the resin to the part....
1662689309321.png

...so I could apply this stuff. Chopped carbon fiber.
1662689500125.png

Let the resin tack a bit then sprinkled the chopped carbon on and pressed it into the resin.
1662689577621.png

I'll let this cure overnight then hit it with another layer of resin/carbon to fill any voids, then start the sanding/apply more resin/sand/apply resin process until it's smooth. I figure it'll be 2-3 days before this part is smooth. Fortunately I can let this thing sit while I work on other stuff.
1662689654493.png

Came out last night and applied another bit of resin and carbon so it could cure overnight.

This morning I sanded the high spots off and got it back to the same overall shape the part had to begin with then added more resin to start filling in the low areas.

There's a lot of ugly from the start to the final piece.

1662745302698.png

1662745316532.png

1662745325738.png

Came out last night and applied another bit of resin and carbon so it could cure overnight.

This morning I sanded the high spots off and got it back to the same overall shape the part had to begin with then added more resin to start filling in the low areas.

There's a lot of ugly from the start to the final piece.

1662745302698.png

1662745316532.png

1662745325738.png
When you and it down are there issues with voids or will you be doing a final resin coat over the smooth CF?

So a sprinkle covered donut is the look you are trying for? :laughing::laughing::flipoff2:
Not so much.

When you and it down are there issues with voids or will you be doing a final resin coat over the smooth CF?

I'm at a point where it's just a process of adding resin to fill the low spots and sand to smooth it out. Not sure how long that'll take. Add a layer of resin, let it cure, sand, then add resin again and repeat the process until it's smooth.

Not so much.

I'm at a point where it's just a process of adding resin to fill the low spots and sand to smooth it out. Not sure how long that'll take. Add a layer of resin, let it cure, sand, then add resin again and repeat the process until it's smooth.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sanded again and gave it a light layer of resin. I also added more carbon/resin to a couple of spots that I sanded through.

Starting to look like something.

_nc_ohc=4CneF2migW4AX9h1WoK&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

X8UzC4u&tn=rHnN-eUzQ_dgKDE3&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

1662820128310.png

1662820182982.png

you have way more patience than me.

This takes hardly any time. Mix/brush resin on, sprinkle carbon on. Do other shit while it cures.

Hit it with a 3” random orbit. Add more resin. Do other shit while it cures.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I spend about 15 minutes on it at a time. Most of the time is spent with it sitting and curing.

Welp...update.

Yesterday fucking sucked.

I decided to use a MiniDSP CSP 8x12 DL in the car. I bought it three years ago and never had time to work on my own shit. It's great for those that don't know how to tune because it has Dirac that does it all for you with a simple mic measurement. I'm sure you guys have seen home receivers with Audyssey built in. Dirac is so much better with what it does.
MiniDSP SHD :grinpimp:

Attachments

• 0912221035_HDR[1].jpg
    0912221035_HDR[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
MiniDSP SHD :grinpimp:

Noice!

I was going to clear coat the piece I just finished and the 2K clear also has to be mixed...and, once mixed, has a pot life of 48hrs. I don't want to waste it.

So...time to get the other bits done.

15 minutes of work, hours of sitting to cure.

1663013989259.png

1663014000921.png

Also had a local guy post about needing someone with a CNC or circle jig to help him with a baffle for four 18s. He came over yesterday and we (I) knocked this out for him. His red lines are the cutout for the sub, the blue lines are for a lip on the basket to fit into so he can mount them inverted. If you don't cut the recess for the lip the baskets will break when you bolt the subs down.
1663014107960.png

1663014119342.png

If I'm following another forum correctly, you'll be driving this up to VA for a small meet this weekend? And the Audi is coming too?

I'm only about an hour away. Never been to any sort of car audio event before.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh