What's new

Project Siclone

ProjectTwin

Member Number
I may as well drop this on you guys first...

I've never built a dedicated SPL vehicle. With the work I've been doing with Stereo Integrity on the Audi and the responses we were getting during the build and, more recently, after taking to a "show", people are going nuts.

The entire time I was building that thing I was told (at damn near every point in the build) that "it's not going to work"

In regard to the sub:
"Not enough airspace"
"Big subs are slow and aren't accurate"
"The motor is going to drag the ground"
"It's going to pick up road debris"
and so on...

In regard to sound treatment:
Guys saw I was packing empty voids that I couldn't apply deadener to with mineral wool. "You can get the same effect with properly applied deadener"
When guys saw I was doing 100% coverage: "That's a waste. You can get the same effect with 25% coverage"

In regard to the 3-inch wideband drivers in the kick panels:
That's too low.
There's too much separation between the mid and tweet.
Female vocals will suffer.

In regard to the fab work:
"Those birdshit welds will never hold" They were seeing welds we intentionally built high so we could smooth them down after making three passes on the bottom of that 3/16" plate and three passes on top. :homer:

So yeah...this build.

I had a budget of less than $5,000 to get a daily driver that I could build. With the back messed up it sucks getting in/out of the Chevelle or El Camino.

I picked up a 2004 Scion xB. This is "special" release series vehicle. Has a "Hot Lava" color.
_nc_ohc=2NI9BpEmY5sAX97DeB5&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

This one is also on some BBS wheels with stretched tires and air ride because apparently THAT'S what I need. :homer:

I didn't really want the airbags, but the thing drives nice, has great power (as good as to be expected from these things, anyway), and has AC that works.

It had an old Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS from 2013 in it along with a small amp and JL 10W1 in a sealed enclosure. The sub didn't work. I put in a Stereo Integrity SQL-15 in a 1.25ft^3 sealed enclosure that I had sitting around. Sounds decent for a commuter

I just installed a Pioneer DMH-2600NEX in the thing. Nothing spectacular, but it has CarPlay and Android Auto and MUCH better phone calls than the old unit.

So I have some parts (steering wheel, clock spring, and cabling) here to swap the steering wheel so the thing has steering wheel controls for the radio.

The airbags are kind of a PITA. There's no way to know how the thing is sitting and no frame of reference for anything in the vehicle. There's a control pad, but no pressure gauges to tell you anything. Have to hit the switches and get out to take a look at the thing to see if it's right.

So...I guess I'll drop the audio plan here.

Four speakers will be in front of me.

There will be 8 custom built carbon fiber 24s behind me.

These 24s will have 38mm one way linear travel (that's 70% BL, or motor force). They have over 100mm peak-to-peak stroke.

The 24 that went into the Audi? 30mm one-way linear travel.

The 24s are rated at 2,000 Watts RMS. Since I'll be using a Sundown Audio SALT-12 to power the 8 24s, and since it'll make up to about 24,000-25,000 Watts when wired to 1/2 ohm, these 24s will be seeing about 3,000 watts each.

I know people are going to say that I can't package 8 24s in that little-ass xB.

I know they'll say that I don't have the airspace and so on...

I also know that 8 24s with 4 inches of stroke are going to move a shitload of air. It's going to be violently windy.

So the initials SI are commonly used to refer to Stereo Integrity and it's a common thing for SPL rigs to get names.

Since it's using SI subs and it's going to be a windy bastard, we're calling it Project Siclone. :homer:

Last edited:
Stoked to follow along. Seems a bit excessive for this vehicle 🤣

I look forward to the packaging.

That's inane!:flipoff2:

I have 4 stereo integrity HT-18s in my theater and they shake the whole house down to 10hz. I can't imagine 8 24s in a little car.:smokin:

You guys ever see the video where they throw a cinder block in a front load washing machine during spin cycle. That's how I envision the body flex on this car when those subs are cranked up.

You guys ever see the video where they throw a cinder block in a front load washing machine during spin cycle. That's how I envision the body flex on this car when those subs are cranked up.
I love the redone vid of that poor machine with the cartoon faces

Add me to the "I don't know anything about car audio, but I can't wait to see the build" crowd! :flipoff2:

I really do want to know how you are going to fit 8 24" subs in that thing.

There is room for those subs easily. For being a small car that bastard has acres of space inside. Everything about the body is thin as fawk and tinny so you have your work cut out for you in reinforcement and sound deadening.

It's been a couple years since I was under the ex's xb but if I remember right you can probably fit 6-8 group 31s above & behind the rear axle once the spare well is gone.

Last edited:
I love those 1st gen xBs! My brother had a 5 speed manual one until he smashed it into a wall going around a corner too fast. Curious to see where you go with this. The stretched tires I could do without but I love the color!

And here i was hoping you mispelled syclone

:laughing:

Yeah, that's about the best I could do as far as a name for the thing.

YouTube folks seem to like a named project to follow so...
Don't care much for car audio anymore but I absolutely love watching the craftsmanship and innovation you put into these things.

Excited to see where you're going with this one :beer:

Appreciate it. I also have a van from PA that was sent here.

That's getting two 24s on 24-25,000 Watts as well. :homer:

I'll have to start another thread for that one. Will do that when I get the first video edited together. Have already started that video to kick off the YouTube series on that one. That van is the next build I'm working on. This little xB will get worked on at the same time because a lot of what I'm going to be doing to the two of them I'll have to do to both vehicles. Both of them will have an amp mounted in the same location and stuff like that.

In for the ride lol:smokin:

Gonna be a long one.

:lmao:

That's nuts. Drivers sticking out where windows would normally be?

All inside. My initial measurements from months ago said it's going to be tight to get them in, but they'll go. They should go. They fucking better.

If they don't I'll have to get creative and not mount them like I want. I want them mounted dual opposed so the moving mass of the drivers is cancelled out.
I knew what you were talking about when you said “wheels and tires”, “airbags”, “weld” and “steering wheel”. For the rest, i guess i’ve got some learnin’’ to do.

8 24" subs with 4" of cone travel going in.

Stoked to follow along. Seems a bit excessive for this vehicle 🤣

I look forward to the packaging.

Excessive?

Subwoofers are like firearms. Two is one. One is none.

I think it's perfect. :laughing:

Packaging is going to be fun.
100mm struck? HOLY FUCK!

Yeah. So 8 24" subs is 3,619 in^2 of cone area. Over 25 square feet of subwoofer cone area. 25 square feet that can move 4" peak to peak.

Absurd amounts of displacement. Hell, the 8mm additional travel I'll have with the subs that Nick is building for me vs the one I just put in the Audi, when calculated over the surface area of the eight 24s, is more displacement than the overwhelming majority of SPL/demo vehicles out there.

complete utter overkill, I like it.

There's no kill like overkill.

That's inane!:flipoff2:

I have 4 stereo integrity HT-18s in my theater and they shake the whole house down to 10hz. I can't imagine 8 24s in a little car.:smokin:

So...

What would you say if I told you this was going to be an infinite baffle build? :smokin:

This is gonna be epic!

Hopefully.
The first time he tries to adjust the volume knob on a bumpy road he's gonna blow out a body panel and his eardrums. :laughing:

Nah, just like the other vehicles I do, this will get torn down to metal and I'll start there. With this one I'll have to do a lot of structural work to the cabin. If I don't I'll do stuff like rip apart the firewall. :homer:

Rather than the typical crush beer can look you see on this site, this will be more of a frozen beer can, with the panels randomly pushed out from the airflow:rasta:

Not if I can help it.

You're gonna push the windows out if you crank it :smokin:

Post video. Can't wait to see what you do to this thing. :grinpimp:

I think one shattered windshield on video is a must.

Realistically I'll still compete in SQ competition with it because...well...it'll be capable of that as well.

All the talk about the stereo stuff and not a single pic of any of it!

Eight of these 24s.

_nc_ohc=ExBA1iT5s-sAX8xkueB&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Well, not eight of the IB-24s with only 30mm one-way linear travel, but instead eight custom built HS-24s (HS stands for Holy Shit :laughing:) with 38mm one-way linear travel and carbon cones. They'll be built to have a Qtc of .7. Absolutely perfect for what I'm doing.

You'll need to get a video of hamsters cruising down the hood bouncing to the beat

Blasphemy. Hamsters were Kia. Used when advertising the Kia Soul.

I love the redone vid of that poor machine with the cartoon faces

That one cracked me up.

Add me to the "I don't know anything about car audio, but I can't wait to see the build" crowd! :flipoff2:

I really do want to know how you are going to fit 8 24" subs in that thing.

Magic
200.gif

haha, same here.

suddenly my powered sub seems inferior. :laughing:

Build a huge horn sub on a trailer behind the ciclone?

There is room for those subs easily. For being a small car that bastard has acres of space inside. Everything about the body is thin as fawk and tinny so you have your work cut out for you in reinforcement and sound deadening.

It's been a couple years since I was under the ex's xb but if I remember right you can probably fit 6-8 group 31s above & behind the rear axle once the spare well is gone.

Easily, he says. Easily. :lmao:

I'll be running lithium for batteries. The air ride system HAS to be relocated. It may live between the bumper and bumper cover.

I love those 1st gen xBs! My brother had a 5 speed manual one until he smashed it into a wall going around a corner too fast. Curious to see where you go with this. The stretched tires I could do without but I love the color!

Yeah, I didn't really want the bags or give a shit about the wheels, but it does have a cool look. Color is nice.

I would peel the airdam off that the first time I came down my driveway

That's the great thing about it being on air. I can raise it.

I was rolling on the highway with it like you see in the pics. Had one bad joint at a bridge where the front suspension REALLY compressed and I heard the front scrape.

I've been driving it and finding the point it scraps on my normal drives and raising it up a little where the front lip would touch. The front scraped coming in/out of our driveway the first time I brought it home. I bumped it up a hair and it doesn't scrape now.

Fucker's still low. :laughing:

Didn't realize it was on airbags,
one rectangular box on wheels looks like the other
I guess if you have all the speakers facing forward and you need to stop in a hurry just turn the volume to 11!

Top Back Refresh