What's new

Motortrend!

No idea about F&F. How they started or if they are friends away from the camera.
I think Dave was Mike's boss at one point in their magazine days, so Dave likes to tell him to do stuff. I actually think their awkward, not really friends relationship adds to some of the banter and tension. In my opinion. I like Mike's style better. build cool stuff and make it work. Dave likes quoting his impressive knowledge of part numbers for 60s and 70s hot rods. Together they could do great things, but they aren't on the same wavelength sometimes.

The tires that were on it were new and were trash. The rims and the axles were trash. He had already swapped the axles once for some in better condition. Ndt’s with tubes suck. Fred thought about getting custom rims, Couldn’t really find anybody who could make a decent rim to fit those tires.

Trash as in they were stiff and heavy? Or where they literally not use able?

Obviously a modern wheel and tire is much better, I just like the old school parts and look on those.

Even they basically said in the episode, it still doesn't do anything well still, so what's the point? At least it looked cool before the at's and stink bug rake :laughing:

I'm going through old episodes of Roadkill that I missed, and I am on the Pike's Peak one now. I came to an epiphany!

My old RV runs rich AF when hitting altitude. Why can't I plumb in a vacuum hose to the interior with a valve to open when it starts acting like a rich pig? Get to the hills and open it wide to allow for a leaner mix!:idea:

I'm going through old episodes of Roadkill that I missed, and I am on the Pike's Peak one now. I came to an epiphany!

My old RV runs rich AF when hitting altitude. Why can't I plumb in a vacuum hose to the interior with a valve to open when it starts acting like a rich pig? Get to the hills and open it wide to allow for a leaner mix!:idea:
It would be quicker and easier to just swap jets :rasta:

While driving???
Gotta get gas eventually....

Though I knew what jets I wanted to swap, had them in the toolbox, only had 2 boxes on top so that I could get to them, and didn't change them for the several days above 5k feet with my sea level tune.

As long as I'm driving at or near wot the extra rich goes mostly away. Turbo would make up for the lack of air tho

Trash as in they were stiff and heavy? Or where they literally not use able?

Obviously a modern wheel and tire is much better, I just like the old school parts and look on those.

Even they basically said in the episode, it still doesn't do anything well still, so what's the point? At least it looked cool before the at's and stink bug rake :laughing:
Even with tubes couldnt hold air, were as round as swampers. Fred likes driving old junk and he would not drive it.

I think Dave was Mike's boss at one point in their magazine days, so Dave likes to tell him to do stuff. I actually think their awkward, not really friends relationship adds to some of the banter and tension. In my opinion. I like Mike's style better. build cool stuff and make it work. Dave likes quoting his impressive knowledge of part numbers for 60s and 70s hot rods. Together they could do great things, but they aren't on the same wavelength sometimes.
I also think back in the days the basis of the episodes had more freedom of movement because it wasn't a worldwide phenomenon of a show yet. They've transfered from "show up to a random place and have to troll craigslist to buy a car and drive it home" to "Hey look at this zany car that the company already owns that we know nothing about, how neat, anyway time to drive".

And I understand the logistics of why that change had to happen after D&F became quasi-celebrities, but I also wonder why they couldn't have transferred into RK being a show about getting a ton of work done on all of the project cars that have been around for 10 years instead of being a "shitheap of the week" thing. It's like they purposely missed the magic of what made it good in the first place. It wasn't originally about how wacky and dumb the cars were, it was about a couple of hot rodders doing hot rod things and that usually led to some really gnarly roadtrips and adventures.
At least in my opinion lol.
wall of text

I also think back in the days the basis of the episodes had more freedom of movement because it wasn't a worldwide phenomenon of a show yet. They've transfered from "show up to a random place and have to troll craigslist to buy a car and drive it home" to "Hey look at this zany car that the company already owns that we know nothing about, how neat, anyway time to drive".

And I understand the logistics of why that change had to happen after D&F became quasi-celebrities, but I also wonder why they couldn't have transferred into RK being a show about getting a ton of work done on all of the project cars that have been around for 10 years instead of being a "shitheap of the week" thing. It's like they purposely missed the magic of what made it good in the first place. It wasn't originally about how wacky and dumb the cars were, it was about a couple of hot rodders doing hot rod things and that usually led to some really gnarly roadtrips and adventures.
wall of text
Just ask yourself: How do we sell more ads with these two guys? More income, less expenses. RK was just some shit on YT when it started. Then everyone wanted their own streaming services. Then Discovery bought everything. Now I haven't seen an episode of RK since they stopped the free ones. This explains the whole thing.

Just ask yourself: How do we sell more ads with these two guys? More income, less expenses. RK was just some shit on YT when it started. Then everyone wanted their own streaming services. Then Discovery bought everything. Now I haven't seen an episode of RK since they stopped the free ones. This explains the whole thing.
"As soon as the money people get involved..."

wall of text
Yup.

Pull the ranchero out. Pick a shitty engine from the parts pile. Drive it somewhere far away and go racing.

Would be as good an episode today as it was 10yr ago.

Yup.

Pull the ranchero out. Pick a shitty engine from the parts pile. Drive it somewhere far away and go racing.

Would be as good an episode today as it was 10yr ago.
I first saw the one of the Crusher Camaro episodes in high school. My exact reaction was "Wait you can just drive a blown big block with dual carbs on the street? Like just drive it around? Road trip it? What the fuck?"

More of that shit would have been nice. It didn't have to be about shitty freak cars.
"Build the baddest thing you can possibly afford and get out and drive the piss out of it" is a much cooler mantra than
"Wow look strange dumb car you'll never see again after this episode"

They're also a lot more motivated sometimes than others. A 64 Galaxie 500 is one of my dream cars, and when they got one on the show, they half ass drove it, blew it up, whined, bought a highschool rebuild motor, whined, swapped it, blew it up, whined, and the episode was a flop. Finnegan can rebuild a race hemi on a park bench but they can't do some shade tree fuckery for a stock FE 390? Bullshit. More parking lot engine rebuilds! More suck! They should be doing it so I don't have to, that's why they make the big bucks:homer:

Realistically the cars that made that show were blasphemi and general mayhem, blasphemi is still in pieces and havet seen them wrench on mayhem in a few seasons. Also shout out to the super bee and crusher.

The episode I've rewatched the most were definitely the roadtrip across country with blasphemi and the mayhem build up, if they did more stuff like that it would be great. Although I think frieburger said the most viewed ever episode was avenatdor vs rat rod they did early on and that was much more like the current shows.

First 20ish? Episodes before the money rolled in were good... General Mayhem (v1.0 w RV Engine before they ruined it w that Hellcat swap) was peak RK in my opinion.

Havent watched an episode since it went behind a paywall.

BTW as someone who competes at events they've decided to "participate" and film at, I really dislike it as a competitor. "Hey lets throw a bottle on a stock small block and go oil down the track for the lulz" yea some of us are out here trying to win for real, spending money to do it. Fuckin "influencers" are ruining motorsports.

First 20ish? Episodes before the money rolled in were good... General Mayhem (v1.0 w RV Engine before they ruined it w that Hellcat swap) was peak RK in my opinion.

BTW as someone who competes at events they've decided to "participate" and film at, I really dislike it as a competitor. "Hey lets throw a bottle on a stock small block and go oil down the track for the lulz" yea some of us are out here trying to win for real, spending money to do it. Fuckin "influencers" are ruining motorsports.
it'd be nice if the events were taken more seriously.

I enjoy the random blasting down track experiments at closed tracks or in the middle of nowhere though.

I first saw the one of the Crusher Camaro episodes in high school. My exact reaction was "Wait you can just drive a blown big block with dual carbs on the street? Like just drive it around? Road trip it? What the fuck?"

More of that shit would have been nice. It didn't have to be about shitty freak cars.
"Build the baddest thing you can possibly afford and get out and drive the piss out of it" is a much cooler mantra than
"Wow look strange dumb car you'll never see again after this episode"

They're also a lot more motivated sometimes than others. A 64 Galaxie 500 is one of my dream cars, and when they got one on the show, they half ass drove it, blew it up, whined, bought a highschool rebuild motor, whined, swapped it, blew it up, whined, and the episode was a flop. Finnegan can rebuild a race hemi on a park bench but they can't do some shade tree fuckery for a stock FE 390? Bullshit. More parking lot engine rebuilds! More suck! They should be doing it so I don't have to, that's why they make the big bucks:homer:

FWIW, I'm kind of glad they stay away from Fords. They always makes fools of themselves with them and generally just make it easier to make Ford jokes. I don't like to use the word ignorant, but they're fully ignorant of nearly everything Ford and almost always fuck it up. Whether that's on purpose or not, I don't know.

I really wish they had more offroad/4WD stuff. Good stuff. Ian’s show is really disappointing.

Man, Full Custom Garage is awesome. That guy’s work is fantastic.

I really wish they had more offroad/4WD stuff. Good stuff. Ian’s show is really disappointing.

Man, Full Custom Garage is awesome. That guy’s work is fantastic.
Can’t remember if I posted it here or somewhere else, but Christian Hazel is working on a new show. Sounds like it’s the four-wheel-drive equivalent of hot Rod garage. I have high hopes for it.

I totally get what you're saying, and have kinda wondered what guys competing thought about it. The whole throw a bottle on a pos is totally played out anyway.

I don't think "influencers" are ruining motorsports at all. You have to look at it from the other side. 20 years ago, hot rodding and drag racing seemed pretty dead. Almost no V8 muscle car type cars available from the dealers. Now with how popular its gotten again, there are lots of good cars available, and parts are more plentiful. More events, ect.

Now, if you're a guy who's been doing it forever and using old stuff, doing your own work, I kinda get it. I'd imagine it's the same as wheelin has changed over the last 20 years. Decent used parts have dried up and it's too easy for any idiot to buy a jeep or tacoma, bolt parts on and clog the trail.

Can’t remember if I posted it here or somewhere else, but Christian Hazel is working on a new show. Sounds like it’s the four-wheel-drive equivalent of hot Rod garage. I have high hopes for it.

So where does that leave DED? Would they lean more towards the adventure side and less time in the shop?

I saw an ad that they have a 25% discount for .mil

So where does that leave DED? Would they lean more towards the adventure side and less time in the shop?
I believe they will continue to do what they are. Some wrenching, some adventuring. They seem to be doing well so I doubt there will be any changes.

Last edited:

I think DED has a perfect blend. HOWEVER, I really liked the 4Runner episodes where they spent one whole episode building, and the next wheeling.

Rock crawling events used to be how to finis your way over obsticals now with all the money involved it's point and hammer it, if you break it so what the sponser will buy you a new one.

Top Back Refresh