What's new

Project Siclone

^^^^Congrats! Awesome to hear, and proof you're doing something right :smokin: Do they/do you let them link to your videos directly from their site? Seems like it'd be a win-win for them. Free-ish DIY videos made for them, and you get the extra clicks. Ignore if that gets too into the business side of details, it ain't important

^^^^Congrats! Awesome to hear, and proof you're doing something right :smokin: Do they/do you let them link to your videos directly from their site? Seems like it'd be a win-win for them. Free-ish DIY videos made for them, and you get the extra clicks. Ignore if that gets too into the business side of details, it ain't important

Yeah, I actually won a few hundred dollars worth of stuff by submitting sound treatment videos. They said they were the best videos that they'd seen in over 10 years.

I've actually dropped two videos this week. Forgot to post'm here. :homer:

Anything new? Hope all is well

Have been slammed. Lots of stuff going on. Dropped about 30lbs due to stress, stuff like that.

Built a F-150 that the owner can't stand to be inside of. He has yet to run it full tilt.

bump, any updates on this or the Audi?

No updates on this as far as audio. I DID put some silly lights and such on it. LED underglows. Also swapped all of the signals/indicators to LED. Got some switchback LEDs for the front markers that are like a little projector headlight when the parking lights are on and switch to amber indicators. Kind of neat. Also grabbed some sequential side markers for the front fender and some LEDs for the headlights that are like a white DRL and then go to an amber sequential signal when you signal left/right. Shit like that isn't normally my thing (I'm not an import guy), but it works on this little box.

Have been slammed. Lots of stuff going on. Dropped about 30lbs due to stress, stuff like that.

Built a F-150 that the owner can't stand to be inside of. He has yet to run it full tilt.
Take care of yourself first! You only get one try at this so make it a good one.

Also gonna need some pictures/specs on the 150. I’m picturing the rear seat of a 4 door removed and 2 24’s filling that space :lmao:

ditto to Panzer. thanks for throwing up some updates. take care of yourself, from what I remember you weren't a big dude in the vids, 30lbs sounds like a lot

ditto to Panzer. thanks for throwing up some updates. take care of yourself, from what I remember you weren't a big dude in the vids, 30lbs sounds like a lot

I went from 225 to 185. :homer:

So...40lbs.

Update on this thing:

I'm going to Hickory, NC this Saturday for the Sundown Show in Hickory, NC, but fell last week and I'm pretty sure I've got a cracked rib. Maybe two. It's been hurting like hell to breathe/cough/sneeze/hiccup/whatever so I've been taking it easy, laying around, and shitposting. Felt better today so I went out on pain meds and spent a couple of hours on my shitbox so I can drive it to the show and have some respectable sound in it.

The show info:
1660703941203.png

Nick will have the Audi there and have stuff on sale at the show.
1660706645979.png

Since I'm driving a personal vehicle to a car audio show I figured I should probably put some sounds in it other than the single 15 in a parallel 6th and the two 3-inchers in the dash. :homer:

From the factory this is what was in the dash...some 2 or 2 1/2" things.
1660704524135.png

I "installed" the Stereo Integrity M3 Carbons in the dash. Wired them to the head unit and laid them on shop rags. :homer:
1660704656954.png

A video of the 3s and 15. No tweets, no midbass. 3-inchers are off the head unit. All tuning done with the basic controls in the head unit. People that sat in it swore I had midbass drivers installed. Nope.

So today I decided to get some proper midbass in...by putting 6 1/2" drivers where the factory 2 1/2" units went. :lmao:

Stereo Integrity TM 65 MkIVs. Made a pair of 1/2" thick PVC rings on the CNC which I used to locate the drivers. Had to cut both HVAC vents but not a big deal. Sealed them back up later with HVAC tape. :homer:

Still some things to do here like seal the baffles and the HVAC vents, but at this point the 6 1/2s fit and I'm using them as gravity clamps while the adhesive on the PVC rings cures. These rings are bonded to the dash.

1660704471224.png

This is a picture from the fitment process. The large majority of the plastic inside this area was cut away.
1660705067311.png

Speakers wired and the dash back in. Initial pink noise tests are promising. I'll find a place for tweeters tomorrow.
1660705140896.png

Last edited:
Why are you not putting speakers in the doors?

I put 4's in the dash of the x's xb and 6.5s in the doors and 5 1/4's in the rear hatch. Sounded decentish for a tuna can. :laughing:

10-4, a dozen 8" mids per door? 1998 is calling!!!! 🤣

8s are in the works, but I'll be running quite a bit of stuff up front.

6 1/2s in the dash.
Tweeters (Stereo Integrity M25s) that you won't see. Hidden in the A-pillars
3" mids/widebands (Stereo Integrity M3 Carbons) that you won't see. Hidden in the door cards.
8s in the doors.
Stevens Audio 8s in the kicks.
Stevens Audio CompNEO mini horns under the dash

Basically the thing will have two different SQ systems. One with the Stevens horns and 8s that I can play for loud demos with the 24s.

The rest of it is all stuff that I can configure by selecting a tune and letting people hear various combinations of drivers.

It will be able to compete in Sound Quality no matter which drivers are selected out of the multiple combinations available.

so 2 different sets of 8s to not be played at the same time.. ??

will they sound similar.. or is one pair much better than the other pair

The Stevens MB8-2s are a pro audio style driver with accordion surround. Highly efficient and they work very well with the Stevens CompNEO mini horn loaded compression drivers. They're great for SQ but you have to know how to tune/tame them. A bad tune makes them unlistenable. I won state championships in single seat and 2-seat SQ with the Stevens stuff in the Chevelle. The main reason for running them in this build is to have them in the vehicle to keep up with the 8 24" subs that will be going in. :laughing:

The other 8s will be conventional half-roll units that can be used in multiple configurations with the Stereo Integrity drivers I'm installing. I can use this as a product demo vehicle by literally having every component driver in the line-up available to audition. With the 8 24s, of course. :lmao:

They will sound similar because I tune for a target output curve, but the Stevens HLCDs have a detail to them that is unmatched.

Last edited:
this really cant be overstated.

go easy
ditto. no upside-down feet on the headrest under dash work with your fawked up rib. Stick with the table saw/waist height stuff

you keep making me want an XB with audio in it. then I realize I have no time for another POS and too many hobbies already:homer:

ditto. no upside-down feet on the headrest under dash work with your fawked up rib. Stick with the table saw/waist height stuff

you keep making me want an XB with audio in it. then I realize I have no time for another POS and too many hobbies already:homer:

Oh, fuck no. :laughing: That's why I'm putting speakers in the dash and A-pillars of the xB instead of putting 8s in the kicks of the Chevelle and the HLCDs back under the dash. In no shape for that.

Right now everything is just as you said - working at table height.

Got tweeters in.

Hogged out a rough opening with an air saw.
1660767328205.png

Made some mounting plates from 1/4" PVC that are a press fit into the A-pillar.
1660767369279.png

Picked up some fiberglass screen material. This works as a “grille” to keep contour as well as serve as a backer for the suede.
1660767392154.png

Wrapping the pillar in 1/8" foam-backed suede.
1660767450267.png

Looks like the stock A-pillars I wrapped in suede.
1660767461111.png

Installed.
1660767505051.png

Alright...something I posted for those that said the tweeters were awfully high and would cause the stage to be too high.

They were basing that primarily off of this image where I'm holding the A-pillar above the dash. They saw the opening near the top of the windshield. Perspective throws things off.
1660791855869.png

Compare the above image to this one where it looks like the tweeter is near the top of the A-pillar.
1660791979757.png

But then it's much farther down in this pic...
1660792001034.png

So anyway...people were saying that the tweets are too high and would cause the stage to be too high for judging.

So I took this picture of the passenger side tweeter installed prior to upholstery. The tweeter is pretty much at eye level. My reasoning for choosing this location isn't based on height alone, but also on width.
1660792109542.png

The higher I positioned the driver's side tweeter in the A-pillar, the farther from the center of the vehicle it moved. Meaning it was not only moving up, but also moving (in the case of the driver's side tweeter) moving to left - which widens the soundstage.

It also moves farther back.

Now this is where it gets fun.

In the below picture there's a hole cut in the door card. Months ago I stripped this section of the driver's door and rough cut an opening for a 3" mid to be aimed on-axis to the listening position. The tweeter that I put up high in the A-pillar is now pretty much vertically aligned with that 3" location. If you look at where the 6 1/2 is located in the dash (above the air vent) you can see how much stage width I'm gaining here.
1660792360484.png

Now, if you go back to this image take a look at the vertical line from the tweet down to the same location on the door in front and above the silver window switch panel. I've extended the stage width by moving the tweets higher (which also moved them physically wider in the vehicle) and, once the 3" mids are installed in the doors the effect will only get better.

1660794706270.png

I've already had people say that the mid and tweet are too far apart. I just remind them that I literally put the same 3" mids in the KICK PANELS of the Audi. :laughing:

This is much easier in comparison. :homer:

I'll get an amp and processor installed tomorrow and throw a quick tune on it.

I've had people ask if the 1/8" foam-backed suede will muffle the tweeters. I'll make measurements to show them that it doesn't hurt.

Last edited:
That post must be in response to an audio forum or bookface group because nobody here is picking you apart.

It's amazing how many keyboard experts there are out there. Installed a deck and speakers from crutchfield in their mom's Buick and suddenly they are SQ judges. :laughing:

I've been doing this shit on a basic bitch level for 30+ years and have a decent grasp on the how's and why's you're doing things and know you're on a whole 'nother level than I'll ever be on so puting that together means I don't question your judgement, let alone challenge it. Online experts are wild. :lmao:

It's amazing how many keyboard experts there are out there. Installed a deck and speakers from crutchfield in their mom's Buick and suddenly they are SQ judges. :laughing:

I've been doing this shit on a basic bitch level for 30+ years and have a decent grasp on the how's and why's you're doing things and know you're on a whole 'nother level than I'll ever be on so puting that together means I don't question your judgement, let alone challenge it. Online experts are wild. :lmao:
Its the audio equivalent of "needs more triangulation". :laughing:

That post must be in response to an audio forum or bookface group because nobody here is picking you apart.

Pretty much. Anyone that knows me knows that I do stuff that is unconventional. I've grown accustomed to hearing "it won't work", but the part of me that likes to show the how and why of what I'm doing so others can maybe get something out of it...well, it gets a little frustrating trying to explain something that's simple to me. The Audi's subwoofer situation is a prime example.

It's like...
1660834029735.png

Its the audio equivalent of "needs more triangulation". :laughing:

The argument that's being made is that the future location of the mid (in the door) and the physical location of the tweeter are too far apart and that you want them as close as you can get to one another so you can get the best sound.

The funny thing is that if I wasn't showing people what I'm doing they'd have nothing to complain about.

Literally every speaker placement in this vehicle is unconventional. Most people would put the 6 1/2s in the doors, 3" mids in the dash, and tweeters on pods inside the A-pillars. I'm taking a different approach that's going to kick ass.

As I said in the last post, I didn't just pull the tweeter and midrange locations out of my ass. There IS a method to the madness.

What's funny is that for every person that says "That won't work, you should do this instead", there are guys that have heard stuff I've built that doesn't "make sense" that speak up and say "just wait". :laughing:

Here's an excerpt of a Facebook conversation. This is after the mid/tweet separation discussion and people being worried about airbags in the A-pillars that don't exist.

Mario is a buddy of mine. Charles as well. They'll both call and talk about stuff they're working on, I'll offer a solution that I would do, they start in with "wait...what?" and then I'll go into more detail. That's when "Man, I wish you were closer" comes out.
2ED9D989-956E-4AE1-8CBF-4BDE744D4AB8.png

Top Back Refresh