What's new

Motortrend!

Dirt every day is what made me decide to get back into wheeling! Wife and I stumbled across dirt every day one lazy sunday during xmas 2020 and were hooked, burned through all the seasons in about a month and I started the hunt for a cheap shit box to get back into wheeling finally locked one down this past December.

Last edited:
Thought I'd interest the woman by watching DED but she noped right out of the room seeing some of the hard-core shit :lmao: I didn't think any of it was too crazy :confused:

Seems she has an issue with heights. Must be because she is so short :laughing:

Faster with Fin was decent. I always crack up when hot rod guys try to build offroad stuff. Fucking parallel 4 link with 1/2" hiems.

"did you cycle everything?"

"Yep"

4link mount has like 1.5" to the frame:homer::laughing:

I told my wife the panhard bar was going to rip off when they were building it.

But, I got to hand it to them for just going after it. I'm sure I'd easily make a 10 second car into a 14 second car if I tried improving it :laughing:

Dirt every day is what made me decide to get back into wheeling! Wife and I stumbled across dirt every day one lazy sunday during xmas 2020 and were hooked, burned through all the seasons in about a month and I started the hunt for a cheap shit box to get back into wheeling finally locked one down this past December.
when it first came out years and years ago i watched the episode where the college kids come over and take apart the motorhome and i thought it was stupid so never gave it a second chance

then about 6months ago i watched one of the newer episodes and after watching a few episodes it became my new favorite show right next to the dukes :laughing::grinpimp: binge watched the entire series(backwards started with current season and went back each season)

when it first came out years and years ago i watched the episode where the college kids come over and take apart the motorhome and i thought it was stupid so never gave it a second chance

then about 6months ago i watched one of the newer episodes and after watching a few episodes it became my new favorite show right next to the dukes :laughing::grinpimp: binge watched the entire series(backwards started with current season and went back each season)

I've been re-watching old ded episodes, forgot how good some of them are. Some are pretty dumb, but always funny.

New Faster with Finnegan has the vette cart back vs the Pro2 truck. Fun times. Some of the fabrication choices made me cringe :laughing:

Was hoping to see Finnegan drive the Pro2 a bit more but I know we'll be seeing that in the future.
That 4 link was terrible. He drove the pro 2 over the credits. I watched the first two episodes of the season today and I really was unimpressed.

Faster with Finnegan is great...because it's Newbern teaching the flatbrim Cali bro how to redneck.

It's pretty much Newbern's show in my opinion, just has Finnegan's name on it so folks will click. All Finnegan does is TIG and drive.
Gin is from the south. He was a mini trucker tho, so Cali bro is also accurate.

Do you watch Finnigans garage? He is a knowledgeable dude, especially with the jet boats and drag racing. I've learned a ton of shit from that show I had no idea. Newburn is also knowledgeable, but I feel like Fin is usually schooling him.

For some reason Faster with fin has a different vib now that you mention it, fin seems to kinda play dumb.

That 4 link was terrible. He drove the pro 2 over the credits. I watched the first two episodes of the season today and I really was unimpressed.

I'm hoping that it had to due with Newbern getting covid. It definitely seemed very rushed, you would think that they would have projects planned out and parts ordered. Then when they are on screen they talk it out and 'decide' on what has already been decided.

It definitely doesn't feel scripted though like some of the shows, has more of some friends screwing around and filming vibe. Although I wish they would take it more seriously at times. tlThat was what made roadkill cool in the beginning was that even if they were working with subpar clapped out stuff they had to get a few hundred miles away so it had to atleast kinda work. Where on Finnigans show it seems they just sorta hack shit together a fast as possible.

Gin is from the south. He was a mini trucker tho, so Cali bro is also accurate.

Do you watch Finnigans garage? He is a knowledgeable dude, especially with the jet boats and drag racing. I've learned a ton of shit from that show I had no idea. Newburn is also knowledgeable, but I feel like Fin is usually schooling him.

For some reason Faster with fin has a different vib now that you mention it, fin seems to kinda play dumb.

On Finnegan's garage early he did stuff. Now he just talks and TIGs. He hasn't really been doing shit on roadkill either. If you pay attention to it, he doesn't do much on work on camera.

He does seem knowledgeable, but it seems like everything is farmed out, or done by Newbern and Cotton while Finnegan talks with his hands in his pockets. Which sucks, because he is knowledgeable and used to do a lot of his own work.

The 4 link would have been better if they just lowered the mounts on the chassis side. It's not like they HAD to go with drag racing brackets that would require them to move the chassis side anyway. Ruff stuff and 50 other vendors would hand them the correct stuff for cheap to free but I'd bet someone already had that drag shit hanging around or a local speed shop had it on the shelf.

The rest of the rig wasn't terrible but of course it could have been better if they spent an extra day or three on it. 🤦

The rest of the rig wasn't terrible but of course it could have been better if they spent an extra day or three on it. 🤦
Both of the episodes I watched yesterday, they kind of had something halfway together, then bang they were on the track and the car was finished. I have worked around some talented fabricators and getting a long travel IFS a-arms in a day is a pretty tall order.

And yes I criticize Fred when he has an instantly finished car. Early episodes (of DED) had a much more flexible timetable. It seems to be getting more rigid and they want the cars to be more extravagant.

Watched a new one last night. Same theme. Slap shit together and go out and watch it barely work.

I feel like this season does kinda suck. The first 2 seemed way more realistic for someone buying a budget rig and making it better. Which is what I thought the show was about.

Frank, what is the big rush on ded? I get having 30+ people all doing their thing cost money. But I'd think maybe they could sneak some time in on the project between and the first drive.

Which leads me to ask. Do they build a project and go out and drive it shortly after like they portray on the show? Or do they bang out multiple projects in the shop and then go out and test them?

Obviously I realize some shows are back east or whatever. But the majority are at Fred's. Well they used to be.

Watched a new one last night. Same theme. Slap shit together and go out and watch it barely work.

I feel like this season does kinda suck. The first 2 seemed way more realistic for someone buying a budget rig and making it better. Which is what I thought the show was about.

Which leads me to ask. Do they build a project and go out and drive it shortly after like they portray on the show? Or do they bang out multiple projects in the shop and then go out and test them?

I felt the same way about the most recent episodes teamed up with roadkill being meh is dissemination. Hopefully ded has a good season coming up.

I think it depends, I know when they have a track rental they try and shoot a few shows at a time as that is one of the most expensive parts of the production. I would assume ded does more build then drive but it seems like they have really messed with schedules since covid.

Watched the newest DeD last night.

I really need to get one of the 3 wrecked but running vehicles in my yard out and make a shitbox funtoy outtah it. I was :laughing::laughing: the whole episode. Gonna talk with some freinds friday night and see if they want one of the other 2 to build so we can go rally em around the neighborhoods.

Frank, what is the big rush on ded? I get having 30+ people all doing their thing cost money. But I'd think maybe they could sneak some time in on the project between and the first drive.

Obviously I realize some shows are back east or whatever. But the majority are at Fred's. Well they used to be.
I think it’s mostly production costs. Originally it was Fred and a guy with a camera. Then it became two guys. Now it seems to be a producer, director, a camera guy and a helper. Often times there is also a guy who drives the truck and trailer. As time goes on it is getting more professional and less a guy in his yard with the camera.

They used to shoot them as shown. If they are taking vehicles far from home for the payoff video they might build two or three at a time and then take all three vehicles to the various places they are going to wheel.

Last year they built a couple vehicles, took mom’s spaghetti on ultimate adventure and they were supposed to pay off another vehicle in moab on the way to UA. Unfortunately Dave was behind on his truck and they ended up working on the mom’s spaghetti instead of doing the payoff in moab.

A lot of the trucks for this year are going to be cool.

On Finnegan's garage early he did stuff. Now he just talks and TIGs. He hasn't really been doing shit on roadkill either. If you pay attention to it, he doesn't do much on work on camera.

He does seem knowledgeable, but it seems like everything is farmed out, or done by Newbern and Cotton while Finnegan talks with his hands in his pockets. Which sucks, because he is knowledgeable and used to do a lot of his own work.

Finnegan has definitely changed the last couple years. I had just been attributing it to him have too many things going on at the same time..

Finnegan and frieburger together has been a terrible combination lately. They seem to have lost all of their mojo.

Finnegan has definitely changed the last couple years. I had just been attributing it to him have too many things going on at the same time..

Finnegan and frieburger together has been a terrible combination lately. They seem to have lost all of their mojo.

Yeah the roadkill garage episodes feel more like old school roadkill.

I still enjoy it all, but, it does seem like some of the magic is missing. Frieburger seems annoyed by Fin a lot of the time.

Funny because all the covid episodes where they split up and did random pair ups like Fin and the brown skin drifter dude (can't think of his name :laughing:) I was thinking that the og pair was missing. Now that you guys mentioned, the last couple roadkills seem off. Maybe Fin is changing a little with his own show and popular YT channel? Or maybe they just need to get back in a groove.

The spokane episode in the snow had all the ingredients to be good, but for some reason wasn't barely keeping my attention.

I think Finnegan has too much shit going on to be good at any of it anymore. Sure seems like he's picked up a ton of sponsorships on his personal stuff too, guy has a ton of big $$$ builds going on compared to the other MotorTrend hosts that I'd assume make similar money from the company. He's drifted more and more toward the Discovery car show host type the last few years.

I finally finished the Ultimate adventure vids on youtube.......7 min long clips that are basically drivers meetings and interviews.....pretty sad.
100% agree here. I've always thought the UA coverage has been good (but not fantastic) but this years left a lot to be desired. UA content has so much potential.

I literally thought the UA videos on YouTube were trailers for the full episodes on Motor Trend.

All the money they spend creating content that people want to see on other shows, you'd think UA would be a freebie since it's already happening all they have to do is film and edit.

New FwF was pretty fun...they definitely upped the sponsorship ante for that show this season. It'd be nice to just get a fresh custom-built trussed 9" for everything you work on :laughing:
I really enjoyed how they gave up on the 302 swap because it was so much cutting to get it in... And then cut out everything plus some to put the sbc in.

People that don't speak Ford shouldn't touch Ford projects.

New FwF was pretty fun...they definitely upped the sponsorship ante for that show this season. It'd be nice to just get a fresh custom-built trussed 9" for everything you work on :laughing:
You don't have a stack in your garage? Bummer for you. :D :D

Top Back Refresh