What's new

Project Siclone

Well…

I’m not going to Pulaski.

Got a call at 3:45 this morning that my dad passed.

If any of you assholes are in the central KY area and want to hear my POS, I could probably use a break. Brother and I have to deal with all his stuff. Going to be a busy few weeks.
Sorry to hear that, RIP.

Well…

I’m not going to Pulaski.

Got a call at 3:45 this morning that my dad passed.

If any of you assholes are in the central KY area and want to hear my POS, I could probably use a break. Brother and I have to deal with all his stuff. Going to be a busy few weeks.
Sorry about your dad passing, hope all the process doesn't get too complicated.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully all goes smoothly with the funeral and wrapping up the estate.

Aaron Z

Sorry about your dad passing, hope all the process doesn't get too complicated.

Dad lived alone. Just the brother and I handling stuff.

No fuss, no bullshit. We’re task oriented and doing what we need to do to settle things.

Sorry about your Dad. I hate dealing with estates. Hopefully it's not too bad for you.

Glad to hear it, settling an estate seems to bring out the worst in some people which makes a difficult task worse. :mad3:

Aaron Z
After witnessing several family contact ending estate divisions, it seems to be infantile or immature men, and the vast majority of women if they have any sense of entitlement or victimhood mentality.

PT, sorry about your dad, after mom died a bit back, dad put everything in a trust with my sister and I as beneficiaries. Even with that, the 130 acres of 5th generation land will be a family ender. I hope you and your brother have a relationship that will be unaffected by this turn of events and can keep going ahead as before.

My condolences to you and your family as well, good sir.

At some point, I'll be taking your advice on sound dampening for my Subaru as I will eventually be building a pair of T-lines enclosures with small subs for it. Damn thing already has buzzing parts with the music turned up a bit :laughing:

After witnessing several family contact ending estate divisions, it seems to be infantile or immature men, and the vast majority of women if they have any sense of entitlement or victimhood mentality.

PT, sorry about your dad, after mom died a bit back, dad put everything in a trust with my sister and I as beneficiaries. Even with that, the 130 acres of 5th generation land will be a family ender. I hope you and your brother have a relationship that will be unaffected by this turn of events and can keep going ahead as before.
Going to have to split up the land? That sucks

Decided to mess with this thing again. I made my way to Pulaski, VA on the 4th and let the SQ guys listen to what the internet says won't work. :laughing:

They loved the thing - especially the SQL-15 in the parallel 6th. I loved it too, and it served its job as a test mule well, but I want to change things up a bit.

The parallel 6th.
_nc_ohc=h_Y7DACSDg0AX9jmRu3&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

So now the 6th is out so I can get measurements from a fairly clean slate.
e3ea8bb7-a76f-419b-9dc1-961d98a58b23-jpeg.jpg

Here's a rough sketch of the plan. Of course there will be bracing, but that's the functional part of it drawn out.
fcd37d8d-4913-451b-8b82-9cbaa66f6460-jpeg.jpg

Another photo. Basically a horn-loaded IB enclosure for a pair of 24s. :smokin:
60d17920-2e06-4938-be09-f9825d7827e0-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to mess with this thing again. I made my way to Pulaski, VA on the 4th and let the SQ guys listen to what the internet says won't work. :laughing:

They loved the thing - especially the SQL-15 in the parallel 6th. I loved it too, and it served its job as a test mule well, but I want to change things up a bit.

The parallel 6th.
_nc_ohc=h_Y7DACSDg0AX9jmRu3&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

So now the 6th is out so I can get measurements from a fairly clean slate.
e3ea8bb7-a76f-419b-9dc1-961d98a58b23-jpeg.jpg

Here's a rough sketch of the plan. Of course there will be bracing, but that's the functional part of it drawn out.
fcd37d8d-4913-451b-8b82-9cbaa66f6460-jpeg.jpg
Can you explain to us dumbasses what you mean by parallel 6th? What advantage does it have over infinite baffle? New design is a parallel 6th? So many questions :lmao::flipoff2:

Can you explain to us dumbasses what you mean by parallel 6th? What advantage does it have over infinite baffle? New design is a parallel 6th? So many questions :lmao::flipoff2:

Parallel 6th means there are two ported chambers with the sub mounted on a baffle between them. The two ported chambers don't interact with one another, but work together to create the passband. One is tuned high, one is tuned low. Those two frequencies determine the passband. In this case the high side is at 83Hz and the low side is 17 1/2Hz. That's the enclosure in the first picture.

A series 6th has two ported chambers, but one chamber plays into the other and there is one port for air to move in/out of the enclosure. Since they work together, changing tuning on one also changes tuning on the other.

The parallel 6th has more efficiency over the sealed enclosure I had in the thing.

An IB "enclosure" isn't an enclosure at all. You're just separating the front wave created by the driver from the back wave. In this instance the front wave will be horn-loaded off the wall I'm going to use to separate the front wave from the back wave. I'll be able to do normal SQ listening with it like always, but I'll open the hatch for SPL type stuff. For the sake of the hatch. :homer:

Parallel 6th means there are two ported chambers with the sub mounted on a baffle between them. The two ported chambers don't interact with one another, but work together to create the passband. One is tuned high, one is tuned low. Those two frequencies determine the passband. In this case the high side is at 83Hz and the low side is 17 1/2Hz. That's the enclosure in the first picture.

A series 6th has two ported chambers, but one chamber plays into the other and there is one port for air to move in/out of the enclosure. Since they work together, changing tuning on one also changes tuning on the other.

The parallel 6th has more efficiency over the sealed enclosure I had in the thing.

An IB "enclosure" isn't an enclosure at all. You're just separating the front wave created by the driver from the back wave. In this instance the front wave will be horn-loaded off the wall I'm going to use to separate the front wave from the back wave. I'll be able to do normal SQ listening with it like always, but I'll open the hatch for SPL type stuff. For the sake of the hatch. :homer:

200.gif

your sketch won't work :flipoff2:

When you are the architect AND laborer…. The sketch will always work!!!!!
:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Had a guy looking for clarification about this. He added color to the sketch to understand it.

Blue is cabin space. Red is enviornment.
_nc_ohc=CGWhAnrdwhMAX_MBm2U&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

So I've had a pair of HS-24s here for years taking up space on the shop floor.

Yesterday I loaded them into the xB and went to see Nick.
_nc_ohc=M7IytwI5Pc0AX8yV6nq&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

We took the 24s over to the magnetizer in Sundown's side, reversed the leads, and sent 759 volts through the magnetizer. With the leads reversed this decreased the magnetic force of the motors and changed the Qts of the 24s from .4 to .7. Perfect for IB applications.
fPZQG-1&tn=Ubzqid_KCU3IbW2t&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

A quick measurement of TS parameters after pulling motor force from the subs. Was shooting for a perfect .7, but we couldn't get the magnetizer to settle at 760 volts. So 759 it is with a Qts of .689. Having the Qts off by .011 won't make a difference. :homer:
_nc_ohc=jEhqHKlb8hAAX9elDPK&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

While on the Sundown side I spotted some things laying around that Jake is working on.
_nc_ohc=Pj7dqV2U87sAX-KtiN0&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=wC4y73mkD-8AX_BeVSA&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Back in the Stereo Integrity shop Josh wrapped up a batch of carbon fiber 24s.
_nc_ohc=y0ZAzbjTjNcAX-bq6-Q&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

...and Nick was working on a custom 24 for a buddy of mine that sent in his motor from Incriminator. Crazy cool motor with ton of motor force a 4 1/2" coil.
_nc_ohc=jxcrl9jp9_QAX_AFU3t&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

The SI 24s use a 3" coil so Nick had to open up the cone for the 4 1/2" coil/former. Here he's laying out the location for the cut on the carbon cone.
_nc_ohc=5FEJzpWyxXkAX_-YX8p&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Then he realized he had a hole saw with a plug in it specifically for this task. :homer: Ran the hole saw in reverse to make the cut.
_nc_ohc=v42ZVXyUf5MAX9rQ-ED&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

...and it's pefect.
_nc_ohc=ojlANNWN5TYAX_QPFkL&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

By this time Josh was done with the 24s that were on the bench and Nick/Josh started on a batch of HST-15s.
_nc_ohc=R5Nxs5xFDWYAX8xbojd&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Top Back Refresh