What's new

Matt's Off Road Recovery.

What's with the Harbor Freight winch hate? The one I have is a Road Shock 10,000 and it just won't die. Have some of you people even seen the selection of winches and gear at HF lately?

IMG_20220704_110504635.jpg

IMG_20220721_174633457.jpg

IMG_20220721_174002665.jpg
IMG_20220721_174008277.jpg

Seriously folks what other store is national, open 7 days a week stocked with any essential recovery item you might need?
They need to build one here. It would do really well.

In one of Rory’s videos he said why he doesn’t run pto winches and that’s because he can make changes on the fly. I don’t know shit about fuck when it comes to pto winches tho

In one of Rory’s videos he said why he doesn’t run pto winches and that’s because he can make changes on the fly. I don’t know shit about fuck when it comes to pto winches tho

True PTO winch? You can only run one, maybe two. Unless you're talking about PTO driven hydraulics, then it's a shit load more plumbing and potential failure points. If the pump fails, you're done.

Electric, if one winch fails, you just use one of the other 12 he has, or move one of them in to the failure's place.

True PTO winch? You can only run one, maybe two. Unless you're talking about PTO driven hydraulics, then it's a shit load more plumbing and potential failure points. If the pump fails, you're done.

Electric, if one winch fails, you just use one of the other 12 he has, or move one of them in to the failure's place.
... or his alternator fails and he gets nothing done. :flipoff2:

Dual alternators and a 3rd in the box (to use or sell to someone on the trail, especially if he has a motor that fits GM alternators) would still be cheaper than a spare hydraulic pump...

Aaron Z
True, but on a real recovery (not a "hook a rope to it and yank it" recovery) I wouldn't want to wait on the alternators to charge the batteries back up or the winch motor to cool down. Don't get me wrong, my Braden is electric, and it never overheats, but it will kill the commercial truck battery I run after a while. Most planetary winches will overheat pretty quick on a hard pull. Granted, 90% of Matt's recoveries he posts are yank rope jobs in sand, but you have to wonder how many he turns down or doesn't make a video of because he has to call in someone else to do it. The recent video with Dave Sparks is an extreme case, but I have seen him pull in the guy with Trail Mater for jobs before. Again, I'm not saying every wrecker/recovery vehicle needs a PTO or hydraulic winch, or even that Matt needs one, but I would have to think that the cheapest electric winches on the market may not be the best idea. Just my .02

True, but on a real recovery (not a "hook a rope to it and yank it" recovery) I wouldn't want to wait on the alternators to charge the batteries back up or the winch motor to cool down. Don't get me wrong, my Braden is electric, and it never overheats, but it will kill the commercial truck battery I run after a while. Most planetary winches will overheat pretty quick on a hard pull. Granted, 90% of Matt's recoveries he posts are yank rope jobs in sand, but you have to wonder how many he turns down or doesn't make a video of because he has to call in someone else to do it. The recent video with Dave Sparks is an extreme case, but I have seen him pull in the guy with Trail Mater for jobs before. Again, I'm not saying every wrecker/recovery vehicle needs a PTO or hydraulic winch, or even that Matt needs one, but I would have to think that the cheapest electric winches on the market may not be the best idea. Just my .02
I thought the same thing. Spending all of that money on fab stuff and going with Harnor Freight winches.

For whoever it was who said Matt needs to use a skidsteer

I know exactly where that is and it's super steep. The road up there looks better than it used to be since I lived there. Skid steer was a smart move there. Kinda cool to see my old stomping grounds

I don’t think he is worried about failing. If it does not work he will cut it off and try again.

I think trail mater is more because he doenst currently have a vehicle with a boom and his two main recovery vehicles are light in comparison. Once he has the tow truck up and running, I bet that will change.

Warn 8247 would be to have on there, but you could buy 5 HF winches for the price of the warn.

Does it bug anyone else how he just lets his dogs out to run up on other people and their dogs?

Does it bug anyone else how he just lets his dogs out to run up on other people and their dogs?
Absolutely it does. I like my dog. That doesn’t mean I like yours. Or think it’s ok, cute, funny or appropriate for your mutt to run all over the god damn place.

I think it's dumb, because sooner or later he's gonna run into a pibbul.

Or more likely run over one of them. Shit happens, and having to shoot your dog due to a crushed pelvis sucks. Especially when it's a day-in, day-out profession, the odds are not in your favor.

Yep, my wife lets our dog do that and it bugs me every time.
Yes, our dog is very nice, but if someone is terrified of dogs it could be frightening.

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh