What's new

Motortrend!

Tony Angelo out.
News ! After 6 years and 100 episodes, I'm leaving Motor Trend. It's been an incredible experience, and I'm really proud of the work that I've done with Hot ROD Garage and Roadkill. I'm hugely thankful to everyone at MT that put me in a position to succeed-- this has been one of the great adventures of my life.
I'm going to focus on shooting and making
rad

content out of my shop in PA full time. I'm stoked to be home with the kids more, build more, race and drift more, and just have more fun. You'll be able to watch all my new adventures on Youtube, and there are some HUGE things in the works! Clink the link to subscribe to my YouTube Stay Tuned! LFG! My only regret is that I didn't buy more cars!

I liked HRG.

I really enjoyed how they gave up on the 302 swap because it was so much cutting to get it in... And then cut out everything plus some to put the sbc in.

People that don't speak Ford shouldn't touch Ford projects.

Oh jeeze who cares who casted the original block? :homer:

They didn't give up because they had to cut, they ditched it because it was a 200 hp 302 vs the 500 hp sbc.

The end of the show would have been lame with 200hp

Interesting how Youtube seems to pay enough bills for some of them to walk away from Motortrend. Youtube shows me old Power block hosts on youtube suggestions, too.

But I guess if Cleetus can go independent and make enough to finance a race track, then I'm guessing others are going to want to cash in, too.

Oh jeeze who cares who casted the original block? :homer:

They didn't give up because they had to cut, they ditched it because it was a 200 hp 302 vs the 500 hp sbc.

The end of the show would have been lame with 200hp

I don't know why they even thought they'd start with that 302.. Just the way they presented it.

"Durr it doesn't fit, stupid Ford! Sbc for the win! "

They got a what should have been a free 302 but then got a $6k sbc... No shit it made a lot more power.

Good for him. I didn't like him when he first appeared on hrg but him and lucky together turned out to be a really good show.
same.

Lucky's been putting out more on youtube too.
Is this the end of the OG MT and will it just be discovery reality TV in the future?

same.

Is this the end of the OG MT and will it just be discovery reality TV in the future?
What are their channels?

same.

I think professional media shops like motor trend are going to pivot to something. They kind of have to. They have tons of relationships and connections with manufacteres, vendors and facility owners. I can see them trying to use that as a "venue" to make money.

I think professional media shops like motor trend are going to pivot to something. They kind of have to. They have tons of relationships and connections with manufacteres, vendors and facility owners. I can see them trying to use that as a "venue" to make money.

But Holley and others are finding their way to Youtube channels. I believe the manufacturers are ahead of the Media houses with finding new partners.

But Holley and others are finding their way to Youtube channels. I believe the manufacturers are ahead of the Media houses with finding new partners.
motion raceworks and cleetus
rotiform and hoonigan.
why not just own your own youtube channels basically.

I don't know why they even thought they'd start with that 302.. Just the way they presented it.

"Durr it doesn't fit, stupid Ford! Sbc for the win! "

They got a what should have been a free 302 but then got a $6k sbc... No shit it made a lot more power.

Because they had the 302

It seemed like they thought it would be an easy drop in once they knew they had to hack, they figured they'd put something with more power in. The sbc may have been what the sponsor had.

Keep being butt hurt over something so dumb though :flipoff2:

Doubtful. Christian Hazel just started filming a show this week for MotorTrend.

If I had to guess Tony wants to be closer to his kids. I believe one has health issues.
This, I'm sure he enjoyed being in PA more during Covid and your right his daugher had a liver transplant I believe.

Seems like he came from money.
Yeah but not that kind of money. A trust fund will pay for your mortgage and phone bill or whatever. It would need to be huge to pay for the kind of toys he has.

His parents owned a general store. Not exactly blue blood. He worked for it and it's rewards are paying dividends after Roadkill launched an entire platform of car antics. It really did. Just wish I had the forethought back in the day to publish some of our old antics and builds, hell it would probably still carry weight but the 2001 camcorder quality would be annoying.

Screenshot_20220303-105243.png

Funny how everyone has to put an excuse on why someone else is successful :homer:

Pretty sure he started a boat performance shop a long time ago. Then was a magazine editor, then roadkill?

I think at his level, he now gets a lot of sponsors which help fun projects a lot.

I was talking to a "YouTuber" the other day and he basically said the sponsorship is the only real gain, as the money isn't all that great.

Funny how everyone has to put an excuse on why someone else is successful :homer:

Pretty sure he started a boat performance shop a long time ago. Then was a magazine editor, then roadkill?

I think at his level, he now gets a lot of sponsors which help fun projects a lot.

I was talking to a "YouTuber" the other day and he basically said the sponsorship is the only real gain, as the money isn't all that great.
Funny how you assume I'm making an excuse. Just questions and speculation on my part...much like yours.

I don't think magazine editors get paid much, especially these days, and I think it was Frank that said the MT shows don't pay a lot either.

Sure on the sponsors. How much do you think he personally has in that sprint boat or Blasphemi?

I figure the money is from t-shirt and swag sales. They must make good bank with the buy swag to get entries to win stuff that many YTers are doing.

Funny how you assume I'm making an excuse. Just questions and speculation on my part...much like yours.

I don't think magazine editors get paid much, especially these days, and I think it was Frank that said the MT shows don't pay a lot either.

Sure on the sponsors. How much do you think he personally has in that sprint boat or Blasphemi?

Not assumptions, I've watched all the road kill and many of the Fins garage. They stopped by a very modest family store in roadkill and he's talked a little about the boat shop before.

He seems like a driven guy. He's not afraid to buy something in California and drive it home. You think he just has some endless trust fund that he uses for all the projects?

I know people who came frome money and now sit in jail or a trailer smoking dope. What does it matter? He's made something of himself, weather he had a bit of a head start or not. People like that will get there regardless. I look at cletus the same way, people will cry he came from money. But it doesn't matter, he's a smart business dude and hustler.

I figure the money is from t-shirt and swag sales. They must make good bank with the buy swag to get entries to win stuff that many YTers are doing.

I think it's a factor also.

The big thing is to expand as much as possible, look at cletus with the freedom factory, cletus and cars, motion race works, ect.

There are other YT guys that have just gotten huge off only YT, but I think that's a little rare.

The big thing is to expand as much as possible, look at cletus with the freedom factory, cletus and cars, motion race works, ect.

There are other YT guys that have just gotten huge off only YT, but I think that's a little rare.

This was my assumption as well, he's got fwf, roadkill and youtube. He probably makes a few k a month on youtube I think he said that the majority of that money was going to Newbern as his salary basically. Then be has t shit sales you have to think he makes 10 bucks or so off each shirt and 15-20 per sweatshirt. Then f w f him and newburn get a salary plus a budget to make the cars, I'm not sure if they get to keep them and the parts though.

I know he he does a ton of horse trading and being that he is 'famous' people probably give him better deals than Joe off the street. He has a large enough audience that he can set his prices higher than a normal person. Not to mentioned all of the free stuff he gets as well as what he gets paid to pimp.

Top Back Refresh