What's new

Musk and Twitter

Like guns, constitution or God? Extreme right
Dislike or have no public opinion supporting the left policies? Extreme right

Yeah seems like traditional American values are alt right or extreme now. I only see extreme left having any political influence in our politics.

Like guns, constitution or God? Extreme right
Dislike or have no public opinion supporting the left policies? Extreme right
Which is dangerous.

Their ARE people on the far right, and we need to be aware of those voices and recognize those people as the arbiters of control, same as the lefties. They show the same desire to control the narrative and control the people.
Need an example? DeSantis.

Which is dangerous.

Their ARE people on the far right, and we need to be aware of those voices and recognize those people as the arbiters of control, same as the lefties. They show the same desire to control the narrative and control the people.
What is the radical policy Desantis is pushing?

Which is dangerous.

I'm not sure your example is of a person controlling the people?

What is the radical policy Desantis is pushing?
Death of 1000 cuts, as it always is.

The Florida government can now tell you where you can protest and/or picket even if you're on public property simple due to geographical location to property you are not on.

His use of the government as a weapon against Disney was scary, no matter how much I dislike Disney.

Its scary we give our government so much power.

The Florida government can now tell you where you can protest and/or picket even if you're on public property simple due to geographical location to property you are not on.

His use of the government as a weapon against Disney was scary, no matter how much I dislike Disney.

Im not sure shutting down protests outside people’s homes is a bad thing.

Disney got involved in politics and got their special privileges smacked down. They are now being held to the same standards as everyone else. Thats not very scary in my mind and hardly a misuse of political power.

Im not sure shutting down protests outside people’s homes is a bad thing.

Disney got involved in politics and got their special privileges smacked down. They are now being held to the same standards as everyone else. Thats not very scary in my mind and hardly a misuse of political power.
Why not end all special privileges?

Why can't I hold a sign in public property, or say what I want in an area my taxes go to support simply because it's close to private property?
I aint concerned about now. I'm concerned about 5 years from now how that law will be utilized and Blackrock is the largest private property owner in the western hemisphere, followed by Billy gates.

It's already illegal to protest in roadways in Florida. If they are in a neighborhood and can't protest on the road, that only leaves private property.

Why not end all special privileges?

Why can't I hold a sign in public property, or say what I want in an area my taxes go to support simply because it's close to private property?
I aint concerned about now. I'm concerned about 5 years from now how that law will be utilized and Blackrock is the largest private property owner in the western hemisphere, followed by Billy gates.
I’m good with ending all special privileges. Hard to say that was an example of weaponizing the gov though.

From what I read about the bill in the story you posted the law applies to in front of private residences. I don’t think you have a constitutional right to block my driveway and traffic in my neighborhood as you stand in the street to protest in front of my house. If I can run your ass over with impunity then I maybe okay with it.:laughing:

If I can run your ass over with impunity then I maybe okay with it.:laughing:
Seems like that could lead to some interesting madmaxx-esque escalation.

"I'm gonna protest with a spike strip!"
"I'm gonna commute with solid rubber tires!"
"I'm gonna protest with a k-rail!"
"I'm gonna commute with a kill dozer!"
"I'm gonna protest with mines!"

...etc.

Seems like that could lead to some interesting madmaxx-esque escalation.

"I'm gonna protest with a spike strip!"
"I'm gonna commute with solid rubber tires!"
"I'm gonna protest with a k-rail!"
"I'm gonna commute with a kill dozer!"
"I'm gonna protest with mines!"

...etc.
Exactly. We are stuck in a cycle of weaponization and revenge. Doing nothing but sticking more laws on the books and striking none.

That way anything and everything can be a crime, but the ones that get enforced will be up to the bias of the power wielder. And the pendulum swings. Chaos for the sake of chaos.

Wanna impress me? Stop telling me what I can't do. Never wanted to protest on a sidewalk outside of a random Florida house until now.

Exactly. We are stuck in a cycle of weaponization and revenge. Doing nothing but sticking more laws on the books and striking none.

That way anything and everything can be a crime, but the ones that get enforced will be up to the bias of the power wielder. And the pendulum swings. Chaos for the sake of chaos.

Wanna impress me? Stop telling me what I can't do. Never wanted to protest on a sidewalk outside of a random Florida house until now.
People bitch about Republicans not doing anything when they have political power. Laws are a mechanism used by the gov to “do” something.

I see Desantis fighting back against dumb fuck lefty mobs trying to intimidate and harass people at their homes.

this might end up being perceived as "well, I agree with it, so I'm okay with gov't using power..."
1 - Disney was given special treatment by gov't. I'm not 100% sure that rolling that back is right wing control
2 - if gov't had never prevented people from defending their property, the protesting thing may not be an issue. I.e. - it's a gov't solution to a gov't create problem. Rather than rolling back the problem, they create a pseudo solution.
If a bunch of people were protesting outside my house - harassing me - I'd want an ability to make that stop. Isn't that (in part) what gov't is allotted as a power? I realize it bends the idea of protecting the 1st amendment a bit.

Sidewalks and utilities are built on easements or right of ways but the homeowner still owns the land.
Typically the sidewalks and utilities are in the ROW which isn't owned by the homeowner. For example, on my street, the ROW is 10'-0" wider than the street on each side. Therefore my property starts 10' in from the curb. That 10' is where they do the utilities, sidewalks etc.

People bitch about Republicans not doing anything when they have political power. Laws are a mechanism used by the gov to “do” something.

I see Desantis fighting back against dumb fuck lefty mobs trying to intimidate and harass people at their homes.
Yeah, that's what i see him doing RIGHT NOW.

Do I think he is intentionally being malicious? No. But it is consolidating and collecting government power that they didn't have previously.
Power in conflict with the first ammendment.
Power that can be used to control simply because an empty suit decided today is the day that these words mean something "a little different."
Combine that with a real effort to consolidate private property ownership...
I'm sure he thinks he is helping. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on him. I'm not sure what I would do in his steps. I know people attempting to intimidate u.s. Supreme Court justices at their homes is absofuckinglutely intolerable though, so on one hand I get it.

You had me until the last sentence...

If you were in the random Florida house... how would you respond?

Typically the sidewalks and utilities are in the ROW which isn't owned by the homeowner. For example, on my street, the ROW is 10'-0" wider than the street on each side. Therefore my property starts 10' in from the curb. That 10' is where they do the utilities, sidewalks etc.
caveats exist...
1 - don't shovel that sidewalk in certain municipalities? That's a fine.
2 - someone gets hurt on that sidewalk? You might be liable
3 - you get to pay taxes on that property, ROW or not.

Yeah, that's what i see him doing RIGHT NOW.

Do I think he is intentionally being malicious? No. But it is consolidating and collecting government power that they didn't have previously.
Power in conflict with the first ammendment.
Power that can be used to control simply because an empty suit decided today is the day that these words mean something "a little different."
Combine that with a real effort to consolidate private property ownership...
I'm sure he thinks he is helping. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on him. I'm not sure what I would do in his steps. I know people attempting to intimidate u.s. Supreme Court justices at their homes is absofuckinglutely intolerable though, so on one hand I get it.

conceptually... i agree. But your angst in the statements above aren't really in line with the "right wing" use of gov't, per se.

you're off. need better examples

one of the two, you are falsely misrepresenting

incorrect.

incorrect.

Not always.

My property is made up of two parcels that were combined about 10 years ago. The original parcel was broken out in a survey in the mid-80's and shows the property line to the middle of the road, obviously with an easement. The 2nd, adjoining parcel shows the property line offset approx. 20 from the centerline of the road. I've worked with hundreds of properties and surveys and they're all over the place depending on when, where and who platted it.

Not always.

The 2nd, adjoining parcel shows the property line offset approx. 20 from the centerline of the road. I've worked with hundreds of properties and surveys and they're all over the place depending on when, where and who platted it.
then it wouldn't be a ROW. ROW is an easement and doesn't confer ownership

Not always.

My property is made up of two parcels that were combined about 10 years ago. The original parcel was broken out in a survey in the mid-80's and shows the property line to the middle of the road, obviously with an easement. The 2nd, adjoining parcel shows the property line offset approx. 20 from the centerline of the road. I've worked with hundreds of properties and surveys and they're all over the place depending on when, where and who platted it.
What state? The only time I’ve seen a PL in the center of a road it was a private road and not a public one. Usually part of some planned development. Even areas here where they measure the setback from the CL of the ROW still don’t have the PL at it.

Top Back Refresh