What's new

Motortrend!

details? and congrats :smokin:
Thanks man. Basically I have to go get his ratty 72 nova and get it running and driving enough to do a burn out and I have 30 days to do it. It has no engine and I can do whatever.

There's a bunch of videos and livestreams on YouTube about it. Prolly best to YouTube search 'richard holdener project nova'

I'm thinking of using only what I have on hand. And I don't have no big blocks. Haha
oh great, some CARB compliant nonsense :shaking: is tire smoke even legal in CA these days or does that mean you will need to install a diesel genset under the hood and hook up a water-based smoke machine from the DJ booth by the rear tires? :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

if it's what you have on hand, does that mean turbo(s) will be involved? :grinpimp:

oh great, some CARB compliant nonsense :shaking: is tire smoke even legal in CA these days or does that mean you will need to install a diesel genset under the hood and hook up a water-based smoke machine from the DJ booth by the rear tires? :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

if it's what you have on hand, does that mean turbo(s) will be involved? :grinpimp:
Hahahah. Yes. And I will put like 13 catalytic converters inline, sacrifice a vegan virgin and use her pubic hair as fuel.

The #1 contender in my mind is something with a turbo.

Hahahah. Yes. And I will put like 13 catalytic converters inline, sacrifice a vegan virgin and use her pubic hair as fuel.

The #1 contender in my mind is something with a turbo.
alright, that would be fucking awesome if you used blown/roached out cats for the exhaust :lmao: California Special

alright, that would be fucking awesome if you used blown/roached out cats for the exhaust :lmao: California Special
Haha. Oh man. I've got enough of those to do that. You give me ideas! Here's a screenshot from a video I recorded of the motor I'm thinking. Hehe
Screenshot_20220502-191354_Video Player.jpg

No talk of new dead or roadkill?

Loved ded wish they would have spent some more time on it but who doesn't want a monster truck.

Roadkill: love the c2 vett, looks like it will be a fun project if they don't burn it down. Had to laugh at Cali masks.

Last edited:

Loved ded wish they would have spent some more time on it but who doesn't want a monster truck.

Roadkill lobe the c2 vett, looks like it will be a fun project if they don't burn it down. Had to laugh at Cali masks.

Watched RK, didn’t get to watch DED yet.

How many dream cars does finnegan have exactly?

Watched RK, didn’t get to watch DED yet.

How many dream cars does finnegan have exactly?

He's one of those that everything is a dream car.

The c2 and the caddy are sweet though. Interested to see where he goes with the trophy truck.

huh, if roadkill isn't going to be at drag week, that really must mean road kill is dead. and with tony off hot rod garage, that's liable to be the end of that show as well.

damn and lame.

Nah, Fin used to take off for DW. Nothing new.

That Bronco was in my town yesterday.
Dave is my spirit animal

Roadkill: love the c2 vett, looks like it will be a fun project if they don't burn it down. Had to laugh at Cali masks.
DED is ripping right now. They're actually doing something besides random road trip.

I can't watch RK anymore because all they do is "hey got this old beater let's see how far we can make it" "Oh we didn't make it to our destination at all lol" Some of their greatest episodes were because they actually accomplished something and didn't set themselves up for failure.

And honestly I can't relate with Finn anymore, I get it, if you don't advance you're falling back but I'm a scumbag who doesn't care about cars that cost more than my first house.

It was lightning in a bottle and sadly I think trying adapt for TV killed it

DED is still cool to me, I get that they gloss over details that would be interesting to us on here, but for a half-hour show that needs a payoff, whatever. Fred and Dave obviously love what they do and I don't mind being a small part in helping them do that.

Roadkill for me was the Raunchero up to Alaska, and the other 'get this piece of shit running and let's take it somewhere' adventures. MT literally put a whole other show together with a guy that just went to junkyards to find cool shit that could be brought back to life. I have no problem if Roadkill sends an advance scout to check out a potential car. Find something that isn't a total shitbox, crank it over and compression test it a few times off camera to make sure it's viable, send the guys out and have them rehab it in a parking lot enough to make it 800 miles back to wherever it needs to go, let them deal with shit interiors and exhaust that needs earplugs. I don't need the drama of 'we bought this sight unseen'. Just do stuff that the average mechanic could do to fly out and maybe road trip a pile back home, and I'd watch that all day long. A mostly restored C2 vette on a lift ain't that. Not really interested in half the episode being about getting the ride height right on a 'roadkill' car, there are plenty of other shows to watch for that kinda content.

And burnouts. For me that gimmick is done. Cool, the engine runs and it spins the tires for a short time. Fuckin drive it somewhere.

I'm still in on the subscription, it's still $2/month for me, and if I'm really starved for content the old Top Gear stuff or Richard Hammond's BIG is fine to watch. But what I loved about the old Roadkill isn't doin' it anymore.

edit: I still thought Faster with Finnegan was mostly entertaining, and I watch most of his YT channel also...they're just doing the hustle that any independent creator is doing and trying to balance sponsor stuff with content. It hasn't lost me yet but the last one with the welder cart build put me to fuckin sleep.

Last edited:
Haha. Oh man. I've got enough of those to do that. You give me ideas! Here's a screenshot from a video I recorded of the motor I'm thinking. Hehe
Screenshot_20220502-191354_Video Player.jpg
The dirty old valve cover reminds me I saw an early 90s Chrysler turbo something or other at the junkyard last week.

I don't need the drama of 'we bought this sight unseen'. Just do stuff that the average mechanic could do to fly out and maybe road trip a pile back home, and I'd watch that all day long.
go watch vice grip garage on youtube if you havent already. best content out there for that sorta stuff

do a build thread here, sounds fun

better yet film it and stick it on youtube. this is your chance to become famous :flipoff2:
Yeah. I was thinking it. I'm not the one to ever catalog my builds. I'll have to see what content Richard wants for his channel first.

DED is still cool to me, I get that they gloss over details that would be interesting to us on here, but for a half-hour show that needs a payoff, whatever. Fred and Dave obviously love what they do and I don't mind being a small part in helping them do that.

Roadkill for me was the Raunchero up to Alaska, and the other 'get this piece of shit running and let's take it somewhere' adventures. MT literally put a whole other show together with a guy that just went to junkyards to find cool shit that could be brought back to life. I have no problem if Roadkill sends an advance scout to check out a potential car. Find something that isn't a total shitbox, crank it over and compression test it a few times off camera to make sure it's viable, send the guys out and have them rehab it in a parking lot enough to make it 800 miles back to wherever it needs to go, let them deal with shit interiors and exhaust that needs earplugs. I don't need the drama of 'we bought this sight unseen'. Just do stuff that the average mechanic could do to fly out and maybe road trip a pile back home, and I'd watch that all day long. A mostly restored C2 vette on a lift ain't that. Not really interested in half the episode being about getting the ride height right on a 'roadkill' car, there are plenty of other shows to watch for that kinda content.

Deadlines. They’re all so busy now that it’s constantly deadlines. They gave up and trailered the car because they had to be somewhere. They threw a brand new trans in it cuz of deadlines. Etc.

Deadlines. They’re all so busy now that it’s constantly deadlines. They gave up and trailered the car because they had to be somewhere. They threw a brand new trans in it cuz of deadlines. Etc.

Seems like the time-line was the original 'reason' and now its we don't care or want to deal with it. Or we have a fully built engine and we don't want to destroy it. Giving it away we don't like it yada yada yada.

That guy is fucking insufferable. I can't watch it. His schtick is terrible.
Been doing that sort of shit all my life and his show is pretty relatable and entertaining to me.

Yea it gets a little repetitive and corny but it's working out for him and I can't blame him, seems to be making a decent living at it.

Alex Taylor will be replacing Tony Angelo on Hot Rod Garage, Lucky will still be there.

Guess we'll see how that goes.
That actually has potential to be pretty funny. His funny old man style might go well with her whatever it is. Or it could suck.

Hmmm, not sure about that deal. Freiburger seems to like her, seems like he's mentioning her fairly often here or there on IG, and he was talking her up today in announcing her joining the gang. I've never watched her youtube, but just browsing through her vids now I don't see her really doing any wrenching. Seems like she's a good driver, she seems to have decent car knowledge, and she does seem comfortable talking about car stuff on camera. However, in her youtube vids everyone else does all the wrenching. Not sure how that fits on HRG. Maybe they change up the HRG format a bit? Lucky builds it, she drives it?

That actually has potential to be pretty funny. His funny old man style might go well with her whatever it is.

Or maybe this is it, maybe she and Lucky just have good chemistry and it makes up for the lack of (my limited perception) wrenching ability.

Or it could suck.

Or it could suck.:lmao:

Or maybe this is it, maybe she and Lucky just have good chemistry and it makes up for the lack of (my limited perception) wrenching ability.
The vibe I get from all of these entertainers is that they are way more competent at wrenching than they let on because "most viewers" don't wanna hear rambling about 60s wedge head combustion chambers and the quench implications, the evolution of drag racing suspension geometry, body work tips and tricks or how everyone was swapping the T-bird supercharger onto their V6 'Stang back in the day.

Top Back Refresh