What's new

Matt's Off Road Recovery.

Agreed, but they would be unlikely to break a 30k winch and the cost difference isn't that much more over something in the 20k range in an industrial winch. But it would add a ton of weight and complexity to the truck. Still, a 30k on the back and a nice 10k-20k on the front would be awesome.
100 lbs extra maybe? Over a 15k electric with all the extra hydraulic jazz and figuring 2 batteries for the electric

Something else everyone who says he should be using a hydraulic winch immagine being back in the middle of nowhere and blow a hydraulic line. Now you are without a winch and have an oil spill to clean up!

As for the job he turned down let Sparks do it he'll tear up several thousands of dollars worth of equipment to everyones satisfaction

I don't like the click bait titles either but youtube has convinced people they have to use them to get people to watch

It's not so much to get people to watch, it's that youtube pushes videos that get clicked on. CTR (click through rate) is a major metric in how much they push your vids. It sucks but it's necessary, otherwise you get no impressions (it showing your vid to people).

Gpm depends on how fast ya spin it, but yes I was thinking of a warn or Ramsey and in my head about 12 gpm, with is, what like 75% of 17gpm? So yeah, excessive :flipoff2:

Either way, easy peasy. And far superior for long use and questionable heavy use versus electric. Too much? Just won't lift. Won't burn up anything or stress any parts
The problem is finding a pump that small and can that can rev up, the pump I was looking at was a 1.45CI pump that made 17GPM at ~2900 RPM on the pump with a 6" pulley (pump redline was 3000 RPM).
When the pump was engaged they would have to keep the engine under 3000 RPM (assuming a 6" pulley on the crank), so limited or no winching while moving.
At 2000RPM it would put out 12 GPM, at 2900RPM with 17GPM and 3000PSI it would use about 30HP (in electric motor HP whoch Surplus Center claims you need 60HP on a gas motor to equal).
The other issue is that winch speed would be directly proportional to engine RPM, sitting at idle it would be slow whereas a electric winch won't care as long as the alternator can keep up.
The alternative would be a closed center hydraulic system (which can vary the GPM output to match the load and the pressure always stays high), but if you think that a $750 open center pump is bad, you should sit down before you look up one of those pumps.

Either way, a 12GPM and 17GPM valve are not going to be much different in price, neither is the pump, the tank, the cooler, etc. The lines and fitting will be a little cheaper, but I would be surprised if they were more than $500-800 less for everything but the winch to build a 12GPM system vs a 17GPM system and all my prices were shopping at Surplus Center, eBay, etc vs going to the local hydraulic shop to get what they keep in stock which will likely double or quadruple the price.

Now, if they JUST wanted to use hydraulics to lift/lower the boom, that they could run off of the power steering pump and it could be under $1000, but adding a winch that may run constantly in the heat adds exponentially to the price.

Given all that, they can probbaly afford to buy a spare winch and store it behind the seat (or use it to set the boom height before letting the chain take the load) for what they are saving in going to an electric winch.

Not sure their chopped up truck has enough ass to justify a 30k winch. I dunno. I'd take a 10 or 20k winch Hydraulic over an electric for random picking up of cars from holes
In the video with Heavy D they said its sitting around 9k right now which appears to have most of the heavy stuff on.

Aaron Z

1) don't winch while moving, that's dumb when trying to recover some other pile.

2) yup, high idle about 2k rpm and call it a day, it can hang out on the clutch to whatever speed you want, doesn't matter. Or over speed it a bit, what ever. The pump won't care and the winch won't care.

I'm impressed they are at 9k lbs, but that is still damned light for a 30k winch.

A real cheapskate would watch classifieds for a PTO winch off something MDT sized and then slap a hydraulic motor on it with a relief set to not break shit.
Or use a pony motor off a low boy. Mount an electric start switch for it in the cab if ya wanna get fancy, but firing up your winch with a pull starter would be comical :laughing:

are you guys talking about Sparks's giant green truck or Matt's yellow one?

Matt's striaght said the yellow truck is for Jeeps/SxS's not deuces and heavy equipment. I don't think a Jeep needs a 30k winch :flipoff2:

are you guys talking about Sparks's giant green truck or Matt's yellow one?

Matt's striaght said the yellow truck is for Jeeps/SxS's not deuces and heavy equipment. I don't think a Jeep needs a 30k winch :flipoff2:
The new big wrecker Matt is building. He does lots of recovery's on the lake in the mud. While you might not think you need a 30k winch when you start dealing with vehicles stuck in the mud the pulls get heavy quick even on a small SXS.

The new big wrecker Matt is building. He does lots of recovery's on the lake in the mud. While you might not think you need a 30k winch when you start dealing with vehicles stuck in the mud the pulls get heavy quick even on a small SXS.
good point, that thick muck can be a bitch. suspect they'd use the big stretchy rope at that point tho to get the momentum assistance

good point, that thick muck can be a bitch. suspect they'd use the big stretchy rope at that point tho to get the momentum assistance

Matt and Paul always talk about lifting to break the suction. So between the boom and the pull, it might be enough.

Can they get any cheaper than the Harbor freight winches they use
I was also questioning their winch brand choice but as much as they use them on all of their vehicles, I doubt he would run them the heavy wrecker if they had problems with them.

They ran for years without winches, so I don't think what they do with them now is a real strong endorsement. Desert /= Louisiana mud...

What is the difference between a Warn full of Chinese parts and a Chinese winch full of Chinese parts?
The warn badged winch with chinese parts was part of a QC lot that passed. The chinese off-brand winch was part of a QC lot that failed :flipoff2:

There is a good writeup in the electrical section about tearing down and upgrading the cheap chinese winches, I have a $260 12k that sounded like it was full of gravel right out of the box I've been meaning to spiff up but haven't yet gotten around to.

The warn badged winch with chinese parts was part of a QC lot that passed. The chinese off-brand winch was part of a QC lot that failed
Yukon-Gear-logo.gif-400x400.png
USA_Standard_logo.jpg

Please try again. The badlands Apex has a higher IP rating than the comparable Warn. :homer:
Have you used them both in wet conditions? I know of two people whose brand new badlands didn't survive a quick dunks through stream crossings. Haven't had the same experience with warn despite way more of them in use on the trail.

Have you used them both in wet conditions? I know of two people whose brand new badlands didn't survive a quick dunks through stream crossings. Haven't had the same experience with warn despite way more of them in use on the trail.
All 4 of my Badlands live outside and three of them have been underwater several times with no issues.

What's with the Harbor Freight winch hate? The one I have is a Road Shock 10,000 and it just won't die. Have some of you people even seen the selection of winches and gear at HF lately?

IMG_20220704_110504635.jpg

IMG_20220721_174633457.jpg

IMG_20220721_174002665.jpg
IMG_20220721_174008277.jpg

Seriously folks what other store is national, open 7 days a week stocked with any essential recovery item you might need?

Last edited:
What's with the Harbor Freight winch hate? The one I have is a Road Shock 10,000 and it just won't die. Have some of you people even seen the selection of winches and gear at HF lately?

Seriously folks what other store is national, open 7 days a week stocked with any essential recovery item you might need?
When they first came out they were not that good, plus they weren't made in America. Everyone made fun of Japanese cars when they first got here, now days according to the Toyota crowd they invented off-roading. We used to call the Toyota Corolla The Corroded Toylet, Datsun's were slow and driven by grandma's 10 miles under the speed limit.

Top Back Refresh